Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Well, it’s going to be back on the kitchen counter for unclipping and unscrewing for the next period of time!

You know, the other thing that is curious about this is that the machine ran just fine when it was up. Never missed a beat...

Hmmmm...

So...

With 3 hands, 2 rubber bands, 1 chopstick, 1 ceramic knife and tweezers, the 12v_2x4 is now connected (Yes, all that thanks to the size of my CPU Cooler!). Fired it up, and no change.

However, something occurred to me yesterday. What if all is well, but the signal is not getting to the monitor? I bought the monitor in 2008. I worked in Taiwan for 6 years and it made 2 round trips over time and one cross-country move. It has VGA and HDMI connectors. When I put the first incarnation of my Hackintosh together, I got a gender changer and an adapter cable to mate with the DisplayPort connector on my graphics card. It's been running in this configuration since 2014.

So, I removed the gender changer and the adapter cable and plugged into one of the HDMI ports on my graphics card.

WE ARE RUNNING!!!!

Evidently the DisplayPort side took a dive...

So...

With 3 hands, 2 rubber bands, 1 chopstick, 1 ceramic knife and tweezers, the 12v_2x4 is now connected (Yes, all that thanks to the size of my CPU Cooler!). Fired it up, and no change.

However, something occurred to me yesterday. What if all is well, but the signal is not getting to the monitor? I bought the monitor in 2008. I worked in Taiwan for 6 years and it made 2 round trips over time and one cross-country move. It has VGA and HDMI connectors. When I put the first incarnation of my Hackintosh together, I got a gender changer and an adapter cable to mate with the DisplayPort connector on my graphics card. It's been running in this configuration since 2014.

So, I removed the gender changer and the adapter cable and plugged into one of the HDMI ports on my graphics card.

WE ARE RUNNING!!!!

Evidently the DisplayPort side took a dive...
Congrats! I've had problems with DP > HDMI adapters myself.

It is unusual that you don't see the boot screen though. You should be able to get to the bootloader I would think.

There was never a signal to the monitor. The indicator light never switched from stand-by (yellow) to having a signal (blue). It was probably just sitting there waiting for my password, but I had no way of knowing as the screen was blank...

Opps, I misspoke. I am connected to the DVI port...

Last edited:
@pastrychef

Looking forward, is the upgrade to Big Sur directly through the App Store, or is OpenCore, etc. needed?

If you are using the latest OpenCore EFI, just update macOS as you would on a real Mac.

If you are using the latest OpenCore EFI, just update macOS as you would on a real Mac.

Cool! Yes, that is what I used. As I understand, Big Sur is still OK with my NVIDIA graphics card. Once I get this USB deal straightened out, I should be in good shape for the next step. Are there any reasons to put it off?

Cool! Yes, that is what I used. As I understand, Big Sur is still OK with my NVIDIA graphics card. Once I get this USB deal straightened out, I should be in good shape for the next step. Are there any reasons to put it off?

What is wrong with USB? If your PC case has USB 3 ports, my EFI should work OOTB.

It has to do with rearranging what is disabled and enabled. Mainly my USB-C port on the motherboard and the card reader don't work. The 2 USB 3.0 ports on the case don't work, but that's not a biggie for me. The USB-C is important because that's where I will connect my dock...

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/usb-c/owc/usb-c-dock

It has to do with rearranging what is disabled and enabled. Mainly my USB-C port on the motherboard and the card reader don't work. The 2 USB 3.0 ports on the case don't work, but that's not a biggie for me. The USB-C is important because that's where I will connect my dock...

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/usb-c/owc/usb-c-dock

The USB-C port works. The only thing that doesn't work with the USB-C port are USB 2 devices.

As stated in post #1, if you connect your PC case's USB 3 ports to F_USB30, they will work.

Back