Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
Intel Core i7 10700K
Graphics
Shappire Radeon RX 580 4Gb NITRO+
Kernel --> Patch --> F1/F2 Brightness Keys --> Disabled
Hi, why did you remove those 2 patches? Will this break brightness control from keyboard?

Thanks

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, why did you remove those 2 patches? Will this break brightness control from keyboard?

Thanks
Gut reaction answer: Has it broken brightness control for you? If so, just enable the checkboxes. Simple as that.

More considered answer: Those kernel patches are outdated in Big Sur and possibly Catalina. They were being ignored anyway.

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Anandtech has managed to purchase an 11700k Rocket Lake ahead of the March 30 launch, and claims it hasn’t broken NDA in publishing its review.

Conclusion: Rocket Lake, on average, offers a performance upgrade above Skylake/Comet lake in some instances, but under certain workloads (avx512) the chip draws significant amounts of power and almost melts down with the temperatures. Ryzen 5800x is still the dominant x86 8-core processor. In some instances, especially in gaming, the 11700k performs worse than the 10700k.

Also, the article states there seems to be latency issues with the L3 cache (worse than Comet Lake), and I have heard rumors that Intel is going to release a microcode update to address this.

All in all, unless something changes between now and launch day, I don’t get the point of Rocket Lake at all, given that Alder Lake is coming soon. Hopefully Intel can iron out whatever seething issues that still exist.

I've been following this saga on YouTube, where it appears Intel does not mind that the embargo on Rocket Lake reviews was violated. AnandTech obtained the processor via retail sales channel, which means it's in the public domain, and therefore arguably fair game.

I continue to take a wait-and-see attitude in 2021. Things that will really tempt me in 2021 or by early 2022:

From Apple:
  • Small form factor Mac Pro. According to Jon Prosser, it may resemble a somewhat wider and much taller Mac mini.
  • 14-inch redesigned MacBook Pro with more ports and mini LED screen.
  • New 27" or 30+" Apple branded consumer-level monitor.
From the general computing market:
  • Next generation AMD AM5 socket and 4th-gen Zen processors
  • Thunderbolt 4 Maple Ridge add-in-cards
  • Intel Alder Lake processors (no more 14nm++++++++++)
Note:
  • I don't play video games except Chess, Scrabble, and Solitaire.
    • Scrabble and Solitaire are played mostly to pass the time on long flights.
  • Hence, I don't care about high end video cards, but may purchase an AMD RX 6700 series GPU when or if Apple provides the drivers.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi,
No luck for me this time updating to OC-067 (was using intel-wireless, or the no wifi version).:cry:
when i boot from USB key or from the drive, i have a black screen with nothing...
- reset NVRAM
- used hackinDrom to transfert config.plist
- tried to use IntelMausi.kext instead of IntelMausiWOL.kext that i was using
- removed SSDT-RX580.aml that i was using
- for info i'm using RX580 with 2 monitors DP and DVI
No idea what could happened.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,
No luck for me this time updating to OC-067 (was using intel-wireless, or the no wifi version).:cry:
when i boot from USB key or from the drive, i have a black screen with nothing...
- reset NVRAM
- used hackinDrom to transfert config.plist
- tried to use IntelMausi.kext instead of IntelMausiWOL.kext that i was using
- removed SSDT-RX580.aml that i was using
- for info i'm using RX580 with 2 monitors DP and DVI
No idea what could happened.
Hello @zedoc,

The problem may be due to OpenHfsPlus.efi, which I failed to remove from the 0.6.7 EFI ZIP (Intel Wireless ZIP only). This has now been replaced with the standard HfsPlus.efi. Please do the following:
  • Delete both of the ZIP files from your post above. They are using 100MB, which is too much storage space online.
  • Download the newly updated OpenCore 0.6.7 EFI zip from the Intel Wireless post:

Last edited:

jd6

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z490 Vision G
CPU
i5-11600k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Conclusion: Rocket Lake, on average, offers a performance upgrade above Skylake/Comet Lake in some instances. But, under certain workloads (avx512), the chip draws significant amounts of power and almost melts down with the temperatures. Ryzen 5800x is still the dominant x86 8-core processor. In some instances, especially in gaming, the 11700k performs worse than the 10700K.

Also, the article states there seems to be latency issues with the L3 cache (worse than Comet Lake), and I have heard rumors that Intel is going to release a microcode update to address this.

All in all, unless something changes between now and launch day, I don’t get the point of Rocket Lake at all, given that Alder Lake is coming soon. Hopefully, Intel can iron out whatever seething issues that still exist.

I was also waiting to get the 11th gen. But, man o man, I hear stories on youtube and other sites reviews. Intel has become a disaster now a days. You can wait for Alder lake but who can say that that one is not going to be also disappointed.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Did you reset NVRAM? (Space bar at openCore boot). Remember that after this reset the default boot disk may have changed! In this case do not forget to select it and at OC boot and then in system preferences -> boot disk
After reinstalling 0.6.7 and resetting NVRAM, HackIntool normally recognizes the change to 0.6.7.
I did another NVRAM reset and I see 0.6.7 now. I would have thought me removing a GPU and clearing CMOS would have done it, but maybe I did those in a different order than I thought.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello @zedoc,

The problem may be due to OpenHfsPlus.efi, which I failed to remove from the 0.6.7 EFI ZIP (Intel Wireless ZIP only). This has now been replaced with the standard HfsPlus.efi. Please do the following:
  • Delete both of the ZIP files from your post above. They are using 100MB, which is too much storage space online.
  • Download the newly updated OpenCore 0.6.7 EFI zip from the Intel Wireless post:
Thanks again @CaseySJ
Looks like it was a problem with OpenHfsPlus.efi.
replacing it with HfsPlus.efi solve the problem :headbang:

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590 Vision D
CPU
i7-11700K OC @ 5.2GHz
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was also waiting to get the 11th gen. But, man o man, I hear stories on youtube and other sites reviews. Intel has become a disaster now a days. You can wait for Alder lake but who can say that that one is not going to be also disappointed.
A shame. I was excited for Rocket Lake not necessarily because I wanted to purchase it, but because I wanted to see Intel come back so x86 has good competition and we consumers win.

However, given the early Anandtech data, it just further reinforces that what AMD has done with Zen3 is remarkable. Pricing is a bit high but performance great.

Although one thing I will caveat is, it could be that the early rocket lake bios have issues... I know the Gigabyte Vision D f20 series (which added rocket lake support) has major problems. So let’s see what happens when Intel and its partners iron out the bugs.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS Z490-A
CPU
i9 10900k
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  • Does the kernel panic occur if you do not use your audio application(s)?
  • If you just use the computer for web browsing, email, word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, etc. then does the system crash?
Hi, the kernel panics always happen just after the comp boot, when it reach the desktop and try to connect the UAD then it have a hard reboot. I will try different settings in the BIOS but if this problem persist I will load your firmware, How must be loaded? in windows? Thanks for your support