Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Hello, I've had a Mojave Clover Installation but I needed to update to newer MacOs Versions and decided to start a fresh OpenCore Install.

Pastrychef, could you please clarify the steps? I'm not using any dGPU, just the iGPU Intel 630. Tried the latest OC EFI you posted but without any success. Tks

What didn't work with the latest EFI? Where did it fail?

What didn't work with the latest EFI? Where did it fail?

Put into verbose mode and debug, log is attached. I actually don't know what's the problem, after sometime thinking the screen glitches up with Apple support contact. Tks for your time.

Attachments

• opencore-2023-04-12-173740.txt
    256 KB · Views: 26
Put into verbose mode and debug, log is attached. I actually don't know what's the problem, after sometime thinking the screen glitches up with Apple support contact. Tks for your time.

Do you have CFG Lock disabled in BIOS?

Do you have CFG Lock disabled in BIOS?
Yes it is disabled, weird thing is... my BIOS version is showing only as F9. I've downloaded the latest version from Gigabyte site (release date: 2021/11/29). Should I update it? (if yes, please tell me where... 'cause I can't find those F9someletter versions anywhere).

Anyway, all the options mentioned on post #1 are available for me and configured as recommended.

Yes it is disabled, weird thing is... my BIOS version is showing only as F9. I've downloaded the latest version from Gigabyte site (release date: 2021/11/29). Should I update it? (if yes, please tell me where... 'cause I can't find those F9someletter versions anywhere).

Anyway, all the options mentioned on post #1 are available for me and configured as recommended.

I no longer have this motherboard... I think the last version of BIOS I used was version F9l.

When you boot in to OpenCore and reach the OpenCore boot picker, clear NVRAM a few times.

With the new BIOS's many of them are the "capsule BIOS." They are much more secure, but beware that you can downgrade them. I'm not sure if you can upgrade them either because I haven't seen an update since they released the capsule version.

I haven't had a situation when I wanted to downgrade the BIOS, but make sure you're aware of that limitation before you update it. Personally, I value the increased security over downgradeability.

With the new BIOS's many of them are the "capsule BIOS." They are much more secure, but beware that you can downgrade them. I'm not sure if you can upgrade them either because I haven't seen an update since they released the capsule version.

I haven't had a situation when I wanted to downgrade the BIOS, but make sure you're aware of that limitation before you update it. Personally, I value the increased security over downgradeability.

I don't even know what a capsule BIOS is. Lol

I no longer have this motherboard... I think the last version of BIOS I used was version F9l.

When you boot in to OpenCore and reach the OpenCore boot picker, clear NVRAM a few times.
I was able to successfully install after adding the below changes in the config.plist:

Booter -> Quirks -> ProtectUefiServices -> TRUE
DeviceProperties -> Add -> PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1b,0x0) -> layout-id -> 0B000000
NVRAM -> 7C4... -> boot-args -> igfxframe=0x3EA50007 (can also try 0x3E9B0000)

If anyone is using iGPU like me, that did the work. Now I will test the rest of configuration. Tks man :)

A question for others here before I upgrade my ssd: what kind of speeds are you getting on the blackmagic disk speed test?
I think mine is slow because of cheap ssd drive - writes ~100-200, reads ~1400.
Obviously if this is more or less what others get, I probably won't bother.

A question for others here before I upgrade my ssd: what kind of speeds are you getting on the blackmagic disk speed test?
I think mine is slow because of cheap ssd drive - writes ~100-200, reads ~1400.
Obviously if this is more or less what others get, I probably won't bother.

That's extremely slow for an SSD.

On 2.5" SSDs, I got ~400-520MB/s for both reads and writes.

On NVMe SSDs, it depends on model and generation... On my old 1st gen NVMe, I got ~1500MB/s reads and writes. On my WD SN750, I got ~2600-2800MB/s reads and writes.

Back