Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Anyone using intel BT with Magic Trackpad 2 can confirm all working in macos?
My Magic Trackpad 2 works great and wake from sleep using Fenvi BT/WiFi.

Very thorough indeed!

Apologies for posting a Thunderbolt question here despite my different board, but this is by far the best / most thorough / easiest to understand setting out of the Thunderbolt issue I have seen.

So... I have an Asus Z490A Prime with 10900K and an Asus ThunderboltEX 3-TR card. Absolutely everything working.... except the Thunderbolt card. At least, it is not clear whether the card is working or not. It works fully under Windows (both eGPU and USB ports) with the condition that it needs to be permission after logging in to Windows (presumably the required resources would be too large for the Windows default). In Big Sur I see it in the ioRegistryExplorer as attached. But, when connecting it to my Razer CORE X Chroma containing a 5700XT, Big Sur does not appear to see either the graphics card or any of the USB sockets on the CORE X. This doesn't appear to be different whether I have connected prior to boot, during boot, or post boot.

I have tried both with and without adding ACPi / KEXT / DRIVER but without impact.
Hello @CeruleanCloud,

Some quick comments:
  • In your Asus BIOS, please see if there's an option for Thunderbolt Security. If so, set it to No Security or Legacy. Then it won't be necessary for Windows to ask permission.
  • On macOS, eGPUs will generally NOT work unless we flash the firmware.
  • Flashing the firmware can introduce issues of its own. Each person must either learn to live with those issues or switch back to the original firmware. Some of the issues are:
    • Thunderbolt may not work fully on first boot. It may require doing one reboot from Apple Menu --> Reboot.
    • One of the two Thunderbolt ports may not connect reliably. The other port should always connect reliably.
    • Wake from Sleep might or might not wake up the Thunderbolt devices.

Questions:

- is it also required to flash a chip in relation to my ThnderboltEX 3-TR card?
Flashing the firmware is not required for most devices. But eGPU, however, requires flashed firmware.

- if so, is it a chip on the motherboard or the card which one would flash?
It is a chip on the Asus ThunderboltEX3-TR card itself.

- is there a guide comparable to the one here which anyone is aware of?
Modified firmware for the Asus ThunderboltEX3-TR is available.

- if I go. that route, would it prevent the card from working in Windows?
Hard to say, but in general some things will not work as well.

- is there a "proper" guide somewhere which describes the correct ACPI / KEXT / DRIVER configurations? (this is likely a far easier task than wasting your valuable time looking at the results of my hackery if I begin again using a guide you guys recommend, and then provide the necessary downloads and results from there!)
A general guide for setting up Thunderbolt DROM and SSDT is located here.

I would truly appreciate your guidance!
A more complete compendium of guides is located in Section 8 of the Quick Reference spoiler in the Designare Z390 thread (click here, then open the Quick Reference spoiler near the top of that post).

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 7.01.35 AM.png

Absolutely, The M1 price is very attractive considering the performance and low power consumption.
On the other hand, one reason the price is low is that M1 is a better version of A12Z which has been used on iPad Pro for a while. Not sure if they can maintain that if they announce 12/16/32/64 core machines.
One thing Apple likes to do is overcharge on memory and SSD. And Apple purposely made them soldered onboard. That could bother some people.
Yes, I, 100 percent, agree that memory and storage should be modular... macOS clearly works with 3rd party RAM and storage. So it is technically feasible for us to add our own memory/storage. Even if they lock down the RAM due it being soldered onto the SOC, they should allow us at the least to install standard M.2 SSDs. But if they did that then they wouldn't be able to overcharge for additional storage.

Last edited:
guys on the MB vision G and i see also on D has additional 4-pin ATX power connector
and i want to buy corsair rm650x which do not have that to connect:

(Note:The Gigabyte Z490 VISION G ATX LGA1200 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not.)

Schermafbeelding 2021-03-11 om 13.00.48.png

any advice about that i looked on internet but couldn't find anything clear about it.

Last edited:
guys on the MB vision G and i see also on D has additional 4-pin ATX power connector

(Note:The Gigabyte Z490 VISION G ATX LGA1200 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not.)

any advice about that i looked on internet but couldn't find anything clear about it.
Yes it seems strange to me to have that when GPUs often have 1 or even 2x 6pin ATX power connectors on the boards.

I have both an AMD R9 290X, and an Nvidia 980Ti (currently only active on windows), both power hungry cards with multiple power connectors. I haven't connected the extra GPU power on the board as I don't have any spare, but I've not had any issues.

I'm assuming that extra connector on the GPU can supply more power to GPUs through the PCI interface if the cards don't have dedicated power connectors. But that's a guess.

EDIT: oops wrong connector.

View attachment 511962

According to the Cosair web site, it does have required power connector.

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 12.39.07.png

Reactions: jd6
According to the Cosair web site, it does have required power connector.

View attachment 511963

yes it has but only one 4+4 =8 but the MB has an additional 4-pin see pic attachment

what you see at the psu pic. here is 1. 6+2 for gpu card and and nr 2.is 4+4 for cpu

in the box of the psu there is only one cpu cable for cpu 4+4

yes it has but only one 4+4 =8 but the MB has an additional 4-pin see pic attachment

what you see at the psu pic. here is 1. 6+2 for gpu card and and nr 2.is 4+4 for cpu

The way I understand it is, you use your 4+4 or ATX_12v_2x4 connector to power your CPU, if you plan on overclocking your cpu & depending on your model of cpu your overclocking you may need to use the additional 4 pin or ATX_12v_2x2 connector for the extra power requirements.

So depending on the above you should either be fine or get yourself a better PSU

You only need that extra 4 pin connector if you are extremely overclocking your CPU. In 'normal' use you don't need it, just the 4+4 I pointed out.

As @andyxm715 says, if you are doing that you need a more powerful PSU. You can get a splitter to power that extra connector but if you need to then your PSU isn't really powerful enough in the first place and you'll most likely get random reboots when you stress the system with lots of power requirements.

Reactions: jd6
You only need that extra 4 pin connector if you are extremely overclocking your CPU. In 'normal' use you don't need it, just the 4+4 I pointed out.

As @andyxm715 says, if you are doing that you need a more powerful PSU. You can get a splitter to power that extra connector but if you need to then your PSU isn't really powerful enough in the first place and you'll most likely get random reboots when you stress the system with lots of power requirements.
Thanks, Ii understand I'm not going to overclock. The build will be just a multimedia hackintosh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back