Gigabyte X79-UD5
CPU
i7-3930K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Years have passed since my last post.
This week I finally found time to update my old system.

Due to the known GTX 660 Ti Glitch problem from High Sierra my system was upgraded with a Radeon RX580 4GB.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gtx-660-glitch-issue-with-macos-high-sierra-10-13.233101/

The BIOS firmware X79-UD5 I have upgraded to version F14e so that EFI boot was possible.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ga-x79-ud5-update-f13w-bios-settings.116089/

Firmware Upgrade to F14e:

I used a DOS boot stick to flash the F14e into the main BIOS. After checking that everything worked, I copied the firmware from Main to Backup, pressing Alt+F10 during the boot process.

After the update I changed clover to boot via EFI (not legacy boot) so that Clover can boot from EFI Boot OSX Sierra to Mojave.

First I had to solve som EFI related problems:
  • AptioMemoryFix.efi is nessesary to fix a memory related efi problem
  • Other drivers I've installed:
    • ApfsDriverLoader.efi
    • DataHubDxe.efi
    • FSInject-64.efi
    • HFSPlus.efi
    • NTFS.efi (for Windows)
    • SMCHelper.efi
Second I had to solve the kernel panic problem that occurred after the firmware update:
  • VoodooTSCSync.kext was needed to support my CPU "Intel Core i7 3930K".
    • Alternatively you have to boot with cpus=1.
  • AppleIntelCPUPM must be activated in Clover.
    • Alternatively NullCPUPowerManagement.kext has to be installed.
Change from GTX 660 Ti to RX580 4GB
  • Added Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext
  • Added flag to Clover: RadeonDeInit
  • No deactivation of the Nvidia drivers was necessary, because the native Nvidia drivers of osx were used until now.
Other stuff I have installed (adopted from my old setup)
For the sake of completeness:
  • i7_3930K_SSDT.aml
  • USB_and_AUDIO_SSDT.aml
  • AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext
  • AppleIntelE1000e.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • GenericUSBXHCI.kext
  • realtekALC.kext (for auto switching between SPDIF and Headphones
  • audio_cloverALC-130_v0.6.command
Cheers Bru3

Attachments

• i7_3930K_SSDT.aml
    2.1 KB · Views: 284
  • USB_and_AUDIO_SSDT.aml
    2.2 KB · Views: 238
Hello thank you for the info.
But where can I download F14e bios?

Hello thank you for the info.
But where can I download F14e bios?

Hey @bru3 !

I always had a bit of instability with my build and I thought it could be the BIOS (F12).

I did the update to the 14e but Im unable to boot into macOS (March Reboot kernel panic).

Do you mind to share your EFI folder so I can try it?

Cheers!

Hey guys, I need some help. I really need to get that newer bios and Tweaktown seems down. Could someone please pm me or post the bios as an attachment here? Long story short I am reviving this older model to a newer Mac OS, and I bought an RX580 which will not load without the newer bios as far as I can tell. I appreciate any help. Take care!

Hey guys, I need some help. I really need to get that newer bios and Tweaktown seems down. Could someone please pm me or post the bios as an attachment here? Long story short I am reviving this older model to a newer Mac OS, and I bought an RX580 which will not load without the newer bios as far as I can tell. I appreciate any help. Take care!

Hi! Here it's.

Keep in mind this is a beta Bios and you can't flash it with QFlash on the bios (I had to use the Gigabyte Flash Utility for Windows 10).

Also I had to use @bru3 SSDTs to properly boot on Mac OS.

I'll suggest to flash it to the "B" Bios first and if everything works you can flash it to the "M" bios.

Good luck!

Cheers

Attachments

• X79UD5_BIOS_14e.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 314
Hi! Here it's.

Keep in mind this is a beta Bios and you can't flash it with QFlash on the bios (I had to use the Gigabyte Flash Utility for Windows 10).

Also I had to use @bru3 SSDTs to properly boot on Mac OS.

I'll suggest to flash it to the "B" Bios first and if everything works you can flash it to the "M" bios.

Good luck!

Cheers
Thanks for the help. Will do!!

Last edited:
Wanted to bump this thread as I am looking to go to Catalina. Has anyone tried this yet? And if so what procedures differ from the above poster? Thanks and hope everyone has a great Holiday Season!

Wanted to bump this thread as I am looking to go to Catalina. Has anyone tried this yet? And if so what procedures differ from the above poster? Thanks and hope everyone has a great Holiday Season!

I did upgraded to Catalina as a "normal" mac. But I decided to roll back to Mojave as I think it's more "mature" OS.

I would suggest you to try in a secondary disk before compromise your Mojave drive.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back