Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Congratulations!

Those are very respectable benchmarks. In terms of price-to-performance there's simply no contest between this system and the overpriced Mac Pro.
@CaseySJ - Based on that feedback, do you think it would be worth the additional investment to upgrade my current RAM to the max speed supported by this board (4400?)? Current memory is G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series DDR 3200. Looks like there is a comparable G.SKILL option at DDR4 4400.

Current uses are ProTools 2020, Logic Studio X, FCPX... Guessing this looks to be a ~25% increase in speed or performance...??

I couldn't find his YouTube segment. Please provide the link as I have an Asus ProArt Z490 Creator. TIA.
Warnings:
- non technical (no EFI, config.plist file, etc)
- heavy w/ humor, might be offensive to techies, lol
- no solution offered; he later gv up on the board, just like CaseSJ
nevertheless, it's the more colorful take on our favorite topic

Specific point on Creator:

With the 11900K around the corner, the Gigbayte Vision-D should be compatible. I read that Thunderbolt 4 will be in the spec for the chip along with PCIe4, obviously. Althougth not fully stated, I assume the Vision-D will be PCIe4 capable. Will Thunderbolt be upgraded to Thunderbolt 4 as well? ie. is it worth the upgrade to the 11900K?

With the 11900K around the corner, the Gigbayte Vision-D should be compatible. I read that Thunderbolt 4 will be in the spec for the chip along with PCIe4, obviously. Althougth not fully stated, I assume the Vision-D will be PCIe4 capable. Will Thunderbolt be upgraded to Thunderbolt 4 as well? ie. is it worth the upgrade to the 11900K?
By the sounds of this article (from the folks at macsales.com), the differences will not be terribly apparent for macOS users... it's apparently bringing some of the extended functionality that Mac has known to the PC platform.

no solution offered; he later gv up on the board, just like CaseSJ
Youtubers like this seek out these kinds of problems that they portray as dramatic failures, mostly to get views and subs. It's just hackintosh entertainment and nothing more.

I couldn't find his YouTube segment. Please provide the link as I have an Asus ProArt Z490 Creator. TIA.
The Asus ProArt Z490 Creator is okay.

All the hatred :) is directed to the ASRock X570 Creator.

Thunderbolt4 is implemented on a new controller chip from intel, the maple ridge series (jhl8540) whereas the gigabyte vision d has the Titan ridge thunderbolt3 controller chip (jhl7540).

Thunderbolt4 may see broader implementation beyond intel systems, possibly on AMD motherboards too, as intel has opened up the spec, with the main requirement being for the host processor to support some type of DMA protection.

Also, when usb4 comes, depending on how it’s implemented, it will basically run at thunderbolt3 speeds. Intel has donated its thunderbolt3 spec to the USB implementers forum, and has even donated patches to the Linux kernel so that it supports usb4.

Thunderbolt4: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16333/intel-maple-ridge-thunderbolt-4-controller-now-shipping

usb4: https://www.usb.org/usb4

will be interesting to see if apple updates the MacOS x86 kernel to support the upcoming thunderbolt4 and usb4 chipsets, as well as add Rocket Lake and big Navi (Radeon rx 6000 series) support.

Last edited:
Hello CaseySJ,
I have installed a 10G network card SFN5122F on Big Sur, which cause sleep/wake issue.
After sleep, it can not wake again.
Can you give me a help? Thank you very much.
@mm2margaret,

I think you're the resident expert on 10GbE cards for Hackintosh. :) Any advice regarding sleep/wake?

Warnings:
- non technical (no EFI, config.plist file, etc)
- heavy w/ humor, might be offensive to techies, lol
- no solution offered; he later gv up on the board, just like CaseSJ

Specific point on Creator:

I've watched a hackintosh build video from Snazzy Labs before. I'm pretty certain his build had a lot of things not working. I wouldn't recommend following his builds.

@CaseySJ - Based on that feedback, do you think it would be worth the additional investment to upgrade my current RAM to the max speed supported by this board (4400?)? Current memory is G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series DDR 3200. Looks like there is a comparable G.SKILL option at DDR4 4400.

Current uses are ProTools 2020, Logic Studio X, FCPX... Guessing this looks to be a ~25% increase in speed or performance...??
On AMD Ryzen systems we know that memory speed makes a significant difference. It seems 3600MHz is the sweet spot for Ryzen 3000 series. On Intel motherboards memory speeds will not make much of a difference in the applications you listed. Those 4400 MHz options are for hard core gamers.

Back