Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

so the vision-d uses the Titan Ridge (JHL7540) for the thunderbolt 3 controller, thunderbolt 4 will use Maple Ridge (JHL8540).
Correct.

I have the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro, which works in all scenarios:
  • Connected before boot
  • Hot plugged
  • After reboot while still connected
  • After wake from sleep
Although my Thunderbolt firmware has been flashed, that should not matter with a Thunderbolt 3 dock. Do you have any other Thunderbolt 3 devices to try?
FWIW, prior to upgrading to 10850K + Vision D, this same dock worked flawlessly in your bullets 1, 3, and 4.
"In the old days of TB"... the rule of thumb was to make sure your TB devices was powered on, and then connect it at the Clover menu/screen. I would always set a 10-second count-down to give me time to get it connected.

I would say recently (since I did the "Power Up" to my 360/VR rig), I simply left the dock connected & powered on all the time...and it always worked. Then again, that was Z370 AORUS Gaming + Alpine Ridge AIC. My BIOS settings for that config were simply: Thunderbolt > Enabled + Security Level = No Security.

But to answer your question, I have 3 other TB3 devices that I can/will try:
  1. A Samsung X5 @500GB SSD
  2. A Wavlink Thunderbolt PCIe NVMe M.@ SSD enclosure (with Samsung 970 PRO m.2 SSD - 500GB)
  3. An Apple TB3 > TB2 adapter that I will try with my OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock.

...and now for something completely different & weird: I was just poking around in the BIOS to see if there was something I missed that could be causing this issue, and I randomly noticed:
  • I now have "Open Core" as one of my Boot options, in addition to line items for my Samsung Evo 960. Is this normal? Whenever I try to set to the Samsung UEFI partition, the next time I check, OC has claimed the #1 spot.
  • CSM has a "star" icon to the left, and always reverts back to Enabled (even though I've disabled it several times). :banghead:
I wonder if I should try either a) reverting to F5 (I'm on F6), or b) try F7c...??

Last edited:
@BoomR

Quick note regarding “OpenCore” taking the top spot in BIOS boot menu. That is the right behavior. It’s due to “Bootstrap” being enabled, which is designed to prevent other operating systems from hijacking the top spot.

Hi, all! I have just made Apple TV work on Big Sur 11.1.
My machine is Z490 Vision D with i7 -10700 and GPU AMD RX 5700 XT.
My machine is set to iMac 20,2.
I have OpenCore 064.
I updated from Catalina, and my Apple TV didn't work. So I did some research,
and I did this.

I opened the command line, and I paste line by line, and pushed enter
these are the commands:

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCEncode -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCDecode -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDHEVCDecode -bool YES

After that Apple TV works.

I hope I help, but, before you do it, let some experienced users to answer my post. I don’t want to mess up your machine.

can anyone confirm if hardware accelerated video playback works on successive videos in QuickTime, VLC, etc?

Also does anyone know how to revert the process?

Good morning all and of course @CaseySJ !
I need to build up a set up for a friend with the following requirements:
Main software:
- Photoshop: my working files are 8000x8000 pixels and usually weigh several GB.
- After Effect: I only produce 1080p.
- Reason and Logic: several VSTs and a refill and loops database of just over 1 TB.
- 3D with Poser and Daz3D Studio: usually renderings of 8000x8000 pixels and a database of around 4 TB.
- Plotagon Studio and synthetic voice from Acapella (in 32 bits)

Peripheral devices :
- 4 monitors in 1080P
- 1 10-port USB3 hub switched on almost all the time and managing: 1 scanner, 1 webcam, 1 colorimetric probe, 1 external sound card, 1 APN (import photos), 2 MIDI master keyboards, 1 Novation Launchpad and 1 Wacom tablet
- 1 10-port USB3 hub switched on only when I do my external backups, and connected to 8 external 4TB hard drives
- 1 USB3 dock for 2 hard drives (just in case)
- 1 Samsung SSD card (OS) and 6 internal hard drives of 4 TB (business and personal files and databases)
- 1 PCI card for 2 Firewire 800 ports and 1 Firewire 400 port
- 1 DVD player / burner in USB3

Do you think that it's going to work smoothly on this Z490 and RX 5700 XT or do you think I may face problems (4 monitors or something else)?
Thanks in advance for your valuable input and Merry Christmas to all of you :)

FWIW, prior to upgrading to 10850K + Vision D, this same dock worked flawlessly in your bullets 1, 3, and 4.
"In the old days of TB"... the rule of thumb was to make sure your TB devices was powered on, and then connect it at the Clover menu/screen. I would always set a 10-second count-down to give me time to get it connected.

I would say recently (since I did the "Power Up" to my 360/VR rig), I simply left the dock connected & powered on all the time...and it always worked. Then again, that was Z370 AORUS Gaming + Alpine Ridge AIC. My BIOS settings for that config were simply: Thunderbolt > Enabled + Security Level = No Security.

