Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

I have a new problem with 10.15.4, whenever my Mac goes into sleep and I wake it up again I have a total bright washed out screen, only reboot the device fixes it... I think it has something to do what apple did to implement HDR, can you help me fix it. thanks

I have a new problem with 10.15.4, whenever my Mac goes into sleep and I wake it up again I have a total bright washed out screen, only reboot the device fixes it... I think it has something to do what apple did to implement HDR, can you help me fix it. thanks

If the HDR function is buggy, try disabling it and wait for Apple to fix it before starting to use it.

Also, I have disabled WhateverGreen for now because it was causing HDMI audio related kernel panics when waking from sleep. You can try disabling WhateverGreen to see if it helps you.

For me, WhateverGreen only enabled all the video out ports on my video card. Without it, only two of the four ports are active. Second, it enabled HDMI audio which seems to work without it now.

If the HDR function is buggy, try disabling it and wait for Apple to fix it before starting to use it.

Also, I have disabled WhateverGreen for now because it was causing HDMI audio related kernel panics when waking from sleep. You can try disabling WhateverGreen to see if it helps you.

For me, WhateverGreen only enabled all the video out ports on my video card. Without it, only two of the four ports are active. Second, it enabled HDMI audio which seems to work without it now.
Thanks will try to disable WhateverGreen.
I Did not enable HDR on purpose it enables itself on wake up after sleep somehow :(

Thanks will try to disable WhateverGreen.
I Did not enable HDR on purpose it enables itself on wake up after sleep somehow :(

Hmm... I thought it was something that can be user enabled/disable in System Preferences > Displays... Maybe we need to find a Terminal command that will disable it...

Capture d’écran 2020-03-25 à 12.43.05.png

Check before or after sleep if you are "Plage dynamique étendu" on enabled
if true, disable it

I use WhateverGreen with RX 64 Vega on DisplayPort, and I've not have problem after sleep.

hi @pastrychef , nice build, thank you!
I was looking references prior to update to 10.15.4 and found your build which solved some issues I had with mine. Now I have NVRAM working nicely with dual boot and also DRM with AppleTV.
As my build is very similar to yours and after reading almost entirely this thread, I can give some comments/confirmations:
  1. Audio - using AppleALC, I found layout 18 works fine for this motherboard, with all back and front connectors (set in Device section of config.plist)
  2. DRM - (Lilu and WEG must be updated to latest) My SMBIOS is configured to iMac19,1, IGPU is enabled in BIOS and patched in config.plist. Headless is essential so confirm it's working before continuing (can be checked in hackintool and VideoProc - see here). Inserting shikigva=16 did the trick in my case (Radeon 590), however it doesn't work for Safari (netflix/prime, ...), solved using Chrome (which I prefer so I didn't test with other web browser). Tested shikigva=80 but macOS freezes once hitting netflix site in Safari (background videos I guess). For reference, the thread you indicated is the best I've found.
  3. Multi display - working using 2 HDMI monitors connected to my RX 590 ports.
  4. NVRAM - working fine using your procedure in this thread. I keep using AptioMemoryFix however and deleted Emuvariables. One doubt: I still see nvram.plist in EFI being created, is it normal behaviour? Seems strange to me.
I'll probably wait for some more days before going to 10.15.4 but as today, it's all working very good.
thanks again

hi @pastrychef , nice build, thank you!
I was looking references prior to update to 10.15.4 and found your build which solved some issues I had with mine. Now I have NVRAM working nicely with dual boot and also DRM with AppleTV.
As my build is very similar to yours and after reading almost entirely this thread, I can give some comments/confirmations:
  1. Audio - using AppleALC, I found layout 18 works fine for this motherboard, with all back and front connectors (set in Device section of config.plist)
  2. DRM - (Lilu and WEG must be updated to latest) My SMBIOS is configured to iMac19,1, IGPU is enabled in BIOS and patched in config.plist. Headless is essential so confirm it's working before continuing (can be checked in hackintool and VideoProc - see here). Inserting shikigva=16 did the trick in my case (Radeon 590), however it doesn't work for Safari (netflix/prime, ...), solved using Chrome (which I prefer so I didn't test with other web browser). Tested shikigva=80 but macOS freezes once hitting netflix site in Safari (background videos I guess). For reference, the thread you indicated is the best I've found.
  3. Multi display - working using 2 HDMI monitors connected to my RX 590 ports.
  4. NVRAM - working fine using your procedure in this thread. I keep using AptioMemoryFix however and deleted Emuvariables. One doubt: I still see nvram.plist in EFI being created, is it normal behaviour? Seems strange to me.
I'll probably wait for some more days before going to 10.15.4 but as today, it's all working very good.
thanks again

I never tried to fix DRM with the new WhateverGreen tricks. I just use iMacPro1,1 since I don't have a Sidecar compatible iPad. Amazon Prime Videos works fine in Safari.

You should be able to delete the nvram.plist. It's probably a leftover file from when you were still using emulated NVRAM. Also, you should remove the RC scripts.

I can confirm DRM works with shikigva=80 on iMac 19,1 on 10.15.3. This WEG argument tricks the DRM system to think it’s iMac Pro. Apple TV+ shows play for 5 seconds without this argument, and now I can watch the entire 1 hour episode.

On a separate issue I’m still having, Apple Watch unlock stops working after sleep. Pastrychef, in your instruction you mentioned Wif/BT card is on slot 2 (slot 0 is the GPU) which is too close to the GPU fan. I am wondering if I can put Wifi/BT on slot 3, the furthest slot on the M/B, would this cause the any problem?

I can confirm DRM works with shikigva=80 on iMac 19,1 on 10.15.3. This WEG argument tricks the DRM system to think it’s iMac Pro. Apple TV+ shows play for 5 seconds without this argument, and now I can watch the entire 1 hour episode.

On a separate issue I’m still having, Apple Watch unlock stops working after sleep. Pastrychef, in your instruction you mentioned Wif/BT card is on slot 2 (slot 0 is the GPU) which is too close to the GPU fan. I am wondering if I can put Wifi/BT on slot 3, the furthest slot on the M/B, would this cause the any problem?

I think that even with shikigva=80, Netflix and Amazon Prime Videos will not working Safari.

I have my Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card in PCIEX1_2 (please see first image of post #1). That leaves enough room for a double wide GPU. The last slot should work fine but it's a waste of an x4 slot...

I can't confirm if Apple Watch unlock works. I don't have an Apple Watch.

You should be able to delete the nvram.plist. It's probably a leftover file from when you were still using emulated NVRAM. Also, you should remove the RC scripts.

Yes, thanks! :clap: No more nvram.plist is being created.
BTW, there are some others rc scripts there, should I care about them? Just wondering to clean up garbage...

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 08.11.02.png

comparing to another standard macbook, only rc.common and rc.netboot are there.

Back