Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Thank you @CaseySJ for the amazing guide! It was relatively painless getting up and running and my Thunderbolt audio interface works great with it. (I believe I had to change the BIOS settings for thunderbolt to "Boot Once.) Every once in a while it fails to boot. I haven't put it in verbose mode to see what the issue was and if it fails the first time it'll usually work the second time. Once it is up and running it is super smooth and o issues with sleep so this boot issue isn't my main concern right now.

I am having one issue recently though and was wondering if anyone had any ideas what it could be. On my main NVMe drive when I delete files and empty the trash it doesn't actually delete them but just fills up the "other" category in the storage pane. The files are gone but I don't get any free space back. I noticed this recently when I cloned my boot drive from an Intel 660p to a WD SN750. The system information says that trim is enabled. Any ideas to get this fixed? I don't recall having this issue on my Intel SSD which was my main drive on my previous hackintosh and was used as my main drive on this one up until about a week or so ago when I bought the WD SN750

my specs:
System definition: iMac20,2
Z490 Vision D
Gigabyte 5700XT
2x 16GB Dominator Platinum RGB 3466MHz
1TB Intel 660p NVMe SSD - top slot, used for audio files
1TB WD SN750 NVMe SSD - second slot, boot drive/system files
3TB Seagate HDD - mass storage
500GB Samsung 850 EVO - Windows 10

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 10.52.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 10.52.06 PM.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 40
Hi all,
I have just built a Hackintosh following this guide. Thanks @CaseySJ for your amazing work!

My hardware's specs:
- Intel i5-10600
- Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz
- Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
- MSI RX 580 8GB
- Western Digital Black SN750
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus
- Western Digital Blue 2TB for file storage (Ex-fat to exchange files between MacOs and Windows)
- AOC 27" 144hz full HD through DP
- Fenvi FV-T919
- Corsair TX650M Power supply

During the build I have encountered an issue.
I installed the Samsung 970 EVO Plus in the M.2 slot closest to the CPU. This drive was meant to be used for Windows 10.
The WD SN750 was installed in the second M.2 slot, and it was meant to be used for MacOS. I bought this as its controller should be better for MacOs.
However, during the build I experienced this issue: the system booted regularly with the Samsung drive installed.
Once I installed the second WD drive the system did not boot showing a problem with VGA through one of the four diagnostic LEDs at the bottom right of the motherboard.
The problem was not solved by updating the BIOS to F5. (It was originally the F2.)
I managed to solve the problem by swapping the two NVMe SSDs. I installed the WD SN750 in the first M.2 slot and the Samsung 970 EVO Plus in the second one and everything seems to work fine.
Now I have a problem: I installed Windows in the WD disk, closest to the CPU, as suggested.
Can I install macOS on the Samsung drive? My only hope is that updating the firmware as suggested here:
can solve the problem.
Or would it be better to return the disk and buy a different one?
Otherwise my only alternative would be to partition the WD SN750 and split it between the two OS'es.
What do you think?

Also, which system definition is better to use while installing?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Thank you @CaseySJ for the amazing guide! It was relatively painless getting up and running and my Thunderbolt audio interface works great with it. (I believe I had to change the BIOS settings for thunderbolt to "Boot Once.) Every once in a while it fails to boot. I haven't put it in verbose mode to see what the issue was and if it fails the first time it'll usually work the second time. Once it is up and running it is super smooth and o issues with sleep so this boot issue isn't my main concern right now.

I am having one issue recently though and was wondering if anyone had any ideas what it could be. On my main NVMe drive when I delete files and empty the trash it doesn't actually delete them but just fills up the "other" category in the storage pane. The files are gone but I don't get any free space back. I noticed this recently when I cloned my boot drive from an Intel 660p to a WD SN750. The system information says that trim is enabled. Any ideas to get this fixed? I don't recall having this issue on my Intel SSD which was my main drive on my previous hackintosh and was used as my main drive on this one up until about a week or so ago when I bought the WD SN750

my specs:
System definition: iMac20,2
Z490 Vision D
Gigabyte 5700XT
2x 16GB Dominator Platinum RGB 3466MHz
1TB Intel 660p NVMe SSD - top slot, used for audio files
1TB WD SN750 NVMe SSD - second slot, boot drive/system files
3TB Seagate HDD - mass storage
500GB Samsung 850 EVO - Windows 10

This can happen on a real Mac as well, it has happened on my MBP.

The easiest way to fix this is to use Disk Utility and just create another APFS volume on the drive and then delete the volume you just created. Afterwards you should have all your free space back.

