Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ reading a few posts here and there and it is getting me confused. would you mind reminding me when to use your intel config or the amd config? I was under the impression that the intel config was to be used for motherboards with an intel iGPU. But reading above answer got me confused. I have the Z490 + a 5600XT and a 6800XT. I have been using the intel config file since 0.5.9 when I switched to OC. Have I been using the wrong one all that time? :)
The Intel-iGPU file is if you want to use the iGPU as the primary video device. It has patches to enable video output over HDMI, etc. Otherwise, if you're not using your iGPU as the primary video device, then use the other one.

It's probably a bit confusing since AMD makes both CPUs and GPUs. But for the Z490 Vision D there's no AMD CPU that could be used! The AMD file is if you're using an AMD GPU... we used to be able use an nVIDIA GPU, too, but that's another story for another day.

@CaseySJ Can you clarify, for an Alpine Ridge card going into this board, how to set up the jumper wire?
Thanks!
The procedure should be identical to that of GC-Titan Ridge, as follows:
  • When holding the card vertically as shown, with PCI pins facing the floor, we connect the Top and Middle pins of the vertical 5-pin J1 Header.
Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 6.13.32 AM.png

Are you using Fenvi or Intel WiFi?
I am using Fenvi successfully. In fact I have 5 of these cards (FV-T919), all working properly (in a short slot):
  • Z490 Vision D
  • Z390 Designare Main System
  • Z390 Designare Test Bench
  • X99 Deluxe II (Asus)
  • X570 Taichi (ASRock)
And on the B550 Vision D, I have a Fenvi BCM94360NG M.2 card that is also working properly.

So you can see I have full faith in the Fenvi, but very little faith in the OpenIntelWireless drivers at this time. The Intel drivers are promising, but the developers are facing increasing issues with Apple's increasingly restrictive macOS kernel extension architecture. For example, they don't expect to resolve the Wake-from-Sleep issue for Intel WiFi.

It is straightforward to modify the Z390 EFI for OpenIntelWireless, but I don't want to publish that EFI because I don't want to support issues with those drivers...at least not yet. I have, however, published an OpenIntelWireless EFI for the Z490 Vision (located here with OC 0.6.7 support). To adapt this for Z390 Designare, we need to do the following:
  • Physically remove the Broadcom WiFi/BT card
  • Enable USB port HS14
  • Disable the NO-CNVW SSDT
  • Change SecureBootModel to Default
  • Then add the following kexts to OC/Kexts (and to config.plist):
    • AirportItlwm-Big-Sur.kext
    • AirportItlwm-Catalina.kext
    • IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext
    • IntelBluetoothInjector.kext
Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 6.25.03 AM.png

@CaseySJ reading a few posts here and there and it is getting me confused. would you mind reminding me when to use your intel config or the amd config? I was under the impression that the intel config was to be used for motherboards with an intel iGPU. But reading above answer got me confused. I have the Z490 + a 5600XT and a 6800XT. I have been using the intel config file since 0.5.9 when I switched to OC. Have I been using the wrong one all that time? :)
I know this can be confusing, so here's the definitive answer:
  • If you have an AMD GPU, then all of your monitors should be connected to the AMD GPU (or multiple AMD GPUs).
    • Use config-AMD-GPU.plist
    • This will put the iGPU in headless mode, so it won't activate the on-board video ports, but iGPU will still be used for compute tasks. This mode is much more reliable than non-headless mode.
  • If you do not have an AMD GPU, then your only choice is to connect a monitor to one of the on-board video ports. Hence:
    • Use config-Intel-iGPU.plist
    • This will enable video output from the on-board video ports at the expense of reliability
    • Video glitches, improperly displayed pages in Safari, iMovie and FCPX crash on launch, and other issues have been reported
    • This should be a short-term solution while waiting for an AMD GPU to arrive

The procedure should be identical to that of GC-Titan Ridge, as follows:
  • When holding the card vertically as shown, with PCI pins facing the floor, we connect the Top and Middle pins of the vertical 5-pin J1 Header.

@CaseySJ Thank you!

Hello!
Thank you for this amazing guide. I have a successful build with a 10900K and this motherboard (only needed a little help from a friend :)). I can confirm your reports above about graphics weirdness using the iGFX but its useable. Also I could not get the DisplayPort to work... wondering if the onboard graphics would be smoother with this port if it worked. Any thoughts as to why the HDMI port is available and not the DisplayPort?

I was able to get rid of some random short term graphics/ mouse freezing by turning the scaling down one notch, and not running at full res.

If I get a dedicated GPU card - I'm looking at the XFX Radeon rx560 - I see they have 2 fan and 1 fan models...interested if anyone has experience with either of these and this build. Is the two fan model louder?

Thanks much-

I'm looking at the XFX Radeon rx560
Don't buy one, the vBIOS is incompatible. That's why so many are available for sale. Hackintosh owners generally avoid these. I wouldn't pay over 200 USD for one either, even if I could make it work via a BIOS flash. Not worth it.

Don't buy one, the vBIOS is incompatible. That's why so many are available for sale. Hackintosh owners generally avoid these. I wouldn't pay over 200 USD for one either, even if I could make it work via a BIOS flash. Not worth it.
Thanks for the info!! Yes, prices are so inflated right now. Its a drag. I'm glad I asked!
Is there another card you'd recommend in that price range? I don't do heavy graphics work, mostly audio.
Thank you.

Hello!
Thank you for this amazing guide. I have a successful build with a 10900K and this motherboard (only needed a little help from a friend :)). I can confirm your reports above about graphics weirdness using the iGFX but its useable. Also I could not get the DisplayPort to work... wondering if the onboard graphics would be smoother with this port if it worked. Any thoughts as to why the HDMI port is available and not the DisplayPort?

Glad to hear it!

Regarding DisplayPort, that output has been very reliable for us. Are you using a cable such as this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075V27G2R/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Thanks for the info!! Yes, prices are so inflated right now. Its a drag. I'm glad I asked!
Is there another card you'd recommend in that price range? I don't do heavy graphics work, mostly audio.
Thank you.
Any RX 560, 580, 590 is okay, but we tend to avoid XFX models. AMD RX 5500, 5600, 5700 are also good.

Back