Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi everyone:
After a long time... I return to the hackintosh side.
I just bought the same components like the OP except i5 10600k and MSI 5700 XT Gaming X.
I use Windows and macOS (maybe using 2 SSD NVMe or 1 NVMe and SSD SATA).
I'm waiting for a Sabrent NVMe, and I doubt about where put the NVMe: @CaseySJ recommend to put the NVMe in the slot near the CPU. And the other NVMe for macOS, where?
Thanks!
Hello @santitf,

If you plan to install Windows on an NVMe SSD, then the Windows SSD should be in the M.2 slot closest to CPU. If you don't plan to install Windows, then you can safely install the macOS NVMe SSD into any M.2 slot.

The M.2 slot closest to CPU will also support PCIe 4.0 with next year's Comet Lake-S processors.

@hughythomas,

Please check the current setting of SecureBootModel in OpenCore Configurator --> Misc --> Security. If it is currently Disabled, try Default. If it is currently Default, try Disabled.

Same problem set to Default (it was on Disabled before).

This is doing my head in now - my date/time is correct and I've tried everything Google search has suggested?

KEEPS saying its damaged no matter how many times I re-download it or what methodology I use to try and install it.

:(

Just a short note to mention that both Catalina and Big Sur are running just fine on a newly compiled OC 6.5. Same config, both releases (well, I should note that I am on 11.2 beta of Big Sur (20D5029f), just to be completely accurate).

And, I found another OC plist editor app that I like a lot: https://github.com/ic005k/QtOpenCoreConfig/releases

Curious what you and some others think. Works great for me (at least so far).
Always good to have choices!
Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 11.12.01 AM.png

@CaseySJ and
Good Day everyone,

We are running extremely stable Mac OS 10.15.7 Z490 Vision D builds, on OC 0.6.3, for the past several months.

With available time for Big Sir experimentation, I used a CCC backed-up version of the system NVMe onto an Internally installed SSD named “SIR”. I also verified that “SIR” is bootable and fully functional.

I proceeded to upgrade to OS 11.1 via the System Preferences software update.

I believed I followed the mini guide meticulously.

1. As stated with-in the guide, (if you see "Macintosh HD" as a boot option in OpenCore Picker, make sure that it is selected)…….. The boot option was named “Install MacOS” not “Macintosh HD”. However the installation proceeded smoothly.

2. After rebooting a few times, “Install MacOS” was replaced with the name “SIR”.
At that point I reset NVRAM and I chose “SIR” in OpenCore Picker for booting.

3. The Apple logo appeared followed by the progress bar which halted at approximately 65% and that is where it has stuck.

I should point out, rebooting with the original main system NVMe, the SSD previously named “SIR”, has been re-named “Update”.

I am stumped.

HELP????????

Tony.

Same problem set to Default (it was on Disabled before).

This is doing my head in now - my date/time is correct and I've tried everything Google search has suggested?

KEEPS saying its damaged no matter how many times I re-download it or what methodology I use to try and install it.

:(
I hope this is not the same problem I experienced on my Z390 Designare Test Bench (but not on my primary Z390 Designare). I have not been able to install macOS updates on the Test Bench for several weeks, but I have found a workaround -- but it's not a particularly nice workaround. It goes as follows:
  • Clone the internal NVMe SSD to a SATA SSD mounted inside a USB 3 external enclosure (exactly like a backup disk).
  • Connect this external disk to a real Mac or other Hackintosh and boot from it. Hold Option key on Mac during boot, but on Hackintosh do not press F12 during boot. On Hackintosh, boot to the OpenCore Picker using the internal SSD of the Hackintosh. But at the Picker, choose the external SSD.
  • Ignore all iCloud warnings. Do not try to fix iCloud warnings.
  • Perform the macOS upgrade through System Preferences --> Software Update.
  • Each time the system boots, make sure that the external SSD is selected in the OpenCore Picker (on real Mac this is not necessary).
  • When the upgrade is completed, connect the external SSD to the original Hackintosh and boot the Hackintosh (let it boot to OpenCore Picker from the internal SSD). At the OpenCore Picker, select the external SSD.
  • Make sure the external SSD boots up correctly.
  • If you are totally certain and confident that the external SSD is working correctly, you can clone it to the internal NVMe SSD.

Hello @santitf,

If you plan to install Windows on an NVMe SSD, then the Windows SSD should be in the M.2 slot closest to CPU. If you don't plan to install Windows, then you can safely install the macOS NVMe SSD into any M.2 slot.

The M.2 slot closest to CPU will also support PCIe 4.0 with next year's Comet Lake-S processors.
Thanks @CaseySJ for your quick reply.
And with a SATA SSD for Windows and M.2 for macOS, can I install into any slot?

Hey @CaseySJ. This thread is pure gold. I'm really excited to get on with my first build but I wouldn't dare do it with all this knowledge that we have here. There is a lot to go through though, and I haven't been able to figure out if using the integrated graphics is possible with this build. IN case it is, what would the disadvantages be?

Thanks a lot

Hey,
This is now mostly working great. Thanks again to Casey & all other contributors for an amazing guide & resource.
One issue I still have is that I still can't log into the App Store.

Is it something to do with my serial number / ROM? This is what I get when I "check coverage" using OpenCore configurators

Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 20.46.13.png

One issue I still have is that I still can't log into the App Store
Your image indicates that you have entered the serial number of a genuine Mac that is already on Apple's database.
Select a different serial number.

FWIW deleted some network-related plists reset my Ethernet card from en2 to en0 which seems to have fixed it (or maybe it was just rebooting).
On the subject of serial numbers, the official Dortania guide recommends the Apple respone 'Purchase Date not Validated' - can you explain this discrepancy? I'm sure you're right just want to understand.

Back