Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Greeting @pastychef, I am running Catalina (10.15.5) using Clover and interested in getting updated to Ventura using Open Core.

Looking for a SSD recommendation and wonder if you commend I follow the instructions you provided to @philament23 in post #5,230? I have the same motherboard and GPU as he does (Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X and AMD RX 580)?

Thanks in advance all.

Greeting @pastychef, I am running Catalina (10.15.5) using Clover and interested in getting updated to Ventura using Open Core.

Looking for a SSD recommendation and wonder if you commend I follow the instructions you provided to @philament23 in post #5,230? I have the same motherboard and GPU as he does (Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X and AMD RX 580)?

Thanks in advance all.

Since you are on Catalina, you should not need to use "-1" MinDate and MinVersion. Default should work fine for you.

As for SSD, I've been very happy with my Western Digital SN750. Personally, I'd just avoid Samsungs as most compatibility issues seem to be with their SSDs.

@pastrychef:

Have an excellent New Year!

I will be upgrading memory and storage as well as replacing my EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 SC 2Gb with an XFX AMD RX 580 8Gb card. What settings need to change for the XFX graphics card? Currently on Catalina…

@pastrychef:

Have an excellent New Year!

I will be upgrading memory and storage as well as replacing my EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 SC 2Gb with an XFX AMD RX 580 8Gb card. What settings need to change for the XFX graphics card? Currently on Catalina…

Make sure the XFX RX 580 is compatible with macOS. Some of the older XFX cards had compatibility issues with macOS...

Assuming there are no compatibility issues, see post #5230 of this thread for instructions on how to upgrade to latest OpenCore EFI. Nothing else needs to be changed.

Last edited:
I've opened the XFX box, and there doesn't seem to be any obvious dating information that I can tell. What's shown on the box is model, part number, serial number and version (ver N.3). I haven't unwrapped the card itself; trying to be cautious in case I have to send it back. Might there be something there?

I've opened the XFX box, and there doesn't seem to be any obvious dating information that I can tell. What's shown on the box is model, part number, serial number and version (ver N.3). I haven't unwrapped the card itself; trying to be cautious in case I have to send it back. Might there be something there?

Search around for "XFX 580 hackintosh compatibility". I don't know which work and which don't off the bat...

Regarding TitanRidge and Thunderbolt-Displays

I know, this topic is some older, but I got this problem some weeks ago while I played with the Monterey Beta, because it's not existent on Catalina. After many OpenCore configurations, SSDT experiments and some debug sessions, I read somewhere, that nearly the same problem can exist with Displayport monitors. The solution was to enable CSM in BIOS... and YES! this worked here too. My conclusion is, that Apple changed something between the macOS versions 11.2 and 11.6, because I remember that all worked without "enabled CSM" for me until BigSur freezes, because of the TitanRidge-Samsung-NVMe-Problem. So I hadn't used Big Sur and my working system is Catalina - also today.
Since I have enabled CSM in BIOS, the Apple Thunderbolt-Displays (I have 2 chained on a RX580) work from the second boot part, where macOS activating or switching something with the graphics mode.
O M G ! Enabling CSM partially worked. macOSX boot up screen shows up, the progress bar moves up to 60% then all goes black and the monitor starts flickering. Any ideas?

Bios F9I
Under Boot: CSM Support Enabled

@tijeladeacai, what graphics card you are using and how are the monitors connected? Is Opencore and Whatevergreen.kext on the newesr up-to-date?
Hi, I am using OpenCore. OS current version is Catalina.

GPU: RADEON Vega 64
Thunderbolt card: Titan Ridge

Kexts are all updated.

Two DisplayPort cables are connected from my GPU to Thunderbolt card and a single TB cable is connected to my Apple Studio Display.

I am able to see the Gigabyte splash screen, OC boot picker, MacOS progress bar but then all goes black.

Typically, when using a regular monitor, the screen goes black momentarily when OS is adjusting the resolution then the progress bar comes back and completes.

Last edited:
Ok. I updated whatevergreen, and it is working now.
Now I need to make the audio, camera and brightness to work.

Back