Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Once installation is done, you can even boot your "Bootcamp" drive in macOS as a virtual machine using VMware Fusion

After days and a long weekend of mucking about with various guides with various levels of success, I found this post. THANK YOU @pastrychef for this. It worked right-off. I've got a solid Catalina boot on one drive and then I installed Windows 10 on a second. Both show up in the neat little graphical boot picker menu.

Now I'm trying to launch the Windows drive in Bootcamp using VMWare Fusion (Pro 11.5.5). I'm getting a VMWare error "Boot Camp volume preprocessing failed." which, according to Google, has been around for a decade and might or might not be related to the fact that this is a hackintosh.

Has anyone run into this issue, or is anyone aware of anything special I need to do in order to boot a Windows drive in VMWare Fusion?

After days and a long weekend of mucking about with various guides with various levels of success, I found this post. THANK YOU @pastrychef for this. It worked right-off. I've got a solid Catalina boot on one drive and then I installed Windows 10 on a second. Both show up in the neat little graphical boot picker menu.

Now I'm trying to launch the Windows drive in Bootcamp using VMWare Fusion (Pro 11.5.5). I'm getting a VMWare error "Boot Camp volume preprocessing failed." which, according to Google, has been around for a decade and might or might not be related to the fact that this is a hackintosh.

Has anyone run into this issue, or is anyone aware of anything special I need to do in order to boot a Windows drive in VMWare Fusion?

I use VMware Fusion with my "Bootcamp" drive on this machine. It works. The only issue I've had is that sometimes VMware Fusion will complain about not being able to find the vmdk. I just have to point to towards the correct file and it boots right up.

What issue are you having exactly? Please post a screenshot.

Last edited:
I use VMware Fusion with my "Bootcamp" drive on this machine. It works. The only issue I've had is that sometimes VMware Fusion will complain about not being able to find the vmdk. I just have to point to towards the correct file and it boots right up.

What issue are you having exactly? Please post a screenshot.

Since this is a "typical" VMWare error message, at least according to Google, I wonder whether or not it's related to this particular build.

Some more background on how I installed Windows: First I installed Catalina according to your guide. Then I popped in a new SSD, erased the existing junk on it with Disk Utility, then booted with a Windows 10 bootable USB. I picked the empty drive and installed Windows 10 Pro. That's pretty much it. It automatically showed up in the graphical list of whether to boot Mac, Windows, or reset NVRAM.

Here is the first screen in VMWare, and then the next screen with the error. Did I do something different with how I installed Windows?

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 8.11.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 8.11.12 PM.png

Since this is a "typical" VMWare error message, at least according to Google, I wonder whether or not it's related to this particular build.

Some more background on how I installed Windows: First I installed Catalina according to your guide. Then I popped in a new SSD, erased the existing junk on it with Disk Utility, then booted with a Windows 10 bootable USB. I picked the empty drive and installed Windows 10 Pro. That's pretty much it. It automatically showed up in the graphical list of whether to boot Mac, Windows, or reset NVRAM.

Here is the first screen in VMWare, and then the next screen with the error. Did I do something different with how I installed Windows?

View attachment 481298

View attachment 481299

In macOS, try going to System Preferences > Startup Disk and select the "Bootcamp" drive. Then try setting up VMware Fusion again. After it creates your virtual machine, double check that it's set to Windows 10.

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 11.38.17 PM.png

I too am having black screen when attempting to enter BIOS setting screen. Tried both HDMI and DP cables, unplug and replug to no avail. Couldn't get into the BIOS screen.
Where did you get the beta BIOS firmware for this M/B? Is there a link to check if they have newer versions, or a way to report back the issue?
I am trying to find a solution to make Apple Watch Unlock work after sleep. Currently it works only during the first boot cycle before sleep. Someone discovered that disabling serial port in F7 BIOS fixes Apple Watch Unlock issue, but the option to disable serial port was removed from F8 and onwards.
I can confirm that turning off the serial port indeed fixed the apple watch login issue after sleep for me. Although updating to this new BIOS was a pain in the rear, due to the black screen issue. Finally connected it to a portable HDMI Monitor, which allowed me to access the BIOS and change settings. After turning off CSM, I was finally able to see the BIOS screen on my main monitor. Re-enabling CSM caused the black screen issue again.

Oh, and a big thanks to pastrychef for all the work and effort that was put into this!
Everything worked perfectly for me with your files, except for a few really minor details like e.g. the apple watch unlock.

Last edited:
It looks like I may have fixed it. I had set the RAM XMCP profile so that my RAM would run at 3200MHz. Apparently the undesired result of that is it ejects USB drives after sleep. This wouldn't normally be a big problem, but for my testing, my system drive is connected via USB. Doh! Changing back to the default ram setting fixed it.

I did make another changes based on another post here:

Not sure whether that made a difference or not. I'll post my config.plist once I get it test further.

After more testing, using the original config.plist in post #4 for integrated graphics does work fine for me. No issues anymore with the HDMI port not waking up after sleep. My problem was simply I had turned on the XMCP profile in my bios to get the faster RAM speed, but that was ejecting my USB boot drive on sleep. I am playing around with setting the memory speed in the bios directly to 3200MHz and so far that seems to work fine.

Now to try and get a Titan Ridge AIC. They are hard to get on ebay. I keep getting outbid. The only other options are getting them from sellers in Taiwan, Japan or Israel and waiting weeks for shipping. If anyone has one they don't want or need, send me a message. I really want to try to flash the ROM and see if I can get it to work with my thunderbolt display.

After more testing, using the original config.plist in post #4 for integrated graphics does work fine for me. No issues anymore with the HDMI port not waking up after sleep. My problem was simply I had turned on the XMCP profile in my bios to get the faster RAM speed, but that was ejecting my USB boot drive on sleep. I am playing around with setting the memory speed in the bios directly to 3200MHz and so far that seems to work fine.

Now to try and get a Titan Ridge AIC. They are hard to get on ebay. I keep getting outbid. The only other options are getting them from sellers in Taiwan, Japan or Israel and waiting weeks for shipping. If anyone has one they don't want or need, send me a message. I really want to try to flash the ROM and see if I can get it to work with my thunderbolt display.

Disabling XMP can fix some obscure issues. It's usually one of the first things I disable when trying to troubleshoot stuff.

Please keep us updated on your Thunderbolt flashing adventures. I'm sure a lot of other users would like to know what works well with this motherboard.

I am playing around with setting the memory speed in the bios directly to 3200MHz and so far that seems to work fine.
Disabling XMP can fix some obscure issues. It's usually one of the first things I disable when trying to troubleshoot stuff.

I too would like to OC RAM manually and disable XMP... Could someone help or direct me to some idiot's guides, please? :)

Last edited:
Back