Now I have a problem: I installed Windows in the WD disk, closest to the CPU, as suggested.
Can I install macOS on the Samsung drive? My only hope is that updating the firmware as suggested here:
can solve the problem.
Or would it be better to return the disk and buy a different one?
Otherwise my only alternative would be to partition the WD SN750 and split it between the two OS'es.
What do you think?
Hello @gijii,

If the Samsung EVO Plus has a relatively recent manufacturing date, then it should have the latest firmware. Because you've installed Windows, you can download Samsung's "Magician" software and check if the EVO Plus has the latest firmware. Then you're okay to install macOS.

Also, which system definition is better to use while installing?

Thanks everyone.
The build guide uses iMac19,1 but you may also try iMac20,2. The safest choice is iMac19,1.

You are so absolutely correct..@CaseySJ. I did not realize I had typed SIR and not SUR until Diskutil erasure was complete.

Full disclousure, the first time the option to boot the SSD "SUR" appeared, the progress bar proceeded to 100% and stuck there. On the subsequent reboot (at which point I had the positively brilliant idea to reset NVRAM), the bar halted at around 60 to 65%.

I have booted with the main NVMe and toggled MISC->Security--> default & disable in "SUR's" EFI without success.

-v boot yielded "waiting for remote debugger connection" when stalled.

Attached is a mobile phone photo.

I also realized, I do not know how to achieve a screen capture whilst booting.

I must emphasize, The SSD "SIR" boots and performs flawlessly prior to upgrade attempts.
It renamed itself "Update".

Attached Desktop Screenshot.

Still Stumped...

thank you,

Tony.
If you're still facing this problem, try removing all unnecessary hardware:
  • Remove NVidia GPU if installed
  • Remove Windows NVMe SSDs and disconnect Windows SATA SSDs if installed
  • Disconnect all Thunderbolt devices
  • Disconnect or remove all Ethernet cards if installed (keep the WiFi/BT card installed)

If you're still facing this problem, try removing all unnecessary hardware:
  • Remove NVidia GPU if installed
  • Remove Windows NVMe SSDs and disconnect Windows SATA SSDs if installed
  • Disconnect all Thunderbolt devices
  • Disconnect or remove all Ethernet cards if installed (keep the WiFi/BT card installed)
Will do @CaseySJ.

I shall disconnect all internal drives save the main system NVMe.
Disconnected all UA TB devices.
NO Nvidia Gpu or windows drives utilized.

Stand-by.....

Tony.

Hello @gijii,

If the Samsung EVO Plus has a relatively recent manufacturing date, then it should have the latest firmware. Because you've installed Windows, you can download Samsung's "Magician" software and check if the EVO Plus has the latest firmware. Then you're okay to install macOS.

The build guide uses iMac19,1 but you may also try iMac20,2. The safest choice is iMac19,1.
Hi @CaseySJ and really thanks for your reply,
after re-reading the whole guide I found a thread about the Samsung 970 EVO Plus and the latest firmware update that should solve the issue.
Now I feel OK installing macOS on this Hackintosh. I will proceed tomorrow.

Will do @CaseySJ.

I shall disconnect all internal drives save the main system NVMe.
Disconnected all UA TB devices.
NO Nvidia Gpu or windows drives utilized.

Stand-by.....

Tony.
This is a bit of a long shot, but also try enabling BlacklistAppleUpdate in Misc --> Security.

Hi @CaseySJ

I have the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D and I am trying to use an Antelope Orion32 Gen 3 audio interface and it of course does not work. Tried truning on the interface before boot, then turbing on the the PC as well.

My question is:
Does Thunderbolt show up in System Report or only under PCI?
Is there a way to get Local node to work without a firmware update?

Thank you!

Has anyone had experiences DISABLING Speedstep, C-states, etc on this mobo?

Since Pro Tools is terrible at CPU management, a lot of people suggested experimenting with disabling EIST, Speedstep, C-state things so that it's always at a nice, steady clockspeed. Just so it doesn't cause overloads, dropouts, etc at low buffer settings.

I tried disabling anything I could find related to that in my BIOS, but Intel Power Gadget is still showing some throttling while idle.

Could OpenCore settings be telling the CPU "naw, go ahead and scale back"? Something with cfg lock?

I've manually set my Baseclock to 100 with a multiplier of 50 (for a 5.0ghz Overclock!) and disabled Turboboost as well, so it's not just "Turboing" up when under load. Cinebench sees all cores at 5.0ghz.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 7.47.29 PM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 7.47.29 PM copy.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Back