Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Well, I installed BIOS f9j, re-entered the hackintosh-specific settings, and turned off Serial. Restarted, and I still got the black screen like before.

I left and ran some errands, and came back to the computer with a plan to clear the CMOS and reinstall f9g or whatever it was I'd been using previously, but I gave it one more try to boot while hooked to the TV. The TV still showed "no signal" but I cycled through its inputs and when I came back to HDMI 1 — voila!

It booted in recovery mode, strangely enough. A quick trip to the Startup Disk app to re-select my boot drive, a (suspiciously slow) restart, and we were back in Catalina. I've restarted 2-3 times since then (normal amount of time elapsed for each boot). I've unhooked it from the TV, brought it back to my desk, and plugged it back into my monitor via Displayport. Still boots. And guess what: unlock with Apple Watch works now — until the first sleep. After that... no dice.

Well, I installed BIOS f9j, re-entered the hackintosh-specific settings, and turned off Serial. Restarted, and I still got the black screen like before.

I left and ran some errands, and came back to the computer with a plan to clear the CMOS and reinstall f9g or whatever it was I'd been using previously, but I gave it one more try to boot while hooked to the TV. The TV still showed "no signal" but I cycled through its inputs and when I came back to HDMI 1 — voila!

It booted in recovery mode, strangely enough. A quick trip to the Startup Disk app to re-select my boot drive, a (suspiciously slow) restart, and we were back in Catalina. I've restarted 2-3 times since then (normal amount of time elapsed for each boot). I've unhooked it from the TV, brought it back to my desk, and plugged it back into my monitor via Displayport. Still boots. And guess what: unlock with Apple Watch works now — until the first sleep. After that... no dice.

The only thing I can suggest is to make sure you have the "darkwake=0" boot argument in config.plist.

The only thing I can suggest is to make sure you have the "darkwake=0" boot argument in config.plist.
Actually, somewhere along the way, an iteration of my config.plist got saved without it! Fixed.

First, let's fix the macOS EFI partition.
Boot in to macOS.
Make a copy of your config.plist to your desktop.
Replace the EFI folder on your EFI partition with a clean copy from post #1.
Replace the config.plist that's in the EFI folder on your EFI partition with the one you copied to your desktop.
Done.

Sorry for the late reply, it's been a busy week already. I did exactly this, multiple times in fact, but I still get two entries in the Boot menu for the 970 EVO (UEFI OS and Windows Boot Manager).

In fact I even pulled the Win10 NVMe and went through your steps, still the same result. It does not appear to affect (nor has it ever affected) my ability to boot into macOS.

Sorry for the late reply, it's been a busy week already. I did exactly this, multiple times in fact, but I still get two entries in the Boot menu for the 970 EVO (UEFI OS and Windows Boot Manager).

In fact I even pulled the Win10 NVMe and went through your steps, still the same result. It does not appear to affect (nor has it ever affected) my ability to boot into macOS.

Yeah, it probably won't affect your ability to boot in to macOS, but it still shouldn't put the Windows Boot Manager on your 970 EVO...

Yeah, it probably won't affect your ability to boot in to macOS, but it still shouldn't put the Windows Boot Manager on your 970 EVO...

Haha I totally agree. I hate it when Windows does naughty things that it shouldn't do. I plan on keeping my Hackintosh pretty minimal, so it won't be the end of the world if at some point things go wonky and I have to do a fresh install.

Haha I totally agree. I hate it when Windows does naughty things that it shouldn't do. I plan on keeping my Hackintosh pretty minimal, so it won't be the end of the world if at some point things go wonky and I have to do a fresh install.

I doubt you will have to do a clean install. I went about 13 years without doing a clean install of macOS and only did it because Apple dropped support for 32-bit apps and I wanted a fresh start.

I doubt you will have to do a clean install. I went about 13 years without doing a clean install of macOS and only did it because Apple dropped support for 32-bit apps and I wanted a fresh start.

That is very encouraging to hear!

Ugh this is the main thing now keeping me from re-attempting a windows install, after I bought two nvmes in order to dual boot. If having Windows around to occasionally play with is going to compromise the MacOS boot volume in any way, it's not worth it to me.

Back