Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Anyone experiencing slow upload speeds with Fenvi T919 ? I have tried disabling BT, connection to 2.4/5Ghz networks but no luck. Airdrop works but it's also very slow compared to my iphone-ipad. System info shows my connection to router is 802.11ac. Is there anything that I can try ? Thanks.

I'm on Catalina 10.15.6
Opencore: 0.6.3

WiFi : 401 1 Mbps
Wired: 929 325 Mbps
Ipad : 340 216 Mbps
That upload speed is abnormally low:
  • Is the upload speed consistently low or occasionally low?
  • Have you tried repositioning the Fenvi's antennas?
  • Have you considered using an outboard high-gain antenna?

Are you still experiencing stability issues with Logic Pro?
Hey Casey thanks for the message.

So, I took my ring ratio down on the Vision G from 47 to 45 and the hard freezing has stopped. So, I'm fairly sure this was the culprit for the crashes (which is what you would expect from a crash of that nature). If anyone knows how you can hit higher ring ratios on these boards I'm all ears.

I do still have minor issues with Logic 10.6.1 with regards to erratic behavior that I haven't seen before on Catalina.

Please do bear in mind I would consider myself a 'power user' of LPX and work on it every day for AT LEAST 4 hours (and have done for the past 6 years). 15 years if you count previous versions of Logic ;)

What I'm saying is I am probably far more sensitive to these annoying issues than most will be.

There are some weird things happening with the mouse using the default Logic plugins, the timecode stops and becomes erratic if you perform too many functions at once and other minor annoying behaviour. None of this has stopped me being able to work successfully on an album project using the setup as it is and with each release of Opencore it does seem to get better (or at least it did in Catalina).

I'm no expert at the end of the day I just know Logic really really well.

On an unrelated note did anyone see that Macrumours had an article dated yesterday discussing the next mac pros slated for release and they are saying they may well still be Intel chips?!

HI! This was amazing, my first hack took ages to get working, this was so painless it's unbelievable! Thank you so much!
Glad to hear it!
Everything I have tried so far is working except I'm having a problem with the Ethernet being recognized:

when I plug into the 2.5G port -> Ethernet 2 : (Red) Not Connected
when I plug into the 1G port -> Ethernet 1 : (Yellow) Self-Assigned IP

I've looked at a couple of other posts about this issue in other boards but I'm not sure i'm applying the solution correctly, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Self-assigned IP can be due to several factors. The most obvious one is this:
  • Click on the Ethernet port and check whether the port is being configured via DHCP. Feel free to post a screenshot.
  • Then click on the other Ethernet port and do the same.
Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 10.44.20 AM.png

We can also check whether the red port (2.5GbE) is activated by looking at your IOReg file. Simply download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then post the saved file.

@CaseySJ Your guides are perfect man!! Thanks
I am missing a lot something like this for the ITX system
Hello @Josu,

I am seriously considering whether or not to build a mini-ITX system. If I decide to do this, my preference would be for the Gigabyte Z590I motherboard and Rocket Lake CPU. This board has two Thunderbolt 3 ports. However, I have not yet decided!

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 10.49.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 10.49.49 AM.png

Last edited:
Hi there I followed the instructions exactly and everything seems to be working.
I am using the EFI OC-065-VISION-D from the thread

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
i9 10850k
AMD Radeon RX590

Thank you very much, this was the fastest and easiest installation I have done so far.
Glad to hear it! Another inductee into the Society of Problem Free Builders!

@CaseySJ thanks so much for the speedy response, didn't think to look in your Z390 thread.

I've ordered the 6 port card from your link, coming tomorrow, so fingers crossed

Cheers
@CaseySJ so i got the 6 port card from your link but not working unfortunately.

Firstly have i got the correct card/chipset?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07THFN3Q2/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Half the time it freezes at the gigabyte BIOS splash screen. When it gets past that, catalina gets to the login screen and I can enter my PW, but then it beachballs and never gets to desktop.

Any ideas before I return it?

