Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Happy new year guys! After a long time, I'm back for help! lol
Yesterday I decided to update my Big Sur to the latest big Big Sur there is, and it worked. But, after booting up I had no USB working anymore. I have found something here about that problem. But it did not work for me. I don't know what am I doing wrong but I can't fix it.
the clue is in the second from last line

Happy new year guys! After a long time, I'm back for help! lol
Yesterday I decided to update my Big Sur to the latest big Big Sur there is, and it worked. But, after booting up I had no USB working anymore. I have found something here about that problem. But it did not work for me. I don't know what am I doing wrong but I can't fix it.

The screenshot tells you what the problem is...
error.png

I don't know what USBMapALLPORTS does but you may or may not need config.plist > Kernel > Add > XhciPortLimit.

Your ethernet is not going to work either since you don't have any drivers for it installed.

Good Day everyone. Here is the breakdown. Beforehand, I was running Catalina using Clover on a regular SSD for the same system; no issues. Then after over a year of using the system, I decided to update and did the following:

- Formatted USB Installer, downloaded Monterey on apple device, installed on USB device, added "opencore 0.74 EFI Z390M" --found on this thread-- and added to USB EFI.
- Flashed BIOS to reflect F9 version and updated recommended BIOS settings

Note: I was planning to install Monterey on WD750 M.2 drive and keep the SSD (Catalina) as a backup.

When I try to install (using USB boot loader), I get the OpenCore menu and I click on "Install Monterey" ; however, I see the Apple logo then it freezes.

I was planning to update UID, Serial, ROM after I installed Monterey; however, I'm stuck. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Good Day everyone. Here is the breakdown. Beforehand, I was running Catalina using Clover on a regular SSD for the same system; no issues. Then after over a year of using the system, I decided to update and did the following:

- Formatted USB Installer, downloaded Monterey on apple device, installed on USB device, added "opencore 0.74 EFI Z390M" --found on this thread-- and added to USB EFI.
- Flashed BIOS to reflect F9 version and updated recommended BIOS settings

Note: I was planning to install Monterey on WD750 M.2 drive and keep the SSD (Catalina) as a backup.

When I try to install (using USB boot loader), I get the OpenCore menu and I click on "Install Monterey" ; however, I see the Apple logo then it freezes.

I was planning to update UID, Serial, ROM after I installed Monterey; however, I'm stuck. What am I missing?

Please add boot argument "-v" to config.plist and post a photo of where it gets stuck.

See attached; thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 41
I had a few BIOS settings that were not annotated correctly. Now I‘m able to boot; more will follow.

Wow, I was able to get this done within 4-hours from start to finish. The last time I did this was a few years ago. Now it's so much easier compared to a few years ago.

Image 1-7-22 at 2.42 PM.jpg

I have one last question; I will replace my RX 580 with RX 5600XT. Do I simply need to add the boot-arg agdpmod=pikera when I replace with the 5600XT?

Last edited:
Good Morning. I installed the Gigabyte 5600XT and added apdpmod=pikera to the boot-arg. Then I get a blank screen after the apple logo. Is there any change I need to make to the config.plist?

I changed the connection from HMDI to Display Port and it worked great. No more issues!

Back