Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

It would be helpful to add your system details to your signature (see my sig below for what information is allowed in a signature).

What GPU are you using?
What video connector are you using (HDMI, DP, DVI)?
Does the entire screen blink when mouse moves? Or just the area around the mouse?
Did this problem happen before you moved the Logitech receiver to a USB 2.0 port or only after?

I had problem with logitech receivers as well (stuttering mouse movement). I tried to switch ports a couple of times and now it seems to be working.

The cause of my problem seemed to be relatively clear to me, though, because the mouse worked well when I held it very close to the logitech receiver. :) I just don't understand why the problem has become increasingly apparent only under macOS.

What GPU are you using?
What video connector are you using (HDMI, DP, DVI)?
Does the entire screen blink when mouse moves? Or just the area around the mouse?
Did this problem happen before you moved the Logitech receiver to a USB 2.0 port or only after?
Basically i have almost similar hardware as you, only GPU from Sapphire RX580 with 4gb memory
Connected via DP, blinks in random places
No, without receiver same story, i took usb extension lead and routed to my desk *(next to mousepad)
But after i changed refresh rate from 200 to 60 (i have 200hz monitor) and resolution from scalled to native it seems now its fine. But anyway i like to have high refresh rate ^:(
And is it ok what monitor saying no signal when Mac Os load progress going to half, and screen is comming back in login screen?

Basically i have almost similar hardware as you, only GPU from Sapphire RX580 with 4gb memory
Connected via DP, blinks in random places
No, without receiver same story, i took usb extension lead and routed to my desk *(next to mousepad)
But after i changed refresh rate from 200 to 60 (i have 200hz monitor) and resolution from scalled to native it seems now its fine. But anyway i like to have high refresh rate ^:(
Okay, good to know the screen is okay. I have tried 60Hz, 120Hz, and 144Hz with no issues on my AOC Agon 27" monitor, but 144Hz is its limit.
And is it ok what monitor saying no signal when Mac Os load progress going to half, and screen is comming back in login screen?
Yes this is normal. macOS does two things during boot:
  • Switches from generic VGA driver to AMDRadeon driver
  • Switches screen resolution (and possibly refresh rate)
These two operations can cause delays in some cases, so the monitor might temporarily say "no signal". Again, this is okay.

Okay, good to know the screen is okay. I have tried 60Hz, 120Hz, and 144Hz with no issues on my AOC Agon 27" monitor, but 144Hz is its limit.

Yes this is normal. macOS does two things during boot:
  • Switches from generic VGA driver to AMDRadeon driver
  • Switches screen resolution (and possibly refresh rate)
These two operations can cause delays in some cases, so the monitor might temporarily say "no signal". Again, this is okay.
I will keep it in mind about 144Hz; my monitor is also AOC but 34 inch. Now need to order Fenvi card, and I think it's done. Maybe later, when I will find how I can use those Thunderbolts, I will try to flash them as per instruction.

Now I am in big hope about itx. :) Maybe one day you will decide to build something compact because all your instructions are so clear and easy to follow, and this day will be a dream for many people. Thank you for your efforts and also for everyone involved in supporthing hackintosh))

Hi @CaseySJ and @one07 Are any of you still stuck with the broken MCU Update?? @sambear sorry you had to go to the trouble of getting a new mobo! So after I got the RMA notice from gigabyte support I sent back a plea that basically said that if the board is toast, I'm happy to be a guinea pig and test out something that their engineers / technicians could come up with as I was not keen (nor happy) to rip out the motherboard. To my pleasant surprise the came back with a new MCU Firmware updater and the instructions : "Please do not install memory on DDR4_B2 slot. Please use this attached tool to update the MCU firmware. After updating the MCU firmware successfully, please then you can install memory on B2 slot to check" To give myself the best chance of success this was my procedure (note I'm on BIOS version F5a) :
1. Remove all RAM except for DDR4_A1
2. Boot into BIOS and disable XMP
3. Boot into Windows and uninstall RGB Fusion
4. Uninstall iCUE
5. Complete shutdown and pull the power for a couple of minutes
6. Boot into windows and run their provided MCU firmware updater as Admin. The tool complained that there was a Chipid mismatch! but had a Force Update button. It took a couple of minutes but ran successfully.
7. Complete shutdown and pull the power for a couple of minutes and re-install the rest of the RAM (in my case I had all four DIMM slots populated.
8. Booted back into BIOS and re-enabled XMP (Note this was already looking good with the mobo having the default blue RGB rather than the white after the failed update)
9. Booted into Windows and installed RGB Fusion and iCUE and viola! Everything working as per normal again! Including my layered iCUE ram lighting profiles (so good!).

Interestingly I checked the files and they appear identical but the the fix works, not sure how they got the force update to happen (mind you I haven't checked the powershell scripts to find out whether it's an option in there which it may well be).