But to answer your question, I have 3 other TB3 devices that I can/will try:
  1. A Samsung X5 @500GB SSD
  2. A Wavlink Thunderbolt PCIe NVMe M.@ SSD enclosure (with Samsung 970 PRO m.2 SSD - 500GB)
  3. An Apple TB3 > TB2 adapter that I will try with my OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock.

...and now for something completely different & weird: I was just poking around in the BIOS to see if there was something I missed that could be causing this issue, and I randomly noticed:
  • I now have "Open Core" as one of my Boot options, in addition to line items for my Samsung Evo 960. Is this normal? Whenever I try to set to the Samsung UEFI partition, the next time I check, OC has claimed the #1 spot.
  • CSM has a "star" icon to the left, and always reverts back to Enabled (even though I've disabled it several times). :banghead:
I wonder if I should try either a) reverting to F5 (I'm on F6), or b) try F7c...??

FWIW, on my Z390 my "main BIOS setup pick" is at the top of the Saved Profiles in my BIOS. The UEFI Boot preference is limited to my main SSD. The BIOS setup menu is password locked so that if I boot into the NTFS Windows 10 SSD, the BIOS can't be changed by Windows. Even though OpenCore is the bootloader for Mojave and Windows 10, I've learned not to take chances with the BIOS settings after I get it tuned right.

Gents, I’m considering getting a Razer CoreX egpu enclosure.

Are egpus compatible in macOS with the stock vision d thunderbolt firmware, or do we need to flash the thunderbolt controller first?

if anyone has any insights or can point me to material to read up on, I’d greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Gents, I’m considering getting a Razer CoreX egpu enclosure.

Are egpus compatible in macOS with the stock vision d thunderbolt firmware, or do we need to flash the thunderbolt controller first?

if anyone has any insights or can point me to material to read up on, I’d greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
eGPUs are barely compatible without flashing the firmware, but quite reasonably compatible after flashing.
  • Without flashing:
    • May need to enable CSM Support in BIOS
    • May need to remove PCI-Thunderbolt device property from UPSB (or just disable the Thunderbolt SSDT)
      • This will eliminate Thunderbolt hot plug
    • eGPU safe eject icon in menu bar will either (a) not appear or (b) not work
  • With flashing:
    • CSM Support can remain disabled
    • Thunderbolt hot plug can continue to work
    • eGPU safe eject icon will appear in menu bar and it will work
    • With my PowerColor Gaming Station X eGPU with AMD RX580, sleep/wake also works

Good morning all and of course @CaseySJ !
I need to build up a set up for a friend with the following requirements:
Main software:
- Photoshop: my working files are 8000x8000 pixels and usually weigh several GB.
- After Effect: I only produce 1080p.
- Reason and Logic: several VSTs and a refill and loops database of just over 1 TB.
- 3D with Poser and Daz3D Studio: usually renderings of 8000x8000 pixels and a database of around 4 TB.
- Plotagon Studio and synthetic voice from Acapella (in 32 bits)

Peripheral devices :
- 4 monitors in 1080P
- 1 10-port USB3 hub switched on almost all the time and managing: 1 scanner, 1 webcam, 1 colorimetric probe, 1 external sound card, 1 APN (import photos), 2 MIDI master keyboards, 1 Novation Launchpad and 1 Wacom tablet
- 1 10-port USB3 hub switched on only when I do my external backups, and connected to 8 external 4TB hard drives
- 1 USB3 dock for 2 hard drives (just in case)
- 1 Samsung SSD card (OS) and 6 internal hard drives of 4 TB (business and personal files and databases)
- 1 PCI card for 2 Firewire 800 ports and 1 Firewire 400 port
- 1 DVD player / burner in USB3

Do you think that it's going to work smoothly on this Z490 and RX 5700 XT or do you think I may face problems (4 monitors or something else)?
Thanks in advance for your valuable input and Merry Christmas to all of you :)
My only concern here is the sheer number of USB devices. As long as you're using good quality self-powered USB hubs and distributing the load among multiple hubs, you should be okay.

If you'll be using several USB 2.0 devices, please read this:

eGPUs are barely compatible without flashing the firmware, but quite reasonably compatible after flashing.
  • Without flashing:
    • May need to enable CSM Support in BIOS
    • May need to remove PCI-Thunderbolt device property from UPSB(or just disable the Thunderbolt SSDT)
      • This will eliminate Thunderbolt hot plug
    • eGPU safe eject icon in menu bar will either (a) not appear or (b) not work
  • With flashing:
    • CSM Support can remain disabled
    • Thunderbolt hot plug can continue to work
    • eGPU safe eject icon will appear in menu bar and it will work
    • With my PowerColor Gaming Station X eGPU with AMD RX580, sleep/wake also works
Thanks Casey!

Back