Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ Why, thank you so very much kind Sir.

I will attempt in a few hours and report.

Tony.
Is this your first experience with flashing Thunderbolt firmware? If so, which flasher did you use? Arcelli? Raspberry Pi?

Is this your first experience with flashing Thunderbolt firmware? If so, which flasher did you use? Arcelli? Raspberry Pi?
Yes it is my first.
I used a Raspberry Pi 4b kit from Microcenter.

As usual, your documentation rendered a painless experience.

Tony.

Yes it is my first.
I used a Raspberry Pi 4b kit from Microcenter.

As usual, your documentation rendered a painless experience.

Tony.
Glad to hear it...and welcome to the Society of Mad Scientists! This is a dubious distinction we bestow upon all those who succeed in this brave (or brash?) effort. :)

Last edited:
I've run memtest86 for half a day (4 passes without any error), so memory seems fine. At the moment I'm running a 3DMark11 in a loop under Windows 10 which seems stable for now (no issues after about 1h) - note that under Windows I use the Nvidia 1070.
I also tested whether the sceensaver under BigSur plays any role: The hackintosh was able to start the screensaver without any freeze, so there also seems to be no (direct) connection. I disabled the screensaver and ran some stress test with the Intel Power Gadget and maybe after 20 minutes the computer froze. :(

Next thing I'll try to throw out the Nvidia card and see if this changes anything (if not, then only the WiFi card and the NVMe remain as potential cause of the error).

If you have any more suggestions what I should try, please fire away :)
Ok, some updates. I've thrown out the Nvidia and had a run with only the iGPU. This seems to do the trick - no freezes, I was able to run the whole day the stress test with Intel Power Gadget or Heaven & Valley Benchmark. I also updated to 11.2.1 which ran without a hassle. I also noticed that there were no more graphic glitches that occurred before when the Nvidia graphic card was installed (and disabled via boot flag). So my best guess would be that the boot parameter is not working correctly or that there is at least some interference...
Should I use the DeviceProperties or the SSDT method for disabling the Nvidia card?

I've also noticed that there seems to be some issue with sleep and the HDMI output: when the hackintosh goes to sleep and wakes up I have to unplug the HDMI connector and then plug it in again to get a picture. The rest seems to run fine. I also had this problem when MacOS set the monitor to standby after some time, the monitor came only back on when I unplugged and then reconnected the monitor. Maybe there is also a hint for fixing that...

Does anyone know if the Razer Core X eGPU enclosure works without having to flash the Thunderbolt chip? I'm not bothered about hotplug as it would always be plugged in. If it does work, I'm considering putting my RX580 in there for macOS and leaving my RX6800 in the case for Windows gaming

Glad to hear it...and welcome to the Society of Mad Scientists! This is a dubious distinction we endow upon all those who succeed in this brave (or brash?) effort. :)
I am so extremely honored.

:cool:

Ok, some updates. I've thrown out the Nvidia and had a run with only the iGPU. This seems to do the trick - no freezes, I was able to run the whole day the stress test with Intel Power Gadget or Heaven & Valley Benchmark. I also updated to 11.2.1 which ran without a hassle. I also noticed that there were no more graphic glitches that occurred before when the Nvidia graphic card was installed (and disabled via boot flag). So my best guess would be that the boot parameter is not working correctly or that there is at least some interference...
Should I use the DeviceProperties or the SSDT method for disabling the Nvidia card?
Glad to hear it! The SSDT method is recommended. It is a tried-and-true solution.

I've also noticed that there seems to be some issue with sleep and the HDMI output: when the hackintosh goes to sleep and wakes up I have to unplug the HDMI connector and then plug it in again to get a picture. The rest seems to run fine. I also had this problem when MacOS set the monitor to standby after some time, the monitor came only back on when I unplugged and then reconnected the monitor. Maybe there is also a hint for fixing that...
This can be a tricky matter for which there is no hard-and-fast remedy. It's best to use current generation monitors, which is to say monitors that (a) don't have DVI or VGA inputs, but instead have (b) HDMI and (c) DisplayPort inputs. I would also encourage you to experiment with different resolution settings just to see whether they have any impact.

Does anyone know if the Razer Core X eGPU enclosure works without having to flash the Thunderbolt chip? I'm not bothered about hotplug as it would always be plugged in. If it does work, I'm considering putting my RX580 in there for macOS and leaving my RX6800 in the case for Windows gaming
Reports from Z390 Designare users indicate that:
  • Razer Core eGPU can be used without flashing the firmware if:
    • BIOS --> CSM Support is Enabled (but try Disabled first)
    • Thunderbolt SSDT is disabled, which in turn disables hot plug

Reports from Z390 Designare users indicate that:
  • Razer Core eGPU can be used withoutflashing the firmware if:
    • BIOS --> CSM Support is Enabled (but try Disabled first)
    • Thunderbolt SSDT is disabled, which in turn disables hot plug
Great! Thanks for your timely response. Just scored one on eBay with 10 secs left on the clock! :lol:

Hi all I have a new z490 Build unfortunately with an h100i liquid chiller. It looks like it uses port xx03 . Is there a simple way to disable this port so that I can enable sleep? I did a little research and it seems like the h100i interferes with sleep which I can confirm. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 4.30.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 4.30.19 PM.png
    406.3 KB · Views: 25
Back