Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Anyone got sidecar working on Vision G board and willing to share EFI? On mine It shows connecting but then only black screen on iPad. Big Sur 1.1 Bios F7 Sapphire RX 580 video Card 19,1 SMBIOS

Last edited:
Anyone got sidecar working on Vision G board and willing to share EFI? On mine It shows connecting but then only black screen on iPad. Big Sur 1.1 Bios F7 Sapphire RX 580 video Card 19,1 SMBIOS
Hey man check Casey's config.plist on post #4,500 as thats the most recent working Vision G config as far as I'm aware!

Anyone experiencing slow upload speeds with Fenvi T919 ? I have tried disabling BT, connection to 2.4/5Ghz networks but no luck. Airdrop works but it's also very slow compared to my iphone-ipad. System info shows my connection to router is 802.11ac. Is there anything that I can try ? Thanks.

I'm on Catalina 10.15.6
Opencore: 0.6.3

WiFi : 401 1 Mbps
Wired: 929 325 Mbps
Ipad : 340 216 Mbps

Attachments

• wl.jpg
    wl.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Another interesting thing will be TB4: Apple doesn't have a TB4 device yet, so our great SSDT/firmware solution can face some uncertainties for sure.
Apple has a driver for Goshen Ridge Thunderbolt 4 peripheral controller used in the OWC Thunderbolt hub (at least for Big Sur).
IOThunderboltSwitchType1 - Thunderbolt 1
IOThunderboltSwitchType2 - Thunderbolt 2
IOThunderboltSwitchType3 - Thunderbolt 3
IOThunderboltSwitchType4 - Ice Lake
IOThunderboltSwitchType5 - M1
IOThunderboltSwitchLC - ?
IOThunderboltSwitchOS - Thunderbolt 4 Goshen Ridge (has a USB4 mode according to strings in IOThunderboltFamily)

I'm not sure about the Maple Ridge Thunderbolt host controller.

Also TB4 double the required bandwidth on PCIe side so seems like a hardware requirement that AR/TR don't have.
TB4 doubles bandwidth requirement compared only to PCs that connected their Thunderbolt 3 controller using PCIe 3.0 x2. Most PCs already use a PCIe 3.0 x4 connection.

PCIe 4.0 works fine on my Ryzontosh.
PCIe 4.0 works in my MacPro3,1 (Mac Pro 2008) using a PCIe 4.0 switch in a PCIe 2.0 slot. Only weird thing is that System Information.app in Catalina does not show a link speed (which should be 16 GT/s). Haven't tried Big Sur yet.

What is interesting is that Apple has 3 versions of the Thunderbolt driver now:
  • Type3 for Alpine Ridge and Titan Ridge
  • Type4 for Ice Lake Thunderbolt
  • Type5 for Apple Silicon M1 Thunderbolt
Type3 is also used by Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2. They'll report as Type1 and Type2 in ioreg. These are all the discrete Thunderbolt controllers that have a product IDs like 0x15##

Type4 Ice Lake has PCI product ids like 0x8a##. It is integrated.

Type5 is an ARM device, not PCI. It matches by device name instead of PCI product IDs.

Tiger Lake isn't supported (product IDs 0x9a##). Maybe it could work with the Type4 driver since it is also integrated.

Maple Ridge isn't supported (product IDs 0x11##). Maybe it could work with the Type3 driver since it is also discrete. Or maybe the addition of USB4 stuff makes it different.

Several questions come immediately to mind:
  • What is so different about Ice Lake Thunderbolt that a new driver class was created?
Totally different layout (as you can see in ioreg) because Ice Lake is integrated instead of discrete. Search Thunderbolt EFI code for "itbt" and "dtbt"

• Does Type5 support Intel's Maple Ridge?
  • Is Apple's own M1 Thunderbolt based on Intel's Maple Ridge?
  • If so, then is Type5 a "universal" binary or is it ARM-only?
Type5 is an integrated ARM device, not a discrete PCI device.

Maybe Apple could have used the non PCI parts of Intel's chip? More likely Apple made their own by following the USB4 spec and everything they know about Thunderbolt 3.

Each Thunderbolt port on a M1 Mac is completely separate from the other. I think they may use the same set of PCI bus numbers because they are completely separate. So each Thunderbolt port could have 255 buses. That's more than any Mac where the Thunderbolt ports have to share the bus range with each other and all the other PCI devices of an Intel Mac. The only other PCI device in an M1 Mac is the ethernet and that's on a 3rd separate PCI segment.

Yes I "believe" the new OWC TB4 dock will be compatible with the TB3 ports on this system. Without actually testing and confirming, I cannot say that it "will" be compatible, but I "believe" it will.
OWC TB4 dock also works with Thunderbolt 2 Macs. I haven't seen anyone with a Hackintosh try it yet.

Yes, the OWC TB4 dock page states that TB3/4 work together on its dock. Bye, bye FireWire, though. (I still use my FW external disk dives and audio recording peripherals.)
OWC hasn't included FireWire in its recent Thunderbolt 3 docks either. I have their old Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 2 docks that have a FireWire port.

HI! This was amazing, my first hack took ages to get working, this was so painless it's unbelievable! Thank you so much!

Everything I have tried so far is working except I'm having a problem with the Ethernet being recognized:

when I plug into the 2.5G port -> Ethernet 2 : (Red) Not Connected
when I plug into the 1G port -> Ethernet 1 : (Yellow) Self-Assigned IP

I've looked at a couple of other posts about this issue in other boards but I'm not sure i'm applying the solution correctly, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 10.02.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 10.02.23 AM.png
    128.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 10.03.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 10.03.51 AM.png
    285.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 10.04.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 10.04.30 AM.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 45

Works fine on my Vision G, only difference is i'm using BIOS F20a

Hi there I followed the instructions exactly and everything seems to be working.
I am using the EFI OC-065-VISION-D from the thread

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
i9 10850k
AMD Radeon RX590

Thank you very much, this was the fastest and easiest installation I have done so far.

@CaseySJ Yes the system was configured as above. It looks like regrdless of GPRW being enabled or disabled, it always behaves as if it was enabled. Note that I introduced GPRW in 0.5.9 contrary to what I said in the previous post and since then I have always kept it enabled since I assumed the pb was always there (it was confirmed when I did a quick test in one 0.6.x version). So I am not sure if the fact that it never worked was due to the WD magnetic HD which was there from the beginning (which I have removed now), or if there is something else.
What is the current status? Are you able to wake the system via Bluetooth or USB devices?

Hey man check Casey's config.plist on post #4,500 as thats the most recent working Vision G config as far as I'm aware!
Are you still experiencing stability issues with Logic Pro?

Back