Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

I use macOS running pretty much 24/7 and went about 13 years without having to do a clean install. And, when I did, it was just because I wanted a clean start to remove traces of old 32-bit apps that are no longer supported.

I have Windows installed but barely every boot in to it and have a very limited number of apps installed and have to do a clean install every 2-3 years due to stability issues...

Switch to Windows as my everyday OS? Hell no!!

@pastrychef how different is this motherboard from the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X ? Can we achieve the same results with the Gaming X? I know it's an odd question :/ By the way have you tried virtualization using this motherboard and the i9 9900k?

I've been having some issues with my board. Installing an esata PCIe card or an Aquantia AQ107 card in PCIe slots 4,3,2 and the machine will not post. As soon as I remove them it posts. Running f9l bios. I changed speeds of the PCIE lanes but didn't seem to matter. pulled battery, and reset cmos, but board is acting funny. Only thing I think it could be now is the ram.

this is my 2nd machine with this board. I keep the 2nd one as a backup in case my main hack dies and for testing. The main one is finicky as well in that sometimes I boot and it wants to load optimzed defaults, then it gets back to normal. But it doesn't complain about PCIe cards. never had these kinda problems with my Z77X-UD5-TH board. that thing is rock solid.

But wondering if anyone else has seen isuses like this?

@pastrychef how different is this motherboard from the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X ? Can we achieve the same results with the Gaming X? I know it's an odd question :/ By the way have you tried virtualization using this motherboard and the i9 9900k?
@HackintoshFanN99 : I'm not pastrychef, but I have the Z390 Gaming X motherboard. I essentially adapted PC's Z390M Gaming EFIs with not many changes. You will have to generate a different USBPorts kext. If you want to use the HDMI out, the framebuffer patch is the same.

You can check out my build here:

@HackintoshFanN99 : I'm not pastrychef, but I have the Z390 Gaming X motherboard. I essentially adapted PC's Z390M Gaming EFIs with not many changes. You will have to generate a different USBPorts kext. If you want to use the HDMI out, the framebuffer patch is the same.

You can check out my build here:

Perfect :D and regarding virtualization does it work? have you tried, I dunno VMWare, VirtualBox or Docker?

Z390 is Z390. My EFI folders should work fine with very little changes.

Download the OpenCore EFI.
Delete everything in config.plist > DeviceProperties > Add.
Make your own USB ports kext for your motherboard.

Virtualization works fine.

Hi there Pastry,

I was wondering if you updated Clover to the 5026 release and if you know how the drivers are meant to be used.
Installing it without using the new drivers doesn't work.
Thanks a lot.

Perfect :D and regarding virtualization does it work? have you tried, I dunno VMWare, VirtualBox or Docker?

If you go through my build post, I use Parallels -- does that count? It works flawlessly. I have the VT-d option enabled in BIOS.

I haven't tried anything else. If PC can get it to work on his rig, it should work on the Gaming X. Is there a free resource? I can try installing one of the packages if you want me to test it out.

I haven't tried anything else. If PC can get it to work on his rig, it should work on the Gaming X. Is there a free resource? I can try installing one of the packages if you want me to test it out.
Yep VirtualBox and Docker are free. But according to pastrychef it should work :D It would be lovely if you could test it too.

I have Windows installed but barely every boot in to it and have a very limited number of apps installed and have to do a clean install every 2-3 years due to stability issues...

Switch to Windows as my everyday OS? Hell no!!
1604069657952.png

Hours, days, weeks or even longer. Thank you. Microsoft Corporation.

Back