Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Apple killed IO80211FamilyLegacy support in Sonoma. This means that even Apple made BCM94360xxx cards will no longer work.

While it's still possible to install and run Sonoma on this motherboard, "everything just works" is no longer true. Things like AirDrop will be broken. I expect more things to break as the end of Intel support in macOS draws closer.

I have decided I will not be upgrading any of my hacks beyond Ventura and I will no longer to updating the EFI folders.

It was a fun ride. Thanks for sticking around.

If Apple isn't supporting their cards, how will Sonoma be able to run on the older Macs? I hope they will be able to implement it by the time the final OS is released.

If Apple isn't supporting their cards, how will Sonoma be able to run on the older Macs? I hope they will be able to implement it by the time the final OS is released.

Macs that shipped with those cards are not supported in Sonoma.

While it's still possible to install and run Sonoma on this motherboard, "everything just works" is no longer true. Things like AirDrop will be broken. I expect more things to break as the end of Intel support in macOS draws closer.

I have decided I will not be upgrading any of my hacks beyond Ventura and I will no longer be updating the EFI folders.
Very sad. Does this mean that wifi basically won't work anymore? I can live without bluetooth, but wifi - only with great difficulty.

Apple killed IO80211FamilyLegacy support in Sonoma. This means that even Apple made BCM94360xxx cards will no longer work.

I have decided I will not be upgrading any of my hacks beyond Ventura and I will no longer be updating the EFI folders.

It was a fun ride. Thanks for sticking around.
Hi @pastrychef, I just found out of this killing! It's not possible to use another wifi card or make a patch for making IO80211FamilyLegacy to work?

Perhaps in the future we will be able to get some generic arm cpu's...

With OpenCore 0.9.3 it breaks my ventura 13.2.1 wifi and ethernet. Do you know if them works on Ventura 13.4.1?

Thanks!

Hi @pastrychef, I just found out of this killing! It's not possible to use another wifi card or make a patch for making IO80211FamilyLegacy to work?

Perhaps in the future we will be able to get some generic arm CPU's...

With OpenCore 0.9.3 it breaks my Ventura 13.2.1 wifi and Ethernet. Do you know if them works on Ventura 13.4.1?

Thanks!

I don't foresee any hacks or patches to work well.

I don't see Apple Silicon versions of macOS running well on anything other than Apple Silicon for the foreseeable future.

Wi-Fi and Ethernet should work fine on Ventura.

Sadly, while upgrading to Ventura 13.4.1 from 13.0.1 with 0.9.3 my WiFi was broken (Fenvi cart). At boot it was starting for few seconds, then it was turning off.
Disabling Vt-d in the BIOS fixed it.
Before it was working fine without disabling VT-d.
With OpenCore 0.9.3 it breaks my Ventura 13.2.1 WiFi and Ethernet. Do you know if any of them work on Ventura 13.4.1?

BCM943xxxx compatibility can now be restored on Sonoma with the use of OCLP. Please see the following thread:

I have not tried it, nor will I be trying it. I am staying on Ventura on my hacks.

BCM943xxxx compatibility can now be restored on Sonoma with the use of OCLP. Please see the following thread:

I have not tried it, nor will I be trying it. I am staying on Ventura on my hacks.

I'm going to wait and see - but it is certainly encouraging that they've found a way to get around it this early, even if all in beta etc.

The promising bit - it seems to me - is that if they can get it to work in OCLP, there should be some hope it can be made to work in regular opencore, perhaps without extraordinary contortions.

But I dont' really understand the technical side, only guessing.

I'm going to wait and see - but it is certainly encouraging that they've found a way to get around it this early, even if all in beta etc.

The promising bit - it seems to me - is that if they can get it to work in OCLP, there should be some hope it can be made to work in regular opencore, perhaps without extraordinary contortions.

But I dont' really understand the technical side, only guessing.

I'm just guessing... But I think the process involves downgrading to older versions of kexts and installing them in the system folder. The correct permissions also have to be set for these older kexts. This is why SIP has to be disabled for it to work.

Back