I am at an impasse.

My hardware:
Gigabyte Z390 M GAMING
Intel Core i7-9700K
Ballistix Sport LT 64GB
2 x Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD
Sapphire 11265-05-20G Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB
Fractal Design Define Mini C case

I am very pleased with this hardware. It runs Windows 10 exceptionally well. I had some initial problems with enabling serial ports for macOS install, but I have Mojave working with integrated graphics.

My problem is that I can not get macOS to boot with the RX 580 graphics card installed. Boot stops with:

IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

This seems to be a common problem and seems to be associated with the integrated graphics configuration.

I have tried many, many things including BIOS settings, enabling and disabling integrated graphics, Clover versions and Unibeast versions. I have tried many, many config.plist settings including SMBIOS versions and Lilu/WhateverGreen settings.

I may be missing something simple. I may be ahead of the current Hackintosh tools. I have included an image of the crash screen, the ioreg without the RX 580 card and an EFI folder with an example config.plist.

I greatly admire the patience of the moderators, authors and others. Thank you for all of your help!

Attachments

• crash_example.png
    crash_example.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 773
  • EFI.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 174
  • ioreg_without_rx580.ioreg
    1.9 MB · Views: 192
Looks like you tried using the config.plist from the EFI folder I posted a couple of days ago. The config.plist in that folder needs to be edited before it can be used because I put in dummy serial numbers ABCDEFGH...

Based on the attached screenshot, please click the rightmost red button, choose "MacMini8,1", then ensure that the Serial Number and Board Serial Number have changed.

Then copy the Board Serial Number to the RtVariables screen per image 2 and change CsrActiveConfig to 0x67.

Other fixes may be needed, but let's start with this.

Note that your integrated graphics "work", but you don't have GPU acceleration according to IOReg because your iGPU is connected to Apple's default VGA display driver instead of "AppleIntelFramebuffer".

But let's tackle one problem at a time.

Attachments

• config-plist.png
    config-plist.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 594
  • Rtvariables.png
    Rtvariables.png
    153.8 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
Hi CaseySJ,

Thank you for your quick reply. Like you, I copied dummy serial numbers for my post. All of my tests use Clover configurator generated serial numbers. I generated a new serial number and copied it to RT Variable MLB and set CsrActiveConfig to 0x67 as you suggested. With and without the RX 580, I now hang with black screen. The last line in the display is IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0.

Perhaps I should focus on getting integrated graphics functioning completely first.

Thanks again.

Okay I understand now -- always good to fake the serial numbers when posting!

<deleted> let me rethink this!

Last edited:
Because you also have a Gigabyte Z390 board (different model from mine), how close are your BIOS settings to these?

BIOS Settings:
  • Start with Load Optimized Defaults then make (or confirm) the following settings -- important settings in bold:
  • M.I.T.
    • Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) --> Profile 1
  • BIOS
    • Windows 8/10 Features --> Other OS
    • CSM Support --> Disabled
      • Secure Boot will be disabled by default, but good to check
  • Peripherals
    • Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT) --> Disabled
    • USB Configuration
      • Legacy USB Support --> Enabled
      • XHCI Hand-off --> Enabled
    • Network Stack Configuration
      • Network Stack --> Disabled
  • Chipset
    • Vt-d --> Disabled
    • Internal Graphics --> Enabled
    • Initial Display Output --> PCIe-Slot-1
    • DVMT Pre-Alloc --> 64M
    • DVMT Total Gfx Mem --> 256M
    • Audio Controller --> Enabled
    • Above 4G Decoding --> Enabled
  • Power
    • ErP --> Disabled
    • RC6 (Render Standby) --> Enabled
I posted my EFI folders for USB disk and final EFI for Mojave disk here. I faked the serial numbers. You're welcome to try these with any appropriate mods (you should remove the Thunderbolt SSDT and SSDT-DTMG.aml from the ACPI/patched folder). The Final EFI (second one in that post) should be used with RX580 plugged in and video cable connected to RX580.

Last edited:
Thank you again for your reply.

I followed your suggestions carefully with the same result.

I hang with black screen. The last line in the display is IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0.

I updated the BIOS for my motherboard. I started over with a new installer for macOS 10.14.2, Clover_v2.4k_r4798 and the most current Lilu, WhateverGreen and USBInjectAll. I also retried Unibeast 9.0.0 with the macOS 10.14.2 installer.

I used both of your EFI folders as a base, as well as the /r/Hackintosh Vanilla Desktop Guide as a base, and then made changes to the config.plist files in each for video settings, SMBIOS, etc.

With the RX 580 installed, in each case, the macOS 10.14.2 installer hangs with black screen. The last line in the display is IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0.

BTW, this is my second Hackintosh. Among other things, I am a software engineer, and I have been an Apple developer since the Macintosh SE. It seems like this should be solvable, and I have read the primary instructions for all of the tools, but I can not get this to work.

I can boot Windows 10 from Clover no problems.

Last edited:
Are you using your RX 580 to drive the display (HDMI connected to RX 580)?

Yes. 4K monitor connected to RX 580 via DisplayPort.

To better understand where the problem is:
  • Clover boots up fine with RX 580 and with UHD 630.
  • When you choose "Install Mac OS" volume from the USB disk, the Stage 1 installer is invoked. Here you can run Disk Utility to format your target disk and then actually kick off the installation. Are you getting to this point? And are you running in Verbose mode?
  • When the Stage 1 installer is done, it will automatically issue a Reboot. We press F12, boot off the USB again, and select the newly created Mac OS installer volume on the target disk. This begins the Stage 2 installer. Are you getting to this point?
Next:
  • What size and type of USB disk? (Preferably no more than 32GB.)
  • Is USB disk connected to USB 2.0 (only) port or a USB 3.0 port?

Yes, clover boots fine with RX 580 and UHD 630.
I do not get to the end of the Stage 1 installer with the RX 580 installed. No disk utility, etc.
Several 32 GB USB 3 flash drives. One 32 GB USB 2 flash drive. No difference.
No USB 2 ports on my case, so all connected to USB 3 ports.

I was able to install Mojave 10.14.1 without the RX 580 installed, but ended up not connected to the AppleIntelFramebuffer. I do not know if it is diagnostic, but these two things, combined with the IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0 message I get when the RX 580 is installed, perhaps suggest that I should work on getting the UHD 630 working with AppleIntelFramebuffer first. I can not find kexts, drivers or config.plist settings that will work for me. It seems like others have been successful with this.

If you think it might work, I can add a connector for some of the motherboard USB 2 ports.

Thanks again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back