Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

That's extremely slow for an SSD.

On 2.5" SSDs, I got ~400-520MB/s for both reads and writes.

On NVMe SSDs, it depends on model and generation... On my old 1st gen NVMe, I got ~1500MB/s reads and writes. On my WD SN750, I got ~2600-2800MB/s reads and writes.

And those higher speeds, this is with this motherboard, or this gen, or ones with the higher PCI express generation (4.0)?

At any rate, my gut instinct seems correct, that this is worth swapping out for a better/faster/larger drive is worth it. Even though I'm objectively not that demanding a user.

Last edited:
And those higher speeds, this is with this motherboard, or this gen, or ones with the higher PCI express generation (4.0)?

At any rate, my gut instinct seems correct, that this is worth swapping out for a better/faster/larger drive is worth it. Even though I'm objectively not that demanding a user.

I have never owned a motherboard board with gen 4 NVMe and have never tested gen 4 NVMe.

Gen 4 NVMe should be way faster than `2600-2800 read and writes.

I get 6200 writes and 5300 reads on my Mac Studio.

Hi,

After some time I want wanted upgrade form OC 0.8.9 to 0.9.1 to update Venture from 13.2.1 to 13.3.

After changing the EFI/ Config.plist form #1 as usual and rebooting into 13.2.1 I don't have any internet connection, neither wifi nor ethernet.

I tried to compare the config.plist and found some differences in the kernel section but I have no clue what to change to make internet connection work again.

Any idea from anybody?

Thx for help

Attachments

• compare config.png
    compare config.png
    512.9 KB · Views: 23
  • HW ethernet.png
    HW ethernet.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 24
Hi,

After some time I want wanted upgrade form OC 0.8.9 to 0.9.1 to update Venture from 13.2.1 to 13.3.

After changing the EFI/ Config.plist form #1 as usual and rebooting into 13.2.1 I don't have any internet connection, neither wifi nor ethernet.

I tried to compare the config.plist and found some differences in the kernel section but I have no clue what to change to make internet connection work again.

Any idea from anybody?

Thx for help

Hi wall121,

i experienced the same behaviour just 2 hours ago - DISabling the VT-d in BIOS fixed it for me...

Have fun!
Stefan

Hi,

Any idea from anybody?

Thx for help
For Ventura 13.3.1, I "disable the Device Properties associated with the i225-V" in the config.plist. I now have Ethernet and WiFi, too, via the Fenvi T919 card in Ventura. Wahoo!

Reference:

Hi wall121,

i experienced the same behaviour just 2 hours ago - DISabling the VT-d in BIOS fixed it for me...

Have fun!
Stefan
well, thx, that helped!!

Now I'll try to update to 13.3

Ventura 13.3.1 — problems with Asus bt400 Bluetooth dongle.

It worked fine on Monterey with no extra kext. On Ventura it works with BlueToolFixup.kext, but from time to time Bluetooth stops working, and I have to unplug and plug dongle again.

Any ideas?

Ventura 13.3.1 — problems with Asus bt400 Bluetooth dongle.

It worked fine on Monterey with no extra kext. On Ventura it works with BlueToolFixup.kext, but from time to time Bluetooth stops working, and I have to unplug and plug dongle again.

Any ideas?

Sorry. I have never tried any Bluetooth dongles.

On NVMe SSDs, it depends on model and generation... On my old 1st gen NVMe, I got ~1500MB/s reads and writes. On my WD SN750, I got ~2600-2800MB/s reads and writes.

Thanks for the assistance (once again).

Slapped in a WD SN770, and while there was some fiddliness*, it worked great. Speeds are now hovering right around the 2800 mark. Still mostly checking that things are working and dealing with the odd thing (mostly permissions) that pop up after a restore. I honestly cannot say just yet how much faster this makes things overall except in BenchMarkLand - but I've also not yet had time to optimize and put speed-thirsty files in the right places etc. Part of the reason was just to have a larger boot drive, and that's done.

*Booting from a macOS Install USB disk seemed to ONLY want to bring up the Restore Assistant, where you cannot (or at least I could not) access disk utility to format the new drive, and that stumped me for a bit. I ended up having both drives on the motherboard (hadn't wanted to because physically accessing the upper NVMe slot was a pain), booting from my main macOS drive, and installing to the new one. This made me nervous for reasons I can't articulate but it worked.

Back