Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Still didn't work, I even tried installing to another drive and the install just stopped and restarts the computer, I do not for the life of me understand what is going on...

Maybe it's the 5700...

Please try with the 5700 pulled and with the attached EFI. You can plug the 5700 back in after macOS has been installed.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    23.2 MB · Views: 68
Maybe it's the 5700...

Please try with the 5700 pulled and with the attached EFI. You can plug the 5700 back in after macOS has been installed.
Should I just drop my rx580 back in and remove the 5700 boot arg?

Should I just drop my rx580 back in and remove the 5700 boot arg?

That will work too. If you use the RX 580, don't use the EFI from post #721.

You are a true genius and legend, I never would have thought my GC would have been the problem... It's updating as I type. Thank you so much, and thank you again, I never could have had my system running so well without you.

@pastrychef
So I guess there were significant changes in he way OpenCore works between 5.4 and 5.6. I tried but when I do I get a failure to boot and have to roll back my EFI folder using windows.

IMG_4946.jpg

Not sure what any of this means. I looked and noticed you have posted newer version of you Opencore EFI but I noticed that there are significant changes compared to mine and I don't know exactly what parts matter.

like I'm not sure why you have the VegaTab in there I mean does it work with the Radeon VII?

Not sure what the deal is here. is this going to be a thing where there are drastic changes every time open core updates. seems like kinda a pain. I mean usual with clover you just update date .efi file and the kexts that had new versions. maybe a driver. OpenCore seems to be very much a moving target requiring significant knowledge to rebuild the config ever time.

@pastrychef
So I guess there were significant changes in he way OpenCore works between 5.4 and 5.6. I tried but when I do I get a failure to boot and have to roll back my EFI folder using windows.

View attachment 459746

Not sure what any of this means. I looked and noticed you have posted newer version of you Opencore EFI but I noticed that there are significant changes compared to mine and I don't know exactly what parts matter.

like I'm not sure why you have the VegaTab in there I mean does it work with the Radeon VII?

Not sure what the deal is here. is this going to be a thing where there are drastic changes every time open core updates. seems like kinda a pain. I mean usual with clover you just update date .efi file and the kexts that had new versions. maybe a driver. OpenCore seems to be very much a moving target requiring significant knowledge to rebuild the config ever time.

Yes, there were drastic changes from 0.5.4 to 0.5.6 and we should expect there to be drastic changes with each new release. Technically, OpenCore is still considered to be in beta so it's to be expected. Yes, it is a moving target and does require more knowledge to work with.

If you are using my EFI, you can not use the same config.plist across different versions of OpenCore. You should just copy your Platform Info and paste it to the config.plist included with new versions of OpenCore EFI.

I left the VegaTab kext in there by accident but it's not enabled so it does nothing. You can not just look in the kext folder to see what's enabled like you can with Clover. Everything has to be manually enabled in config.plist.

I still maintain the Clover EFI and it also has the NVRAM fix so users can always go back to Clover if they are more comfortable with it.

Yes, there were drastic changes from 0.5.4 to 0.5.6 and we should expect there to be drastic changes with each new release. Technically, OpenCore is still considered to be in beta so it's to be expected. Yes, it is a moving target and does require more knowledge to work with.

If you are using my EFI, you can not use the same config.plist across different versions of OpenCore. You should just copy your Platform Info and paste it to the config.plist included with new versions of OpenCore EFI.

I left the VegaTab kext in there by accident but it's not enabled so it does nothing. You can not just look in the kext folder to see what's enabled like you can with Clover. Everything has to be manually enabled in config.plist.

I still maintain the Clover EFI and it also has the NVRAM fix so users can always go back to Clover if they are more comfortable with it.
I used VisualDiffer and was able to determine what to bring over to update and what stuff that was in mine was prolly no longer needed in the newer versions there were a couple things related to my PCIe cards the tI left in so far all seems well.

I no longer get the errors on boot anymore either like I used to. also I get the boot picker for a couple seconds! this is HUGE! hopefully I will be able to just leave my windows drives SATA port enabled. now and pick it when I want it. Till now I have been having to enable and disable the port in the bios as when the port is enable the system will always boot windows no matter what I do neither the bios or OpenCore. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your hard work mate!

UPDATE:

Ok so that went a lot better than I hoped I was able to turn the windows drive back on and not have it take over. however I get this when I boot up

IMG_4948.jpg

says: Invalid Parameter but it got cut off.

what does this mean?

UPDATE:2

I got rid of the UsePicker Error it is depreciated and has been removed as of 5.6. I removed it from the config and now it is gone.

as for the NVRAM one I'm at a loss.

Last edited:
I used VisualDiffer and was able to determine what to bring over to update and what stuff that was in mine was prolly no longer needed in the newer versions there were a couple things related to my PCIe cards the tI left in so far all seems well.

I no longer get the errors on boot anymore either like I used to. also I get the boot picker for a couple seconds! this is HUGE! hopefully I will be able to just leave my windows drives SATA port enabled. now and pick it when I want it. Till now I have been having to enable and disable the port in the bios as when the port is enable the system will always boot windows no matter what I do neither the bios or OpenCore. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your hard work mate!

UPDATE:

Ok so that went a lot better than I hoped I was able to turn the windows drive back on and not have it take over. however I get this when I boot up

View attachment 459749

says: Invalid Parameter but it got cut off.

what does this mean?

UPDATE:2

I got rid of the UsePicker Error it is depreciated and has been removed as of 5.6. I removed it from the config and now it is gone.

as for the NVRAM one I'm at a loss.

Either delete or fill in config.plist > NVRAM > Add > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 > prev-lang:kbd
Delete config.plist > NVRAM > Block > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 > 0

Back