Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

I booted again with WEG removed. This time FCP didn't crash and exported the same project in around 2min 12s - just a few seconds more than with WEP in place (with IGPU enabled).

Ideally, keeping WEG in place but doing some other tweak to fix sleep might be the best bet. For now, I'll leave WEG removed as you suggested for a few days and see if there are other instabilities.

Thanks for the suggestion...what exactly does WEG actually do?
So I played around with Whatevergreen.kext not in EFI for a day, but generally the system runs smoother with it included.

Issues:
  • FCP exports quicker with WEG installed (with IGPU enabled in BIOS and mostly CPU usage rather than RX 580)
  • I've had at least one system crash with WEG not installed
  • FCP has crashed more than once so that I cannot reopen it without booting with Whatevergreen installed again.
(For some reason, when Whatevergreen not installed, MacOS sees both the RX 580 and the internal graphics...though it identifies it as "intel hd graphics cfl crb" for some reason).

So calling all those that have this motherboard and an RX 580 (I've the Sapphire Pulse)....any suggestions for tweaks that could allow the system to not cause kernel panic on wake from sleep? It's pretty much the only thing in this system not working....even Sidecar works amazingly without usb cable.

Config.plist attached incase it helps.
Thanks

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 44
Just a shot in the dark here....I am using an EFI based on pastrychef's in my Gaming X mobo. I have rarely had a problem with the sleep/wake, but I did encounter that error before after I installed iStats. It went back to normal after I uninstalled it. Are you running that or any other hardware monitoring application?

So I played around with Whatevergreen.kext not in EFI for a day, but generally the system runs smoother with it included.

Issues:
  • FCP exports quicker with WEG installed (with IGPU enabled in BIOS and mostly CPU usage rather than RX 580)
  • I've had at least one system crash with WEG not installed
  • FCP has crashed more than once so that I cannot reopen it without booting with Whatevergreen installed again.
(For some reason, when Whatevergreen not installed, MacOS sees both the RX 580 and the internal graphics...though it identifies it as "intel hd graphics cfl crb" for some reason).

So calling all those that have this motherboard and an RX 580 (I've the Sapphire Pulse)....any suggestions for tweaks that could allow the system to not cause kernel panic on wake from sleep? It's pretty much the only thing in this system not working....even Sidecar works amazingly without usb cable.

Config.plist attached incase it helps.
Thanks

Just a shot in the dark here....I am using an EFI based on pastrychef's in my Gaming X mobo. I have rarely had a problem with the sleep/wake, but I did encounter that error before after I installed iStats. It went back to normal after I uninstalled it. Are you running that or any other hardware monitoring application?
How I hoped you were right! I did have iStat menus installed (and Menumeters for that matter!). I uninstalled both and rebooted. Crash still happens every time on wake from sleep. It gets to the login screen, but the screen is always frozen. (Monitor attached via DVI).

Only happens since I've installed the RX 580, and with IGPU enabled. Before, when I only had IGPU (and was set to Auto in BIOS), sleep worked grand. Now, sleep will only work with IGPU set to Auto or disabled. But that breaks Sidecar and FCPX exports are much slower.

Thanks for your idea though.

Crash report attached.

Attachments

• Crash report.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 59
How I hoped you were right! I did have iStat menus installed (and Menumeters for that matter!). I uninstalled both and rebooted. Crash still happens every time on wake from sleep. It gets to the login screen, but the screen is always frozen. (Monitor attached via DVI).

Only happens since I've installed the RX 580, and with IGPU enabled. Before, when I only had IGPU (and was set to Auto in BIOS), sleep worked grand. Now, sleep will only work with IGPU set to Auto or disabled. But that breaks Sidecar and FCPX exports are much slower.

Crash report attached.

Make this with IGPU -> Enabled

Download IORegistryExplorer and send pls him (File -> Save As)

Crash report attached.

Try clearing the CMOS and the NVRAM.

After you clear the CMOS you have to unlock the MSR again.

