Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

You lost me... What command did you use?

To tell you the truth, I've bounced across 3-4 pages, so I'm not really sure. I think the only thing missing was the nointeraction part. Anyway steps are:

Erased the /Volumes/Untitled USB drive (external device)
Copying essential files
Copying the macOS RecoveryOS
Making disk bootable
Copying to disk (just finished, 100% but waiting for the prompt to come back)

Appears to be done:
Install media now available at "/Volumes/Install macOS Ventura"

My USB drive is 64Gb. When I set it up I created 2 partitions, each of about 31Gb. Looks like there is going to be 13+Gb on the USB drive at this point.

To tell you the truth, I've bounced across 3-4 pages, so I'm not really sure. I think the only thing missing was the nointeraction part. Anyway steps are:

Erased the /Volumes/Untitled USB drive (external device)
Copying essential files
Copying the macOS RecoveryOS
Making disk bootable
Copying to disk (just finished, 100% but waiting for the prompt to come back)

Appears to be done:
Install media now available at "/Volumes/Install macOS Ventura"

My USB drive is 64Gb. When I set it up I created 2 partitions, each of about 31Gb. Looks like there is going to be 13+Gb on the USB drive at this point.

I haven't created a USB installer in quite some time... I think the last one I made was for Monterey and I used a 16GB USB flash drive.

I haven't created a USB installer in quite some time... I think the last one I made was for Monterey and I used a 16GB USB flash drive.

Seems like the next thing to do is the EFI bits and pieces. Going to have to defer that for a bit as my wife wants her machine back! About the USB drive, The Ventura installer is almost 12Gb. I thought I saw somewhere on this site about using a device larger than 16Gb. due to the growing size of the installers.

OK, Install macOS Ventura file and the EFI folder are now on the USB device. The next thing is to finish the re-assembly of the computer and then boot up from the USB device.

One other thing:

I installed a Fenvi FV-T919 previously. I was never happy with it as it would connect, but would disconnect a short time later for both WiFi and BluTooth. The behavior was the same with my iPad, iPhone and mechanical keyboard that supports USB and BluTooth. Would you expect Venture to function better? Is there any other hardware on the horizon that you would suggest beyond what is mentioned on Page 1 of this thread?

OK, Install macOS Ventura file and the EFI folder are now on the USB device. The next thing is to finish the re-assembly of the computer and then boot up from the USB device.

One other thing:

I installed a Fenvi FV-T919 previously. I was never happy with it as it would connect, but would disconnect a short time later for both WiFi and BluTooth. The behavior was the same with my iPad, iPhone and mechanical keyboard that supports USB and BluTooth. Would you expect Venture to function better? Is there any other hardware on the horizon that you would suggest beyond what is mentioned on Page 1 of this thread?

No, don't expect any improvements with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth by going to Ventura.

It's possible to use Intel Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards, but I wouldn't recommend it. They are less compatible. I still like the Apple branded cards or Dell DW1560 or Lenovo 04x6020. They work the best for me. The Fenvi BCM94360NG is SUPER SLOW!!

No, don't expect any improvements with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth by going to Ventura.

It's possible to use Intel Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards, but I wouldn't recommend it. They are less compatible. I still like the Apple branded cards or Dell DW1560 or Lenovo 04x6020. They work the best for me. The Fenvi BCM94360NG is SUPER SLOW!!

The Fenvi card that I have has antennas that are attached to te card and protrude out the back of the case. The Dell DW1560 card, for example, has no antennas attached to the card. How does that work?

The Fenvi card that I have has antennas that are attached to te card and protrude out the back of the case. The Dell DW1560 card, for example, has no antennas attached to the card. How does that work?

An adaptor is needed... Something like:

415ZdzWkA2L._AC_.jpg

Apple killed IO80211FamilyLegacy support in Sonoma. This means that even Apple made BCM94360xxx cards will no longer work.

While it's still possible to install and run Sonoma on this motherboard, "everything just works" is no longer true. Things like AirDrop will be broken. I expect more things to break as the end of Intel support in macOS draws closer.

I have decided I will not be upgrading any of my hacks beyond Ventura and I will no longer be updating the EFI folders.

It was a fun ride. Thanks for sticking around.

Last edited:
Please see here for instructions on using OCAT for future EFI updates.

Back