Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

My USB drive dock that I use for backup recently became wonky, and I decided to replace it with a 3.5" hot plugable bay in a 5.25" slot of my case. But it is not hot plugable. I have to reboot to get the drive. It's is set as hot plugable in BIOS. Any tips on how to make that work? All I could find were old clover references that don't seem to be relevant anymore on OC and Ventura.

My USB drive dock that I use for backup recently became wonky, and I decided to replace it with a 3.5" hot plugable bay in a 5.25" slot of my case. But it is not hot plugable. I have to reboot to get the drive. It's is set as hot plugable in BIOS. Any tips on how to make that work? All I could find were old clover references that don't seem to be relevant anymore on OC and Ventura.

I don't know. I've never tried to get hot plug working in macOS.

I tried this and it does seem to work on OC 0.8.7 and Ventura 13.1. Note the discussion and how it is picky from OS version to OS version

EDIT: Turns out this does NOT really work. Spotlight seems to fight with these hot plugged in drives and they cannot be ejected without force ejecting or killing spotlight processes. This in turn leads to corrupted drives :thumbdown. There may ultimately be a solution to this but I couldn't find one. I've got back to "normal" SATA where to swap drives I have to shutdown first. Not a problem for my use case as I only do offsite backups monthly. But I wanted to warn others.

Last edited:
Hello! I installed the F9j BIOS version a long time ago, and my BIOS is blocked. I can no longer make updates with QFlash nor with the Gigabyte @BIOS application. Do you know the solution to unlock it so that I can install the F9 version?

Thank you very much. You have did a great job with this single card.

Hello! I installed the F9j BIOS version a long time ago, and my BIOS is blocked. I can no longer make updates with QFlash nor with the Gigabyte @BIOS application. Do you know the solution to unlock it so that I can install the F9 version?

Thank you very much. You have did a great job with this single card.

I don't know... I never updated and never looked in to any downgrading solutions.

632a07b91e7ec900010148b1_medium.jpg

Back