Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Hi all,

Tried this with my build (Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming + i5 9600k + VGA PowerColor Radeon RX 5700). Got to the Clover installer, installed macOS but I can't boot into macOS, and it always boots back to the Clover installer. I unlocked the MSR, added agdpmod=pikera boot argument.

Hi all,

Tried this with my build (Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming + i5 9600k + VGA PowerColor Radeon RX 5700). Got to the Clover installer, installed macOS but I can't boot into macOS, and it always boots back to the Clover installer. I unlocked the MSR, added agdpmod=pikera boot argument.

At the Clover boot menu, press the space bar and select "don't reboot on kernel panic".

Then, boot in verbose mode and take a picture of the kernel panic and post here.

At the Clover boot menu, press the space bar and select "don't reboot on kernel panic".

Then, boot in verbose mode and take a picture of the kernel panic and post here.

Is that on the Mac OSX installation disk or the MacOS drive? Also, if I reboot it just goes back to the Clover boot menu. Do I press a key when I reboot or should it go automatically to verbose?

Is that on the Mac OSX installation disk or the MacOS drive? Also, if I reboot it just goes back to the Clover boot menu. Do I press a key when I reboot or should it go automatically to verbose?

When you install macOS, it will reboot several times. After the first reboot, you don't even need the USB installer anymore (unless Clover is on it). Then, from the Clover boot menu, keep selecting the "install" option until it's no longer there. To be clear, these "install" options are from your main system drive, not the USB installer.

You can select verbose by pressing the space bar at the Clover boot menu.

When you install macOS, it will reboot several times. After the first reboot, you don't even need the USB installer anymore (unless Clover is on it). Then, from the Clover boot menu, keep selecting the "install" option until it's no longer there. To be clear, these "install" options are from your main system drive, not the USB installer.

You can select verbose by pressing the space bar at the Clover boot menu.
When I choose the macOS button in the Clover boot menu, screen just goes black. The Clover boot menu will only come up when the USB is still injected.

Well, I thought all was good. No FCPX crashes anymore, but I am getting a crash every time I wake from sleep. The login screen appears, but almost immediately afterward, the mouse is unresponsive and I cannot log in. Have to do a hard reset. Crash log attached. It happens regardless of whether monitor is attached to DVI or HDMI.

Strange this didn't happen last night. But has happened every time today.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Attachments

• Crash report after failed wake from sleep.txt
    6 KB · Views: 49
When I choose the macOS button in the Clover boot menu, screen just goes black. The Clover boot menu will only come up when the USB is still injected.

Please try installing macOS with just IGPU. Then add back your RX 5700 after installation is done.

Well, I thought all was good. No FCPX crashes anymore, but I am getting a crash every time I wake from sleep. The login screen appears, but almost immediately afterward, the mouse is unresponsive and I cannot log in. Have to do a hard reset. Crash log attached. It happens regardless of whether monitor is attached to DVI or HDMI.

Strange this didn't happen last night. But has happened every time today.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Please try with WhateverGreen removed from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.

Please try with WhateverGreen removed from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.
Thanks,

I discovered that the sleep issue is only there when IGPU is enabled in BIOS. If it is set to Auto or disabled, then sleep works. However, without IGPU enabled, Sidecar does not work - you have also said IGPU enabled is essential if running under SMBIOS iMac19,1, so I'm not sure what other issues may come if it were to remain disabled.

I've also discovered that exporting an 8.5 minute 720p project to H.264 with FCPX takes 2 minutes with IGPU Enabled and 8 minutes when IGPU on Auto/disabled. So IGPU Enabled is kinda necessary it would seem!

I tried booting from my clover USB stick with Whatevergreen removed as you suggested. A couple of interesting things resulted:

1. There were some purple lines/glitches on boot, but it did eventually boot to the login screen.
2. In About this Mac, the Graphics displayed the Radeon RX 580 (as opposed to ??? 8GB), so that was good. Also, Sidecar and sleep both worked...so far so good.
3. Unfortunately, FCPX was less stable. In fact, it got to the point where I could not open it. It went into a loop where it wanted to send a crash report to apple (attached) but wouldn't reopen. I had to reboot with Whatevergreen back in place for it to work again.

So I think I'm back to the drawing board on this issue. Sleep is really nice to have to save me turning off the computer every time I'm done.

Attachments

• FCPX crash output wo whatevergreen2.txt
    115.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Thanks,

I discovered that the sleep issue is only there when IGPU is enabled in BIOS. If it is set to Auto or disabled, then sleep works. However, without IGPU enabled, Sidecar does not work - you have also said IGPU enabled is essential if running under SMBIOS iMac19,1, so I'm not sure what other issues may come if it were to remain disabled.

I've also discovered that exporting an 8.5 minute 720p project to H.264 with FCPX takes 2 minutes with IGPU Enabled and 8 minutes when IGPU on Auto/disabled. So IGPU Enabled is kinda necessary it would seem!

I tried booting from my clover USB stick with Whatevergreen removed as you suggested. A couple of interesting things resulted:

1. There were some purple lines/glitches on boot, but it did eventually boot to the login screen.
2. In About this Mac, the Graphics displayed the Radeon RX 580 (as opposed to ??? 8GB), so that was good. Also, Sidecar and sleep both worked...so far so good.
3. Unfortunately, FCPX was less stable. In fact, it got to the point where I could not open it. It went into a loop where it wanted to send a crash report to apple (attached) but wouldn't reopen. I had to reboot with Whatevergreen back in place for it to work again.

So I think I'm back to the drawing board on this issue. Sleep is really nice to have to save me turning off the computer every time I'm done.
I booted again with WEG removed. This time FCP didn't crash and exported the same project in around 2min 12s - just a few seconds more than with WEP in place (with IGPU enabled).

Ideally, keeping WEG in place but doing some other tweak to fix sleep might be the best bet. For now, I'll leave WEG removed as you suggested for a few days and see if there are other instabilities.

Thanks for the suggestion...what exactly does WEG actually do?

Last edited:
Back