Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Success! I am up and running now. I had the similar setup as famishedrutting (XFX 5600 XT and i5-9600K) and just couldn't get it to work either after trying different things for days. Nor could I get the iGPU going either...just a blank screen.

Finally just picked up a reference RX 580 and had zero issues installing per your original post and latest Clover EFI. After the successful install I tried swapping the 5600 XT back with agdpmod=pikera in and it halted at boot again.

My XFX 5600 XT was just not compatible it appears. Luckily I can still return it. Curious want brands of 5700 XT others are having better luck with.

Thanks for all the help Chef

Problem report:
panic(cpu 3 caller 0xffffff7f8308447a): "[3:0:0][PPLIB] Failed Power Play Initialization. TTL Error Message: .
"@/AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/GPUDriversAMD/GPUDriversAMD-3.10.15/Common/IONDRV/ATI/AMDUniversalFramebuffer/AMDUniversalFramebuffer/Controller/Controllers/AmdRadeonController.cpp:1670

Hmm... Maybe it's the RadeonBoost.kext...

I built my machine, also with pastrychef's considerable help, a few weeks back. All the main problems during install for myself and other users in this thread since then have been with regard to the graphics card. Seems this is a biggie. Mine turned out to be mostly incompatible and like others it has been removed from the system. Maybe a working graphics card database could be started somewhere in the forum with make and part number to help those like myself. I've seen a few threads like this but nothing definitive...

Tony

Hmm... Maybe it's the RadeonBoost.kext...
I have it for a few weeks before I have to return if you think you might have something else to try.
Mike

I have it for a few weeks before I have to return if you think you might have something else to try.
Mike

Please go to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and delete RadeonBoost.kext and try with 5600 XT again.

I built my machine, also with pastrychef's considerable help, a few weeks back. All the main problems during install for myself and other users in this thread since then have been with regard to the graphics card. Seems this is a biggie. Mine turned out to be mostly incompatible and like others it has been removed from the system. Maybe a working graphics card database could be started somewhere in the forum with make and part number to help those like myself. I've seen a few threads like this but nothing definitive...

Tony

That would be helpful. Went with the reference design 580 just because I was sick of battling this issue and wanted to eliminate the video card from the equation. Achieved that goal, but the reference/blower design is loud and noisy under load though. Miss how quiet the XFX 5600 XT Thicc II Pro was with fan stop and 28-29dB under load.

Please put the attached EFI folder in the EFI partition of a USB flash drive. Then try booting from the USB flash drive and see if it helps with the 5600 XT.

On this attempt i had the screen go black during the boot sequence. Tried adding the navi string to config.plist, but got the same result.

Bam! RadeonBoost.kext was the culprit...Wonder what in there was causing the hang up. Either way, thanks Chef!
Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 7.52.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 7.52.31 AM.png

Hello.
I'm on Mojave.
I'm using OpenCore with the attached EFI with iGPU.
My dedicated GPU just arrived, haven't installed it yet.
How should I modify the EFI to be able to use the dGPU? thanks

Edit: dGPU is a RX 580 from Asus

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    19.9 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
On this attempt i had the screen go black during the boot sequence. Tried adding the navi string to config.plist, but got the same result.

Please go in to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and delete RadeonBoost.kext and try booting with the 5600 XT again. I think that's the culprit and everything should work once deleted.

Back