Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

DRM should work with iMacPro1,1 whether you have RadeonBoost or not.

So the issue with DRM is related to my HDMI ghost plug that allows me to boot without a monitor plugged in(until my Apple TBD turns on which is connected to the TR card). So with RadeonBoost kext I don't have DRM issues with the ghost plug connected. If I remove RadeonBoost, then I need to unplug the HDMI ghost plug in order to stream. So somehow the radeonboost is working around HDCP or whatever security feature is being used. Without Radeon boost, I found my Apple TBD turns on more reliably when I restart, so I'll keep it removed for now, and just plug in the ghost plug when I need to cold boot.

This the HDMI ghost plug I am using.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XT1Z9TF/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

So the issue with DRM is related to my HDMI ghost plug that allows me to boot without a monitor plugged in(until my Apple TBD turns on which is connected to the TR card). So with RadeonBoost kext I don't have DRM issues with the ghost plug connected. If I remove RadeonBoost, then I need to unplug the HDMI ghost plug in order to stream. So somehow the radeonboost is working around HDCP or whatever security feature is being used. Without Radeon boost, I found my Apple TBD turns on more reliably when I restart, so I'll keep it removed for now, and just plug in the ghost plug when I need to cold boot.

This the HDMI ghost plug I am using.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XT1Z9TF/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Yes, HDCP should be the security mechanism used.

I don't know how the Thunderbolt Display works but when I still had my GC-Titan Ridge installed, the system booted fine with my monitor connected to the GC-Titan Ridge. Of course, I also had the two passthrough cables connect that connect my video card to the GC-Titan Ridge.

Yes, HDCP should be the security mechanism used.

I don't know how the Thunderbolt Display works but when I still had my GC-Titan Ridge installed, the system booted fine with my monitor connected to the GC-Titan Ridge. Of course, I also had the two passthrough cables connect that connect my video card to the GC-Titan Ridge.

Yeah, not sure why it needs to see a second monitor. Did your Thunderbolt display turn on after the Clover screen on first boot? That is what mine does. It stays black until after part way through the progress bar that appears below the Apple logo.

Just wanted to give a quick shoutout for this thread. I set up my Z390 M Gaming about a year ago using CaseySJ's Designare build as a baseline and it worked well enough, but there were always some little issues I didn't have the patience to try to fix. When I saw this thread last week I decided to do a full re-build using your EFI and I'm glad I did. Thanks for your great work @pastrychef , much appreciated.

Yeah, not sure why it needs to see a second monitor. Did your thunderbolt display turn on after the clover screen on first boot? That is what mine does. It stays black until after part way through the progress bar that appears below the apple logo.

No. I don't have a Thunderbolt Display... My monitor just uses DisplayPort. But your description leads me to believe that the Thunderbolt Display only gets an image after loading drivers. Does the motherboard complain that there's no monitor connected when you first turn on your computer without the dongle plugged in?

No. I don't have a Thunderbolt Display... My monitor just uses DisplayPort. But your description leads me to believe that the Thunderbolt Display only gets an image after loading drivers. Does the motherboard complain that there's no monitor connected when you first turn on your computer without the dongle plugged in?

I'm not sure. How do I check that the motherboard is complaining?

I'm not sure. How do I check that the motherboard is complaining?

On my Z370 system, if I try to turn on the computer, with no monitor connected, I get a long beep from the motherboard speaker and it doesn't boot in to Clover or OpenCore.

I noticed that a good number of people were having difficulty downloading/updating to the latest Big Sur Public Beta. No problems here... Everything went smooth as silk.

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 8.07.30 AM.png

On my Z370 system, if I try to turn on the computer, with no monitor connected, I get a long beep from the motherboard speaker and it doesn't boot in to Clover or OpenCore.

I don't think the z390 m has a speaker or any indicator lights.

I don't think the z390 m has a speaker or any indicator lights.

Yeah. Most motherboards don't include them anymore...

I purchased one of these:
7158JrlVinL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
It's really handy when trying to troubleshoot certain things.

Back