Tried both the free PCIE slots with same results.

Cheers

Hey Casey thanks for the message.

So, I took my ring ratio down on the Vision G from 47 to 45 and the hard freezing has stopped. So, I'm fairly sure this was the culprit for the crashes (which is what you would expect from a crash of that nature). If anyone knows how you can hit higher ring ratios on these boards I'm all ears.

I do still have minor issues with Logic 10.6.1 with regards to erratic behavior that I haven't seen before on Catalina.

Please do bear in mind I would consider myself a 'power user' of LPX and work on it every day for AT LEAST 4 hours (and have done for the past 6 years). 15 years if you count previous versions of Logic ;)

What I'm saying is I am probably far more sensitive to these annoying issues than most will be.

There are some weird things happening with the mouse using the default Logic plugins, the timecode stops and becomes erratic if you perform too many functions at once and other minor annoying behaviour. None of this has stopped me being able to work successfully on an album project using the setup as it is and with each release of Opencore it does seem to get better (or at least it did in Catalina).

I'm no expert at the end of the day I just know Logic really really well.
Do you know if these issues are also plaguing real Macs?

On an unrelated note did anyone see that Macrumours had an article dated yesterday discussing the next mac pros slated for release and they are saying they may well still be Intel chips?!

Yes I posted this in the Z390 Designare thread yesterday. Quite a lot of exciting rumors were posted yesterday.
  • The standard size Mac Pro may see another Intel-based revision.
  • We hope this also brings driver support for AMD Big Navi (Radeon 6000 series).
  • The smaller size Mac Pro is somewhat opaque at the moment. Even the Clairvoyant is unable to foresee the details, but I hope it will feature at least one or two PCIe expansion slots.
    • I am not in favor of a cube-like design just for the sake of design.
    • I hope Apple has learned some lessons from the Mac Pro 6,1 (i.e. the so-called "trash can" Mac) that had no internal slots.

@CaseySJ so i got the 6 port card from your link but not working unfortunately.

Firstly have i got the correct card/chipset?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07THFN3Q2/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Half the time it freezes at the gigabyte BIOS splash screen. When it gets past that, catalina gets to the login screen and I can enter my PW, but then it beachballs and never gets to desktop.

Any ideas before I return it?

Tried both the free PCIE slots with same results.

Cheers
Sorry to hear that... That is indeed the right card, and MacOS compatibility is mentioned in the product description. But Apple does have a habit of discarding drivers for older-generation devices. Even Apple's own Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit-Ethernet adapter is no longer supported.

Please try one more thing: Perform a CMOS Reset by following instructions in the Gigabyte owner's manual. Then configure BIOS parameters again and see if that makes any difference.

Yesterday, @mephitismephitis pointed out that this 4-port card using a Marvell chipset still works:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZ9T3OU/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
I tried to update BIOS to F20a, and all seemed to go well. But the option to pick Initial Graphics (Pic express or Internal) was not present. It would not boot unless I selected Load optimized settings. I thought file may be corrupt, so I installed F8 BIOS and same thing. I can boot with Load optimized settings. But, if I change anything, I have boot failure. Here is the screen shot showing that the option to choose initial graphics display is missing. Any ideas how to fix it?

Attachments

• tempImagemKYWW0.png
    tempImagemKYWW0.png
    11.9 MB · Views: 48
Sorry to hear that... That is indeed the right card, and MacOS compatibility is mentioned in the product description. But Apple does have a habit of discarding drivers for older-generation devices. Even Apple's own Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit-Ethernet adapter is no longer supported.

Please try one more thing: Perform a CMOS Reset by following instructions in the Gigabyte owner's manual. Then configure BIOS parameters again and see if that makes any difference.

Yesterday, @mephitismephitis pointed out that this 4-port card using a Marvell chipset still works:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZ9T3OU/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Thanks for getting back so quickly. CMOS reset made no difference, unfortunately. So I'll try the link you sent and return the other one. Third time lucky I hope!!

Cheers

Back