Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

I will check, because this configuration is no longer with me, it was sold.
But the same mouse is working perfectly on the Macbook Pro.
I am using the G502 Lightspeed wireless mouse with no issues, I do have to have the Logitech software running for my mapped mouse buttons to work, mainly I set up the trigger button on the side to close windows. Once the software loads it works great.

If you want to install macOS on it, just boot in the Recovery partition at the OpenCore Boot Picker and you can install macOS from there. When done, copy your EFI folder to the EFI partition of your new SSD. You can also use Migration Assistant to migrate everything from your old SSD to the new one.

A bit of an update…

Originally I was concerned that I would have to remove that monster-sized CPU cooler (be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4) in order to install the additional OLOy memory cards. Turns out that this was not necessary. Removing the outboard fan allowed just enough room to get the new cards installed!

So, my questions have to do with the Migration Assistant. What I would like to do is:
  • Start the machine up on Catalina as it was previously
  • Use Migration Assistant to move everything from the previous 512Gb NVMe card to the new 2Tg NVMe card
  • Upgrade to Big Sur (last step for my GeForce card)
  • Install the new XFX RX 580 card
  • Upgrade to Ventura
I confess that I didn’t read every page of the Apple Support material for Migration Assistant. What I have seen talks about moving from Windows to the macOS or moving from an older Apple machine to a newer one. I have not seen anything about a procedure for migrating between drives on the same machine. I did see a note about when moving from one Mac to another that they should have different names. This doesn’t seem possible if the drives reside on the same machine.

Anyway, just trying to get everything lined up so that I can march through the process.

A bit of an update…

Originally I was concerned that I would have to remove that monster-sized CPU cooler (be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4) in order to install the additional OLOy memory cards. Turns out that this was not necessary. Removing the outboard fan allowed just enough room to get the new cards installed!

So, my questions have to do with the Migration Assistant. What I would like to do is:
  • Use Migration Assistant to move everything from the previous 512Gb NVMe card to the new 2Tg NVMe card
  • Upgrade to Ventura
I confess that I didn’t read every page of the Apple Support material for Migration Assistant. What I have seen talks about moving from Windows to the macOS or moving from an older Apple machine to a newer one. I have not seen anything about a procedure for migrating between drives on the same machine. I did see a note about when moving from one Mac to another that they should have different names. This doesn’t seem possible if the drives reside on the same machine.

Anyway, just trying to get everything lined up so that I can march through the process.

Just user superduper to clone the old drive to the new drive. Copy your EFI folder on the new drive and you are good to go.

A bit of an update…

• Upgrade to Ventura

Drive in the same machine works fine for Migration Assistant.

Do this:
Create Ventura USB Installer.
Install RX 580.
Install new 2TB NVMe SSD.
Boot in to Ventura USB installer and install Ventura on new 2TB NVMe SSD.
Boot in to new 2TB NVMe SSD.
Use Migration Assistant the first time the setup process makes the option available.
Select old 512 NVMe SSD as source for Migration Assistant.
Done.

Hi @pastrychef

I have just a couple of questions about your Syba 10G:

Does it work OOB under Monterey and Ventura?
Sleep/Wakes cycles are working with AQ107C? (Some AQ113 inhibits sleep)
Any card with AQ107 chip is equivalent to your Syba? Here I find easily the Asus one, but I cannot find Syba, Sonnet or other famous brands.

Thanks! :)

Hi @pastrychef

just a couple of questions about your Syba 10G:

does it work OOB under Monterey and Ventura?
Sleep/Wakes cycles are working with AQ107C? (Some AQ113 inhibits sleep)
Any card with AQ107 chip is equivalent to your Syba? Here I find easily the Asus one, but I cannot find Syba, Sonnet or other famous brands.

Thanks! :)

The only thing you need to get it to work is enable config.plist>Kernel>ForceAquantiaEthernet.

Yes, sleep/wake works.

As far as I know, any AQC107 based card should work.

Anyone have experience or suggestions on how I can understand how serious memory compatibility issues are?

I had some memory go bad (after several years and lots of stress like moving, so I don't consider it a big deal - memory can fail and otherwise no issues with my setup).

Very little available new or used at reasonable prices. So I'd like to replace with some used memory and I'm using the Gigabyte compatibility file, which dates to 2019 in its last update. (Note I've got the z390 m motherboard, not M Gaming.)

Again, not much available - but lots available that seems to meet all the criteria, to the extent I understand what they are of course (not much), and I can't help but think it's just memory that's come out more recently and not being updated by gigabyte.

Okay, I'm probably being penny wise and pound foolish on this. But still, would like to understand what I could take a risk on.

I can't help but think it's just memory that's come out more recently and not being updated by gigabyte.

Yes, any standard DDR4 should be fine. Just because it hasn't been verified by Gigabyte doesn't mean it won't work.

RAM is pretty cheap now. I don't think there's any need to buy used.

Yes, any standard DDR4 should be fine. Just because it hasn't been verified by Gigabyte doesn't mean it won't work.

RAM is pretty cheap now. I don't think there's any need to buy used.
Good advice but I decided to risk it - was quite cheap and from a guy I kind of know.

Seems to work, back to having enough memory again!

Back