Regardless, I'm attaching the file they provided me in the hopes that it might help someone. Please use at your own risk and take whatever precautions you can as I did. That all said, maybe like myself your willing to give it a go just to avoid RMAing the mobo to get it repaired and/or replaced. In my case it worked a treat and I no longer have to worry about an RMA and will be very very cautious of any future firmware updates until they have been out in the wild for at least a few months. Lesson Learnt.

Again, good luck and hopefully this helps someone out there.

Cheers.
MD5 sum of firmware bin is the same in ZIP-archive from Gigabyte site and in your ZIP-archive:
MD5 (5702_V1015.bin) = 665af7e19732eae7c63e5876e18549ee

IT5702FUT_V1.0.15.ps1 has diff, to the new version added "Force Update" button and new warning message.
New important message in firmware utility: "Please Keep DIMM_B2 empty!"
screen 1.png
screen 2.png

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ and @one07 Are any of you still stuck with the broken MCU Update?? @sambear sorry you had to go to the trouble of getting a new mobo! So after I got the RMA notice from gigabyte support I sent back a plea that basically said that if the board is toast, I'm happy to be a guinea pig and test out something that their engineers / technicians could come up with as I was not keen (nor happy) to rip out the motherboard. To my pleasant surprise the came back with a new MCU Firmware updater and the instructions : "Please do not install memory on DDR4_B2 slot. Please use this attached tool to update the MCU firmware. After updating the MCU firmware successfully, please then you can install memory on B2 slot to check" To give myself the best chance of success this was my procedure (note I'm on BIOS version F5a) :
1. Remove all RAM except for DDR4_A1
2. Boot into BIOS and disable XMP
3. Boot into Windows and uninstall RGB Fusion
4. Uninstall iCUE
5. Complete shutdown and pull the power for a couple of minutes
6. Boot into windows and run their provided MCU firmware updater as Admin. The tool complained that there was a Chipid mismatch! but had a Force Update button. It took a couple of minutes but ran successfully.
7. Complete shutdown and pull the power for a couple of minutes and re-install the rest of the RAM (in my case I had all four DIMM slots populated.
8. Booted back into BIOS and re-enabled XMP (Note this was already looking good with the mobo having the default blue RGB rather than the white after the failed update)
9. Booted into Windows and installed RGB Fusion and iCUE and viola! Everything working as per normal again! Including my layered iCUE ram lighting profiles (so good!).

Interestingly I checked the files and they appear identical but the the fix works, not sure how they got the force update to happen (mind you I haven't checked the powershell scripts to find out whether it's an option in there which it may well be).

Regardless, I'm attaching the file they provided me in the hopes that it might help someone. Please use at your own risk and take whatever precautions you can as I did. That all said, maybe like myself your willing to give it a go just to avoid RMAing the mobo to get it repaired and/or replaced. In my case it worked a treat and I no longer have to worry about an RMA and will be very very cautious of any future firmware updates until they have been out in the wild for at least a few months. Lesson Learnt.

Again, good luck and hopefully this helps someone out there.

Cheers.

OMG @Jno I love you... Thank you so much. It worked!!! :clap: I think removing the memory from the DDR4 B2 slot did the trick. I have no idea why they didn't tell me about it.

@CaseySJ I think you can update the guide. I'm pretty sure that the problem can be solved in the same way for other users.

...@CaseySJ I think you can update the guide...
Good to see that it worked for you as well. Quite a relief, I'm sure. Guide was already updated at 4:40 am (Pacific Time).

@CaseySJ
Where you able to see post N 750?

about the USB 3.0 issue on a B460 motherboard?
I'm unable to get it working.

@CaseySJ
Where you able to see post N 750?

about the USB 3.0 issue on a B460 motherboard?
I'm unable to get it working.
Someone else also reported a problem with Asus BIOS and iGPU on a Z490 board. I believe a newer version fixed the problem.

We've not had much of a problem with enabling USB ports. Are you sure your config files are okay?
  • USBPorts.kext is defining 20 ports, but limit is 15 unless we enable XhciPortLimit kernel quirk in OpenCore config.plist. Is that quirk enabled?
  • Please open your config.plist in OpenCore Configurator and post screenshots of these pages:
    • ACPI
    • Kernel

Someone else also reported a problem with Asus BIOS and iGPU on a Z490 board. I believe a newer version fixed the problem.

We've not had much of a problem with enabling USB ports. Are you sure your config files are okay?
  • USBPorts.kext is defining 20 ports, but limit is 15 unless we enable XhciPortLimit kernel quirk in OpenCore config.plist. Is that quirk enabled?
  • Please open your config.plist in OpenCore Configurator and post screenshots of these pages:
    • ACPI
    • Kernel
Thanks for your reply!!
I'm away from home for a few days. When back I post the screenshots.
  • XhciPortLimit kernel quirk in OpenCore config.plist is enabled. If I disable it the port count is reduced to 15 but nothing changes.
  • I've written to Asus telling the issue, hopefully they solve and release a new Bios.
Thanks a lot for now!

Back