Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

I tested NVRAM according to this thread. It seems it is still not working, so maybe I did indeed not unlock the MSR correctly. I'm guessing I now need to reset the bios and start over as the next troubleshooting step.

Well, I didn't think that was it to begin with, but I went ahead and just straight up copied your efi with no modifications other than my smbios stuff and I turned off my internal graphics for good measure. I was using 19,1 and headerless igpu, but like I said, just went with everything your way. Selected boot priority to opencore, then the NVME drive I want to boot from, then other drives. Now instead of on the bios screen, i get that same error on its own black screen after that, and then the nice opencore boot screen appears. However, still no NVME drive. I can still see and boot it through clover though, so I guess worse comes to worse I can just keep doing that, but it seems kinda stupid. My only thought is that I screwed something up during the unlocking of the MSR, but I swear I followed your directions exactly.

Unlocking MSR should not affect the ability to boot from NVMe. I boot from NVMe myself...

The good news is, even with booting through clover, the system is blazing fast. Even faster than it was with my slightly modified settings under 19,1 so I feel like I'm getting closer, and probably will leave it like this on 1,1. Still no netflix in safari though lol. Not that I care that much. But I think my DRM gripe is never getting solved.

If you want working DRM, use iMacPro1,1 system definition.

Unlocking MSR should not affect the ability to boot from NVMe. I boot from NVMe myself...

If you want working DRM, use iMacPro1,1 system definition.

It is on that definition. It's either my graphics card, the fact I'm booting through clover initially, or some other issue.

Oh wait, no I just checked the system report and it is indeed still on 19,1 somehow, even though my opencore config.plist is set to your imacpro 1,1

Could be because I just used my old serials that corresponded to a 19,1 system? because in my plist file it lists the 1,1 definition in generic.

Could be because I just used my old serials that corresponded to a 19,1 system? because in my plist file it lists the 1,1 definition in generic.

Please post your config.plist.

Update: I got rid of the error message. It was an incorrect MAC address. I took the one from my system preferences>network>advanced>hardware and that solved that issue. However, for the life of me I can't figure out why opencore still refuses to recognize my NVME drives. So the only thing left is to get that working and then make sure it will use the 1,1 system definition. Don't really care as much about that, just feel like I've kind of hit a brick wall on the NVME. My BIOS sees the drive I want to boot from, and even will preboot up to the opencore boot screen just fine, then it just disappears from existence. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• config.plist
    32.6 KB · Views: 62
Update: I got rid of the error message. It was an incorrect MAC address. I took the one from my system preferences>network>advanced>hardware and that solved that issue. However, for the life of me I can't figure out why opencore still refuses to recognize my NVME drives. So the only thing left is to get that working and then make sure it will use the 1,1 system definition. Don't really care as much about that, just feel like I've kind of hit a brick wall on the NVME. My BIOS sees the drive I want to boot from, and even will preboot up to the opencore boot screen just fine, then it just disappears from existence. Thank you for your help.

Your config.plist looks correctly set for iMacPro1,1. DRM should be working.

What make and model of NVMe SSD are you using?

Ok, so I'm an idiot. I unplugged my other drives and it booted right up from what I THOUGHT was my old clover drive, but it was actually the new one, it just kept the old one's name because I cloned the drive. It's listed in my system as the new name after it boots up, but at the boot screen it says the old one. I'm so sorry for wasting your time. It even reads the 1,1 definition correctly. I think everything is good now. If you know of a way to rename it in the plist or something so it reads correctly at startup, I'm all ears, but otherwise thank you and again, sorry for being an idiot.

Ok, so I'm an idiot. I unplugged my other drives and it booted right up from what I THOUGHT was my old clover drive, but it was actually the new one, it just kept the old one's name because I cloned the drive. It's listed in my system as the new name after it boots up, but at the boot screen it says the old one. I'm so sorry for wasting your time. It even reads the 1,1 definition correctly. I think everything is good now. If you know of a way to rename it in the plist or something so it reads correctly at startup, I'm all ears, but otherwise thank you and again, sorry for being an idiot.

Are you trying rename the drive? Just do it from Finder.

Back