Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

BTW, there is a small addition that I don't see very often in guides. I've had trouble with two Z390 and this Z490 board with pro USB sound cards on Catalina (and a bit less on Mojave) like Focusrite and MOTU that were just cutting the sound on and off randomly every few seconds. This was fixed instantly by disabling the Serial port in the BIOS. So maybe that can help someone ;)

Hi CaseySJ.
Is there a particular reason why you use OpenCore instead of Clover?.
Do you think your method can also work well for an Asus PRIME Z490-P?
Thanks

@CaseySJ I know this is a thread for the vision D, but i have been successfully using the Z490 Gaming X for over a week now. But i see that you have MSR unlocked and i probably should unlock it on my rig as well. May i just ask you what patch in your EFI (or where in the config.plist) requires it? I don't want to ruin my installation and it might not be exactly the same procedure to unlock it ;)

@thysm00 I have the same Mobo and CPU like you. Would you share the EFI folder? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
*** Gigabyte Z490 Vision D ***
RGB Fusion 2.0 Control

IMPORTANT NOTE:
The usage examples in this post are no longer valid. Please see this post for correct usage information

The Z490 Vision D supports RGB Fusion 2.0. There is no support for RGB Fusion in BIOS at this time. Gigabyte does, however, provide a Windows utility for controlling lighting effects, but there's no support for macOS.

Fortunately, RGB Fusion is controlled by an ITE Tech chip that is mapped to USB port HS12. After a couple days of investigation it was possible to reverse engineer the USB traffic and build an RGB Fusion 2.0 driver for liquidctl. Development of the driver is nearly complete, but for the moment it is specifically written for the Vision D.

The Vision D provides seven lighting channels as shown below:
Vision-D-Front.png
Three of the channels are for LEDs built onto the motherboard:
  • IOLED controls lighting effects next to the IO panel
  • PCILED controls lighting effects on an array of LEDs just behind the PCI slots
  • PCHLED controls lighting effects on the PCH shroud
Four of the channels are wired to four lighting headers:
  • LED1 and LED2 control standard 12V RGB devices (4 pin)
  • DLED1 and DLED2 control Addressable 5V RGB devices (3 pin)
The new driver for liquidctl allows each channel to be independently controlled. It also allows all channels to be set to the same lighting effect at the same time, via channel name sync.

All seven lighting channels support the following color modes:
  • OFF (yes, we can turn the lights off and on at will)
  • static
  • pulse
  • flash
  • double-flash
  • color-cycle
The two addressable RGB headers (DLED1 and DLED2) are capable of more advanced color modes, but those modes require the driver to send a continuous stream of control packs on the USB port. A future version might support these additional modes, but they are not supported at this time.

What does this look like? Here's a small gallery:

IMG_1444_resize.jpgIMG_1445_resize.jpgIMG_1450_resize.jpgIMG_1458_resize.jpg
IMG_1443_resize.jpgIMG_1448_resize.jpgIMG_1451_resize.jpgIMG_1457_resize.jpgIMG_1441_resize.jpgIMG_1446_resize.jpgIMG_1452_resize.jpgIMG_1455_resize.jpg
IMG_1447_resize.jpgIMG_1456_resize.jpg

The new driver is currently located in my GitHub development branch:

Will incorporate this into the Vision D build guide (post #1) once it has matured a little more.

Usage Examples:
In the examples below, please replace -d 0 with the ID corresponding to Gigabyte RGB Fusion 2.0. This can be obtained by typing liquidctl list.
  • Turn off all LEDs connected to all seven channels: liquidctl -d 0 set sync color off
  • Set all LEDs on all seven channels to "color cycle": liquidctl -d 0 set sync color color-cycle --speed fastest
  • Set the "Designare" logo to static color red: liquidctl -d 0 set PCHLED color static 0000FF
    • Where colors are specified as GGBBRR
      • GG = green value from 00 to FF
      • BB = blue value from 00 to FF
      • RR = red value from 00 to FF
Limitations:
  • Does not provide complex ARGB lighting modes (yet) on DLED1 and DLED2.
  • Does not control LEDs on DIMM modules. Hopefully we'll find a way.
Acknowledgements:
  • Special thanks to Jonas Malaco (developer of liquidctl) for technical assistance with USB protocol debug.

