Contribute
Register

Gigabyte TRX40 Designare AMD Threadripper 3960

Im getting a 6900 soon

Hey I got the same mobo and a 3970. Having a hard time installing both Big Sur and Monterey. Freezes at 12 minutes remaining and reboots... Did y'all hit that hurdle?
same freezes at 12 min installing.. did you find a solution? thank you

@alainw

Here is my EFI OpenCore 0.8.7 working perfectly under Ventura and Monterey.

1) Delete the .AML files concerning Thunderbolt if you are not using the card in ACPI.
2) You will need to change the values of MmioWhitelist. (My Bios version is FD)
3) Delete the DevicesProperties and replace with your values.
4) Replace with your cores values in the first 2 patches algrey - Force cpuid_cores_per_package in Kernel/Patch
5) Replace values for ram or remove values and set custom automatic to True in PlatformInfo
6) Fill the SMBIOS with your values.

NOTE: Intel210 ethernet no longer works even with latest version AppleIGB running under Ventura for Intel 211 etc...

I strongly advise you to disable the Lan ports in the bios or disable the ethernet ports in system preferences because otherwise it's serial Panic kernels....

The wifi, Airport, Bluetooth works. The kexts are installed.

Attachments

• EFI GIGABYTE TRx40.zip
    32 MB · Views: 37
Reactions: GDS
hello @Arrakis
thank you for the EFI
i am still on Big Sur and would like to make a jump to Ventura

i have some few questions for you:
1/ I know the ethernet will not work but did u install a RTL8125 to have lan?

2/ my audio is ALC4050H (as yours) do you have troubles with it?
i have to use often (sudo kill -9 `ps -A | grep -Fa 'sbin/coreaudiod' | head -n 1 | awk '{print $1}'` on terminal) to kill the plops and clics which can happen
i don't know where it comes from and I would be very interested to find someone who doesn't have pb with the audio ... I am using an apogee duet II bu USB and still have troubles

3/ so far I have a RADEON VII as primary
and bought a 6900XTXH (GIGABYTE GV-R69XTAORUSX WB-16GD)
is it easy to work with 2 graphic cards on same system (as you did) or better to sell the VII

thank you

Issue 1
Since BigSur, I no longer use the INTEL I210 module integrated into the motherboard.
I bought a 2.5 GB USB-C to Ethernet adapter. it's plug and play it's recognized from the start of the PC.
I know, this solution is stupid when there are ethernet ports on the motherboard but I am very satisfied.
I sometimes send large video files of 300 GB and no cuts and the advantage of no longer depending on kext more or less updated according to the evolution of the OS. Currently I am Ventura 13.4 and it works without worrying about it.

Issue 2

I can not answer.
I do video post-production and therefore the sound comes out through my Blackmagic Video interface connected to a home cinema. I have no click problem....

Issue 3

I have two graphics cards in my case.
AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 16 GB and AMD Radeon Pro W6800 32 GB.
They are both blower type.
The hot air exits from the back of the card directly outside the case.

My main working tool is DaVinci Resolve and I use the two cards as follows:
AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 16GB just serves me for software GUI on two screens.
AMD Radeon Pro W6800 32 GB serves me as a calculation unit only in GPU.
If I use both in GPU and interface, the most powerful card (AMD Radeon Pro W6800 32 GB) will align with the weakest in terms of power so in my case AMD Radeon Pro W6800 32 GB operating at 45% his power.
Card power does not stack.

In your configuration, your cards are of the classic type, they stir the air inside the box.
the ventilation of the case is responsible for extracting the hot air.
If you use both cards (GPU) at the same time with Resolve, for example, it may be too hot in the case. Because the air is not directly ejected outside the case.

As an indication when
the AMD Radeon Pro W6800 32 GB is used at 100% of these capacities after 10 min, they oscillate in 100 ° - 105 Celsius
AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 16 GB is used at 100% of these capacities after 10 min, they oscillate in 80 ° - 84 ° Celsius

Your cards have roughly the same generation gap as mine.

I strongly advise you to sell or keep your Radeon VII in a corner.

Reactions: GDS
Thx a lot Arrakis
happy to know that ventura and davinci works well on hakintosh
i guess we use our workstation on same purposes but semi-pro concerning my business

about issue 1:
didnt think about it and it is clever

about issue 3:
i should specify that all my system is watercooled on EKWB and never ever had problems on throttle (for example my 3970X at full rendering never go above 65C in summer)

I guess i will use it as you do, Radeon VII as Gui and 6900XT as calculation (using the radeon VII alone on driving my 2 screens (DELL U3223QE) pretty weird sometimes: lot of lags

i need to analyze your efi and see if it can fit to my rig

PS: i thought that software optimized for metal will benefit to leave the 2 different cards in same computer...

thank you again

@GDS And here is my EFI for only Ventura 13.4

Do not forget to change the number of cores concerned by your processor and add your values in PlatformInfo, MmioWhitelist,DeviceProperties, CustomMemory etc…

Attachments

• REF EFI 0.9.2 VENTURA USB C BIOS FD WX 9100 ET W6800 ARRAKIS.zip
    32.2 MB · Views: 33
thx a lot Arrakis
very helpful

PS: i am thinking to go to a dual 6900XT instead of a mix 6900XT + VII
would be better

@GDS And here is my EFI for only Ventura 13.4

Do not forget to change the number of cores concerned by your processor and add your values in PlatformInfo, MmioWhitelist,DeviceProperties, CustomMemory etc…
ahhh thanks for this... I was about to install Ventura on another drive.

Back