Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

** Possible problem with Big Sur 11.3 Public Beta 4 **

11.3 Beta 4 released to the public a day or two ago has been very problematic on my Z490 Vision D:
  • Unable to perform in-place update through System Preferences --> Software Update.
  • Consequently, downloaded full installer using GibMacOS, but installation process hanged repeatedly during early stage of phase 1 install.
  • Ran the full installer on Apple MacBook Pro 13" to perform a clean install on an external SATA SSD. Installation on MacBook Pro was successful.
  • After transferring SATA SSD to Z490 Vision D, "welcome" wizard came up and I specified country, account name, etc., but system crashed before the wizard could complete.
  • Rebooting the system brought me to the Login screen and I could log in, but system always crashed after a few minutes.
After this I decided to do a clean install of 11.3 Beta 3, and it's been running perfectly.
No problem on Z390 Designare
Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 01.03.46.png

No problem on Z390 Designare
View attachment 512442
Good to know! Because I erased my internal SSD and reinstalled macOS from scratch, I will re-test the update procedure soon. Perhaps the previous system was corrupted in some way.

** Possible problem with Big Sur 11.3 Public Beta 4 **

11.3 Beta 4 released to the public a day or two ago has been very problematic on my Z490 Vision D:
  • Unable to perform in-place update through System Preferences --> Software Update.
  • Consequently, downloaded full installer using GibMacOS, but installation process hanged repeatedly during early stage of phase 1 install.
  • Ran the full installer on Apple MacBook Pro 13" to perform a clean install on an external SATA SSD. Installation on MacBook Pro was successful.
  • After transferring SATA SSD to Z490 Vision D, "welcome" wizard came up and I specified country, account name, etc., but system crashed before the wizard could complete.
  • Rebooting the system brought me to the Login screen and I could log in, but system repeatedly crashed after a few minutes.
Finally, decided to do a clean install of 11.3 Beta 3, and it's been running perfectly. If you plan to install Beta 4, please make a full bootable backup first. Might be an even better idea to erase the backup disk before starting the backup. This allows Carbon Copy Cloner to use APFS Replicator, which is the only way macOS system can be backed up (along with all user folders).

thanks.....I think I'll skip this one.....at least for a while.....

Good to know! Because I erased my internal SSD and reinstalled macOS from scratch, I will re-test the update procedure soon. Perhaps the previous system was corrupted in some way.

11.3 Beta 4 update is fine for me. As smooth as usual.

The update finally succeeded, but latest Patch 4 of HackinDROM does not launch.

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 6.49.36 PM.png

UPDATE 1: 11.3 Beta 4 is not stable on my system despite the clean reinstall. Locks up after a few minutes. Beta 3 runs fine.

UPDATE 2: System crashes may have been with NVMeFix.kext (v1.0.5). Continuing to monitor the system with NVMeFix to see if subsequent crashes (if any) still point to this kext.

UPDATE 3: 11.3 Beta 4 has been running FINE now for past 3 hours and 40 minutes:
Bash:
% uptime
9:46  up  3:39, 2 users, load averages: 1.02 1.19 1.13

UPDATE 4: Beta 4 is unstable because of changes made to
IONVMeFamily.kext. I cannot recommend Beta 4 although the problem may be related to the makes/models of NVMe SSDs in the system. Not everyone will experience problems, but if you have Silicon Power and Sabrent Rocket NVMe SSDs, your system may crash.

Last edited:
Hot plugging is supported even without Thunderbolt header. No need to change motherboard. We will need a F/F jumper wire to force power to the Thunderbolt add-in-card (which is one of the functions of the Thunderbolt header that this board does not have).

@CaseySJ Can you clarify, for an Alpine Ridge card going into this board, how to set up the jumper wire?
Thanks!

11.3 beta 4 works here, too, except on the 6800XT.

Also, BIOS F20d is seemingly working okay, too. I'm not seeing that unacceptably bad behavior that was the F20a BIOS. The system stays asleep just fine, without immediately waking up...unlike the prior F20 beta BIOSs. I'm prepping for the hot Rocket.

Also, I replaced the M.2 thermal pads that came with the Z490 Vision D with some thicc boyz that are more thermally conductive. Temps on my two 970 EVO Pluses dropped by roughly 8-9 degrees C. Still warm, but not as toasty.

Because GPUs are so difficult to acquire these days, your question is a good one to address once again:
  • Yes we can install macOS using config-Intel-iGPU.plist
  • Once an AMD discrete GPU is installed, we just need to transfer our PlatformInfo credentials into config-AMD-GPU.plist and reboot
  • This can be done through HackinDROM by using the CopyConfig feature. Simply upload your existing config.plist and select the appropriate AMD-GPU entry from the pop-up menu. Your PlatformInfo will be transferred into the new file, and the new config.plist will be downloaded to your Downloads folder
@CaseySJ reading a few posts here and there, and it is getting me confused. Would you mind reminding me when to use your Intel config or the AMD config? I was under the impression that the Intel config was to be used for motherboards with an Intel iGPU. But reading above answer got me confused. I have the Z490 + a 5600 XT and a 6800 XT. I have been using the Intel config file since 0.5.9 when I switched to OC. Have I been using the wrong one all that time? :)

UPDATE: 11.3 Beta 4 is not stable on my system despite the clean reinstall. Locks up after a few minutes. Beta 3 runs fine.
Are you using Fenvi or Intel WiFi?

Back