Last edited:
*** Gigabyte Z490 Vision D ***
RGB Fusion 2.0 Control
Good! It works on my Vision G! But I reverted driver/kraken_gen4.py file (it was deleted in your first commit) to start it

Code:
$ liquidctl list
Device ID 0: NZXT HUE 2 (experimental)
Device ID 1: NZXT Kraken M22
Device ID 2: NZXT Smart Device V2 (experimental)
Device ID 3: Gigabyte RGB Fusion 2.0 (experimental)
Device ID 4: Gigabyte RGB Fusion 2.0 (experimental)

Last edited:
Some words about controlling for DIMM RGB: liquidctl using USB device (in macOS it named ITE Device in list of Z490 Vision D/G USB devices), but DIMM controlled via SMBus (for example https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB/-/wikis/Crucial-Ballistix-RGB ).
But, may be, Gigabyte LED-controller can sent commands to SMBus and control DIMM, I don't know...

OpenRGB project support some devices (and my Crucial Ballistix too), but macOS version is in very early development stage now:

I have not tried to build it yet.

Last edited:
Some words about controlling for DIMM RGB: liquidctl using usb device (in macOS it named ITE Device in list of Z490 Vision D/G USB devices), but DIMM controlled via SMBus (for example https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB/-/wikis/Crucial-Ballistix-RGB ).
But, may be, Gigabyte LED-controller can sent commands to SMBus and control DIMM, I don't know...
That's correct -- DIMM LEDs are controlled via SMBus. Unfortunately, RGB Fusion does not use USB packets to control DIMM LEDs in the same way as other LEDs.
OpenRGB project support some devices (and my Crucial Ballistix too), but macOS version is in very early development stage now:
Very good reference! I have not heard of this project, but it looks very promising.
I have not tried to build it yet.
Ah, you answered the question I was going to ask. We should be careful because of this warning:

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 2.15.19 PM.png

Good! It works on my Vision G!
Awesome! Good to see it works on Vision G as well.
But I reverted driver/kraken_gen4.py file (it was deleted in your first commit) to start it
Thanks for pointing out this accidental deletion. File has been re-added.
Code:
$ liquidctl list
Device ID 0: NZXT HUE 2 (experimental)
Device ID 1: NZXT Kraken M22
Device ID 2: NZXT Smart Device V2 (experimental)
I'm also seeing two RGB Fusion devices. Will look into this a little more.

I'm also seeing two RGB Fusion devices. Will look into this a little more.

I think, it's one device, commands to both of them control my IOLED color. And this device connected to HS12 USB port on my MB.

Look at my verbose list:
Code:
├── Vendor ID: 0x048d
├── Product ID: 0x5702
├── Release number: 0x0001
├── Bus: hid
├── Address: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/XHC@14/XHC@14000000/HS12@14b00000/ITE Device@14b00000/IOUSBHostInterface@0/AppleUserUSBHostHIDDevice
└── Driver: RGBFusionDriver using module hid

├── Vendor ID: 0x048d
├── Product ID: 0x5702
├── Release number: 0x0001
├── Bus: hid
├── Address: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/XHC@14/XHC@14000000/HS12@14b00000/ITE Device@14b00000/IOUSBHostInterface@0/AppleUserUSBHostHIDDevice
└── Driver: RGBFusionDriver using module hid

In windows I can see two HID devices with same vendor and product ID, so, I think, it's one device, but virtually it has two devices, I have no ideas why.

And, it's very interesting, I read that ITE5702 controls Q-Flash Plus on Vision G board (BIOS flashing without CPU), read it in review of Vision G on russian hardware site ixbt.com.

iteit5702.jpg

Last edited:
Back