Try clearing the CMOS and the NVRAM.

After you clear the CMOS you have to unlock the MSR again.
Pardon me being such a noob. Is this just a matter of Loading optimised defaults in BIOS or do I have to touch the Clear CMOS jumper pins with a screwdriver???!

I have a saved Profile in BIOS after I unlocked MSR. Can I just load it afterward?

Also, how to I clear nvram, I tried this in terminal but it didn't work...

-iMac-Pro ~ % nvram -c
nvram: Error clearing firmware variables: (iokit/common) not permitted

Thanks,

Last edited:
No problem! No noobs around here -- by virtue of hackintoshing you are miles ahead of the unwashed masses who buy Apple products.

By saving the BIOS, you are 1 step ahead!

1. Clear the NVRAM by booting into Clover, then pressing F11 at the bootloader screen. You should see your mouse cursor disappear for a second. Then RESTART the computer instead of booting into OS X.

2. At the POST screen, shut down the computer by the power switch. Unplug the power cable and discharge the computer by pressing the power switch 2 or 3 times.

3a. You can reset the CMOS by one of two ways. First is touching the CMOS_CLR jumper pins with a screwdriver for about 10 seconds (you could also put a jumper on it, but this is only easy if you have a jumper lying around and the pins are easily accessible. The screwdriver is much easier!)

3b. The other method is to pop out the button battery on the motherboard. There is a little hinge holding the battery in place. Gently push on this hinge and the battery pops out. Wait for about 2 min (this is a good time to run and grab a beer or go to the bathroom --- or both). Replace the battery.

You'll know that you've successfully reset the CMOS once you power back on the system. It should POST then put you in the BIOS, with a warning that the BIOS has been reset.

4. Load your saved profile. Save and exit and boot as normal!

5. Report back if your sleep problem is fixed.

Pardon me being such a noob. Is this just a matter of Loading optimised defaults in BIOS or do I have to touch the Clear CMOS jumper pins with a screwdriver???!

I have a saved Profile in BIOS after I unlocked MSR. Can I just load it afterward?

Thanks,

No problem! No noobs around here -- by virtue of hackintoshing you are miles ahead of the unwashed masses who buy Apple products.

By saving the BIOS, you are 1 step ahead!

1. Clear the NVRAM by booting into Clover, then pressing F11 at the bootloader screen. You should see your mouse cursor disappear for a second. Then RESTART the computer instead of booting into OS X.

2. At the POST screen, shut down the computer by the power switch. Unplug the power cable and discharge the computer by pressing the power switch 2 or 3 times.

3a. You can reset the CMOS by one of two ways. First is touching the CMOS_CLR jumper pins with a screwdriver for about 10 seconds (you could also put a jumper on it, but this is only easy if you have a jumper lying around and the pins are easily accessible. The screwdriver is much easier!)

3b. The other method is to pop out the button battery on the motherboard. There is a little hinge holding the battery in place. Gently push on this hinge and the battery pops out. Wait for about 2 min (this is a good time to run and grab a beer or go to the bathroom --- or both). Replace the battery.

You'll know that you've successfully reset the CMOS once you power back on the system. It should POST then put you in the BIOS, with a warning that the BIOS has been reset.

4. Load your saved profile. Save and exit and boot as normal!

5. Report back if your sleep problem is fixed.
Wow, thanks for the reassuringly clear detail. I'll try it in the morning, I'm off to bed!

I think so! It worked for me! Your error indicates that you used AptioMemoryFix, which is what Multibeast uses.

pastrychef uses OCQuirks/OCRuntime for the Aptio memory map in the BIOS, but they cannot coexist with each other. So when you switched from one to the other, you need to clear the previous one out.

If you've unlocked your MSR, make sure to save your Profile. After you clear your CMOS, your BIOS will be reset and you will have to re-unlock your MSR and load all your BIOS settings. If you've save it as a profile after unlocking the MSR, you can simply reload the profile and your MSR should be unlocked.

Hi Tedyun That´s it?

Back