Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Hi guys,
I now have the same motherboard and followed the guide and EFI folder to make it working and it looks like everything works just fine using @pastrychef 's EFI folder for clover. I used to have the Z390 Gaming X that was giving me a lot of trouble and ended up having a faulty ram slot.

Anyway I'm still having a weird issue with USB though. I use a USB soundcard (Focusrite 18i20) and i kept having small audio dropouts, i checked and the problem does not happen at all on Mojave with the same EFI folder.
I decide to use another card that I have (MOTU track 16) and the issue is not there but I still get occasional dropouts especially whenever I plug/unplug another USB. It can actually be any port that has been enabled, just plugging in a mouse will drop it and it turns out that the USB audio is not the only element that has this problem.
I use the iLok system for some of my audio plugins and plugging a USB key while the iLok was doing some maintenance on the iLok USB dongle on another port just broke the whole thing.

I haven't been able to test all of this on Mojave as I'd like to start using Catalina, but does anyone have a similar issue?

Also and maybe that's normal, but none of the USB3.1 ports seem to work... it's not even powered.

Oh and one last thing which is not really important, but the ALC audio does not seem to be covered by the EFI folder as well, I only get the HDMI audio.

I'm starting to think that maybe those EFI folders are not made for Catalina and only for Mojave.

Hi guys,
I now have the same motherboard and followed the guide and EFI folder to make it working and it looks like everything works just fine using @pastrychef 's EFI folder for clover. I used to have the Z390 Gaming X that was giving me a lot of trouble and ended up having a faulty ram slot.

Anyway i'm still having a weird issue with USB though. I use a USB soundcard (Focusrite 18i20) and i kept having small audio dropouts, i checked and the problem does not happen at all on Mojave with the same EFI folder.
I decide to use another card that i have (MOTU track 16) and the issue is not there but i still get occasional dropouts especially whenever i plug/unplug another USB. It can actually be any port that has been enabled, just plugging in a mouse will drop it and it turns out that the USB audio is not the only element that has this problem.
I use the iLok system for some of my audio plugins and plugging a USB key while the iLok was doing some maintenance on the ilok usb dongle on another port just broke the whole thing.

I haven't been able to test all of this on mojave as i'd like to start using catalina, but does anyone have a similar issue?

Also and maybe that's normal, but none of the USB3.1 ports seem to work... it's not even powered.

Oh and one last thing which is not really important, but the ALC audio does not seem to be covered by the EFI folder as well, i only get the HDMI audio.

I'm starting to think that maybe those EFI folders are not made for Catalina and only for Mojave.

For on-board audio, please try the fix here.

I've seen others report dropouts with USB audio devices even on real Macs, so I don't know if it's strictly a hackintosh issue. Since I don't have any of these devices, I never looked in to it much... Try searching around for others' experiences and fixes.

The USB 3.1 gen 2 ports should be working. What are you plugging in to test? Have you tried flipping the connecter and plugging in again?

For on-board audio, please try the fix here.
Ok i'll give it a try.

I've seen others report dropouts with USB audio devices even on real Macs, so I don't know if it's strictly a hackintosh issue. Since I don't have any of these devices, I never looked in to it much... Try searching around for others' experiences and fixes.
Yes i have seen that as well, and it seems to be related to the latest macs and some audio cards and it happens since high sierra but here the problem is different as it seems to not only drop the audio, but other devices plugged in, it happens everytime i plug in and out a USB device. It actually even froze the system once or twice.
I've seen a post about the serial port not being disabled causing problems, so i'll check that.

The USB 3.1 gen 2 ports should be working. What are you plugging in to test? Have you tried flipping the connecter and plugging in again?
Just a simple USB2 key, the one i used to install OSX. I also tried my USB mouse and my USB3 key and nothing works, my USB2 key has a blue led that does not even turn on when plugged into that port.
I don't have anything to test the USB type C plug though.

From what i read, the problem with audio cards i have can be fixed with serial port disabled in bios, but the bios F9g does not have this option anymore... So i'll try to revert back to bios F7 and see if that fixes the issue for me.

I see that some SSDT edits can disable it as well, but honestly i don't know anything about patching...

Just a simple USB2 key, the one i used to install OSX. I also tried my USB mouse and my USB3 key and nothing works, my USB2 key has a blue led that does not even turn on when plugged into that port.
I don't have anything to test the USB type C plug though.

Try a USB 3 device.

Ok yes, a USB 3 device works, is that normal? shouldn't USB 2 devices work as well?

Yes. I think I hit the 15 port limit and had to make choices.

I figured dropping USB2 support on those ports made sense since no one would waste the USB 3.1 gen 2 ports for USB2 devices.

Oh, ok, that makes sense.
I was able to downgrade the bios and to deactivate the serial port, but the serial port still shows up in the list of network.
After this i'm still getting the audio cuts when i unplug or plug an USB device.
I'll just install a fresh Mojave to see if i get the same problem. If i don't, i guess i can live with mojave for the time being.

Oh, ok, that makes sense.
I was able to downgrade the bios and to deactivate the serial port, but the serial port still shows up in the list of network.
After this i'm still getting the audio cuts when i unplug or plug an USB device.
I'll just install a fresh Mojave to see if i get the same problem. If i don't, i guess i can live with mojave for the time being.

If you used the same macOS installation and did not do a fresh install after downgrading BIOS, you will need to reset the network ports and the Serial Port should disappear.

Go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/.
Delete:
...com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist
...NetworkInterfaces.plist
...preferences.plist
Reboot.

Back