Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Gigabyte X79-UD5 F14e + EFI Boot + RX580

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on F12...do I need to upgrade to F14e to use Catalina?

The VGA in your signature is incompatible with Mojave and Catalina. You'll need to update your bios to run an AMD vga with EFI boot. I had to do it as I had an GTX 560 prior to the RX 580... Be sure to update the bios before changing the VGA.

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you think that's the reason why I can't boot the installer for Catalina?
Please see my other topic here:

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you think that's the reason why I can't boot the installer for Catalina?
Please see my other topic here:

If you want to run Mojave or Catalina you should upgrade your vga to an AMD compatible as describe in every guide in this site...

Last edited:
Hi! I don't use the wifi adapter that comes with the motherboard but I did a brief test when I build this rig changing the mini-pci express that was attached to it by an Apple one from a Mac Mini and it was recognized. Maybe you can change yours for an mac Os compatible (be aware of the size). There's a guide about bradocom wifi and bluetooth on the Network session on this forum.

Good luck!

P.S. If you have further questions/problems please open a new thread so we don't polute this one with off-topic posts...

Attachments

• 2329.jpg
    2329.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 70
Hello.
Now I work in Mac OS 10.10. Sierra (10.12.6) is running on another drive. There were problems with USB and audio, but it works now. I try to update 10.12.6 to Catalina and after rebooting I have a black screen. I ask for help in solving the problem.
CPU …………..i7-4820K
MB ……….....Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 F13w
Video ……....R9 280 (Gigabyte GV-R928WF3-3GD)

Is there any information on the compatibility of the GA-X79-UD5 F14e with the new AMD graphics cards? If I do not succeed with the launch of Catalina, then I will have to think about buying an rx 5700
Sorry for my english.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.1 KB · Views: 82
  • kexts.zip
    824.7 KB · Views: 103
Hey @bru3 !

I always had a bit of instability with my build and I thought it could be the BIOS (F12).

I did the update to the 14e but Im unable to boot into macOS (March Reboot kernel panic).

Do you mind to share your EFI folder so I can try it?

Cheers!

Hi rafam.
Sorry for the late reply.
In the meantime I turned my back on OSX because I don't like where the OS is going.
I have been on Kubuntu for a few months now, and I will not return to OSX.
As I've read, I've managed to boot Catalina. So I think you don't need my EFI folder anymore. Correct?
All the necessary parts should be documented in the first post. If any information is missing please tell me.

Cheers Bru3

Hi guys, I have this same board with High Sierra, my question is this, which system do Mojave or Catalina recommend for me? Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Hi guys, I have this same board with High Sierra, my question is this, which system do Mojave or Catalina recommend for me? Thanks for the help
Your GPU is unsupported by both.

Su GPU no es compatible con ambos.
thanks friend for your answer ... this I know, I will change to an amd 580, I will update bios f14e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back