Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

@ngc7789

You can try that EFI. In addition to what tedyun suggested, you can disable all the Thunderbolt and AQC113 related SSDTs.

@pastrychef -- I'm going through the differences in CaseySJ's EFI and your EFI to try to figure out what parameters might cause one to work and not the other in 13.3. There are a bunch of differences, but I can't isolate many that would impact.

However, under Misc>Entries, you have one that specifies the path for the OC BOOTX64.EFI that CaseySJ doesn't have. Do you know what this is for? I don't think I ever touched this and I need to confirm that I've been using the correct path on my MB

Last edited:
Do you want to try uploading your EFI so we can take a look?
I was using pastrychef’s as is with only my id stuff dropped in. I haven’t tried the other one…and I probably won’t. Mac Mini arrives on Tuesday.

I was using pastrychef’s as is with only my id stuff dropped in. I haven’t tried the other one…and I probably won’t. Mac Mini arrives on Tuesday.

Congrats! They are really sweet

@pastrychef -- I'm going through the differences in CaseySJ's EFI and your EFI to try to figure out what parameters might be different. There are a bunch of differences, but I can't isolate many that would impact.

However, under Misc>Entries, you have one that specifies the path for the OC BOOTX64.EFI that CaseySJ doesn't have. Do you know what this is for? I don't think I ever touched this and I need to confirm that I've been using the correct path on my MB

That's just to point to where the file is. I has no effect on what OpenCore does. If OpenCore is loaded, that entry did its job.

That's just to point to where the file is. I has no effect on what OpenCore does. If OpenCore is loaded, that entry did its job.

I couldn't find anything that was drastically different between CaseySJ's EFI and your EFI. He has a number of custom SSDT's, some which are for enabling AppleVTD or the Aquantia Ethernet.

Anyway, on a whim, I tried my old EFI (which is based on yours) and it boots into 13.3 just fine. So it was something during the multiple reboots of the update process that it didn't like. Unfortunately, it makes it difficult to troubleshoot, unless I try installing 13.2.1 on a test drive, then try updating that with the two EFIs. But I don't really have the time. I guess it's a mystery.

Last edited:
I couldn't find anything that was drastically different between CaseySJ's EFI and your EFI. He has a number of custom SSDT's, some which are for enabling AppleVTD or the Aquantia Ethernet.

Anyway, on a whim, I tried my old EFI (which is based on yours) and it boots into 13.3 just fine. So it was something during the multiple reboots of the update process that it didn't like. Unfortunately, it makes it difficult to troubleshoot, unless I try installing 13.2.1 on a test drive, then try updating that with the two EFIs. But I don't really have the time. I guess it's a mystery.

I think it has something to do with config.plist > Booter > Quirks. Compare that part. Copy to your old EFI and try booting.

I think it has something to do with config.plist > Booter > Quirks. Compare that part. Copy to your old EFI and try booting.

My old EFI works fine now. It didn't work during the update, and I think it got stuck in a boot loop during the update process. When I used CaseySJ's EFI, it finished the update process (ie., my rig rebooted a couple of times), and I landed in 13.3.

So now I can't really diagnose the problem because both work fine after the system was updated. I just hope that during 13.4 update it doesn't happen again!

My old EFI works fine now. It didn't work during the update, and I think it got stuck in a boot loop during the update process. When I used CaseySJ's EFI, it finished the update process (ie., my rig rebooted a couple of times), and I landed in 13.3.

So now I can't really diagnose the problem because both work fine after the system was updated. I just hope that during 13.4 update it doesn't happen again!

Ah... I see...

I still suspect the Booter section... Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the problem...

I too have the boot loop problem. I have decided to try to update to 13.3 again later. I will stay with 13.2 for now.

I too have the boot loop problem. I have decided to try to update to 13.3 again later. I will stay with 13.2 for now.

Please try the following:

config.plist > Booter > Quirks > AllowReallocationBlock = disable
config.plist > Booter > Quarks > EnableWriteUnprotector = disable

Back