Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi:
I’m trying to use only the iGPU but no signal (can’t see BIOS image). I reset CSMOS and remove the battery. But my motherboard only boots with a discrite GPU.
What’s the problem?

Hello @Rainmaker07,

Fortunately the Nvidia GTX 780 will continue to work. It is better to use the GTX 780 over the iGPU. The latest WhateverGreen will also work just fine.

Luckily the Z490 Vision G is still available. Good to grab one before it's gone!

Looks like the Vision G won’t be available for much longer. Luckily I just got one of the last from Amazon here for 150 euros. (60 euros off the normal price)
Was thinking about getting a 10600F instead but it’s probably wiser to get one with an iGPU in case the 780 doesn’t get support for future MacOS updates, right?

Looks like the Vision G won’t be available for much longer. Luckily I just got one of the last from Amazon here for 150 euros. (60 euros off the normal price)
Was thinking about getting a 10600F instead but it’s probably wiser to get one with an iGPU in case the 780 doesn’t get support for future MacOS updates, right?
iGPUs are extremely valuable in today's crazy GPU market. Absolutely get one with iGPU and hold on to your Nvidia 780 until AMD GPU prices become reasonable again!

Hi:
I’m trying to use only the iGPU but no signal (can’t see BIOS image). I reset CSMOS and remove the battery. But my motherboard only boots with a discrite GPU.
What’s the problem?
In BIOS, is Initial Display Output set to iGPU? And Internal Graphics is set to Enabled (not "Auto")?

In BIOS, is Initial Display Output set to iGPU? And Internal Graphics is set to Enabled (not "Auto")?
I have changed the hdmi cable and works fine…

So, for anyone who is attempting to upgrade their Beta of Monterey and can't......here is a solution:......http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...27ykzxmviuycydg88h86fjv7/InstallAssistant.pkg

Just download the Install Assistant and use it to put Monterey in your Applications directory and then run the upgrade from there. (NOTE: you might need an https at the start, depends on your network. I didn't, others did).

I had a Z370 that upgraded with no effort whatsoever (and I literally I did nothing to get it to download and install Beta 6), and then there was my Z490, which just wouldn't upgrade no matter what I did. And I did everything I could, J160 J137, SIP on, SIP off, you name I did it with zero success.

So, I downloaded the Install Assistant and voila....the Install went really well......and now they're both on Beta 6.

Credit should go to Shanee of that "other" insane site.

Last edited:
Thank you, I will give that a shot and report back.
The NVMe SSD is a 1TB Sabrent Rocket
  • Some NVMe SSDs have been known to cause spurious panics. One quick test would be to disable NVMeFix.kext in the Kernel section of config.plist.
    • By the way, what is the make/model of your NVMe SSD?
  • Also uncheck XhciPortLimit.
  • Then reboot and see if it's any better.
Still getting freezes after making the changes above. I recall reading somewhere that people had issues while using iStat Menus, which I use. I'm going to disable it for the time being.

Edit: Disabling iStat Menus did not resolve the issue

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 64
  • Crash Reports after 8:31 change.pdf
    42.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Have any of you succeeded in changing the airdrop channel when working with the OpenIntelWireless 2.0.0-alpha drivers?

I've tried this method to get the LG Ultrafine 5K to run in 4K (see attachment), but unfortunately the monitor stays black:
View attachment 493614

I was able to turn it on one time, but it could only display in the Gigabyte Boot screen, in BIOS and in OpenCore Boot Menu, and only after I have done the following in BIOS:

Settings > IO Ports > Initial Display Ports = "IGFX" (was earlier "PCIe 1 Slot", where I have my Radeon VII)
+
Settings > IO Ports > Internal Graphics = Enabled (was earlier "Disabled")

When I go into the boot menu and select my OSX boot drive to start OSX, the apple loading screen starts and halfway thru the monitor shuts off again.

Strangely though is that the OSX system recognizes the speakers which are fully functional and the 1080p web camera as well as the microphone next to it. So I can use these, but the panel is completely off.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Gigabyte only write how I should plug the cables, which I have done and which apparently have been done correctly (otherwise I would never be able to see anything on the monitor?). But they don't write anywhere if I need to change anything in BIOS or do anything else to get it to work.

I have written to Gigabyte's support about this, but as people may know it takes about a week to get a reply, which doesn't make it very helpful.

I have ordered a GC-Titan Ridge AIC to get full 5K, but unfortunately I will have that card in 2 weeks from now, so finding a solution with the on-board Thunderbolt ports waiting for it would be very pleasant.
Hi, @CaseySJ! I wanna ask about Thunderbolt. I am about to make a rig for editing using:

i9 10900F
z490 vision D will be flashed the TB firmware
RX 6800 XT gigabyte

My question is, if I wanna use the Thunderbolt monitor, do I need iGPU or non F processor? Because for my understanding is just plug the DisplayPort from RX 6800 XT into DisplayPort in motherboard and you good to go, cmiiw

Thanks in advance,

Hi, @CaseySJ! I wanna ask about Thunderbolt. I am about to make a rig for editing using:

i9 10900F
z490 vision D will be flashed the TB firmware
RX 6800 XT gigabyte

My question is, if I wanna use the Thunderbolt monitor, do I need iGPU or non F processor? Because for my understanding is just plug the DisplayPort from RX 6800 XT into DisplayPort in motherboard and you good to go, cmiiw

Thanks in advance,
Hello @bishop21,

That is a good question:
  • If you have a CPU with integrated GPU then we already know that Thunderbolt monitors will work when connected to the motherboard's Thunderbolt ports.
  • If you have a type F CPU (i.e. no iGPU) then Thunderbolt monitors might still work, but I do not recall anyone reporting this particular configuration.

Back