Contribute
Register

Gigabyte P55W V7 Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking at getting this laptop but trying to pre-purchase check osx compatibility has been difficult, I'm excited to hear you're on your way!
How is it going for you?
Are you using the nvidia gfx? I'm hoping the osx pascal drivers work, but worry about the laptop supporting optimus?
How about wifi/bt, I believe it's got the intel 8260 so won't work without replacement?
Ethernet's a realtek... is it working?
Did you get the power managment going?

Cheers!

Ethernet works
Wifi does not (laptop is still under warranty, i am using a TP-Link usb wifi adapter in the meantime)
Intel HD Graphics works (use rehabmans kexts)
Nvidia Graphics fails to load the driver, I think because it does not recognise the device ID, still working on that.
Power management works using solution in this thread
Battery status - haven't tried this yet but involves working with DSDT.
Trackpad works, used rehabman's kexts for this. Don't skip the part about loading the daemon. Trackpad seemed to stop working after sleep until i installed this.

Last edited:
Now that Kaby Lake support is native, I have re-visited getting this to work, but still have a few niggles to iron out.

To get to the same point as me:

• I installed clover into the Windows 10 EFI and set it to be first boot priority Easy UEFI. Plenty of guides out there on this, but will recommend using Explorer ++ to work with the EFI partition in Windows. Make sure you run it with administrator privileges.
  • Use rehabman's Laptop clover config. Remove the Fake ID's from it for the CPU since its now native.
  • Remove Inject Intel from clover config, again it's now native. This will make your Intel card properly recognised.
  • Geforce drivers work, make sure you add EmuVariableUefi-64 to clover kexts before enabling latest web driver.
  • Get the trackpad working with Rehabmans VoodoPS2. Don't skip the bit about installing the daemon.
  • Use the usual kexts to get clover running + lilu + intel & nvidia graphics fixup. I have rehab mans hdmi audio kext extension install for pciid kext, but im not sure if it's needed for my sound card.
  • Set the new SMBIOS for the new Kaby Lake macbook with touchbar. You can do this with most recent version of Clover Configurator.

Now for the niggles.

Sound

Going by the device ID from IOReg, I think this laptop has an ALC256 onboard sound. After trying dozens of suggestions, I still cant get it to work. I may resintall osx and try again because I am not 100% sure my AppleHDA is 100& vanilla, although it should be due to doing the software update for native Kaby Lake support. Anyone know a fool proof way to get this working? Would like to avoid hacky texts or stuff like Voodoo.

Trackpad

I have the laptop dual booting between Windows 10 and Sierra. If i boot into windows 10 from cold then reboot into sierra, after login, the keyboard and mouse go nuts. Its like all the keys are being pressed and mouse pointer shoots all over the place. Its very difficult to shut the machine down safely. I have to turn the power button off. If i then boot back into sierra, the track pad is dead. I have to plug a mouse in. Booting from cold straight to seirra doesnt do this. Something to do with booting to Win 10 first upsets it when i subsequently boot to sierra. @RehabMan - Any ideas why this is?

Graphics

The web drivers load fine, and the Nvidia card looks ok in Ioreg, properly recognised and everything. It's a Geforce 1060, but the machine also has Intel 630. I have disabled graphics accelleration in bios, but the Intel card still shows in about this mac. I have not tried games so haven't used the Geforce for sure, but i have installed Cinebench. I was expecting be able to choose between intel and Nvidia to run the bench mark on but it seems to only allow the Intel graphics. How do i get it to use the Nvidia as the primary card?

This laptop is so close to fully working, would love to solve these issues before i move onto getting the battery status working.

Any advice on the niggles above would be most welcome.

Last edited:
Now that Kaby Lake support is native, I have re-visited getting this to work, but still have a few niggles to iron out.

To get to the same point as me:

• I installed clover into the Windows 10 EFI and set it to be first boot priority Easy UEFI. Plenty of guides out there on this, but will recommend using Explorer ++ to work with the EFI partition in Windows. Make sure you run it with administrator privileges.
  • Use rehabman's Laptop clover config. Remove the Fake ID's from it for the CPU since its now native.
  • Remove Inject Intel from clover config, again it's now native. This will make your Intel card properly recognised.
  • Geforce drivers work, make sure you add EmuVariableUefi-64 to clover kexts before enabling latest web driver.
  • Get the trackpad working with Rehabmans VoodoPS2. Don't skip the bit about installing the daemon.
  • Use the usual kexts to get clover running + lilu + intel & nvidia graphics fixup. I have rehab mans hdmi audio kext extension install for pciid kext, but im not sure if it's needed for my sound card.
  • Set the new SMBIOS for the new Kaby Lake macbook with touchbar. You can do this with most recent version of Clover Configurator.

Now for the niggles.

Sound

Going by the device ID from IOReg, I think this laptop has an ALC256 onboard sound. After trying dozens of suggestions, I still cant get it to work. I may resintall osx and try again because I am not 100% sure my AppleHDA is 100& vanilla, although it should be due to doing the software update for native Kaby Lake support. Anyone know a fool proof way to get this working? Would like to avoid hacky texts or stuff like Voodoo.

Trackpad

I have the laptop dual booting between Windows 10 and Sierra. If i boot into windows 10 from cold then reboot into sierra, after login, the keyboard and mouse go nuts. Its like all the keys are being pressed and mouse pointer shoots all over the place. Its very difficult to shut the machine down safely. I have to turn the power button off. If i then boot back into sierra, the track pad is dead. I have to plug a mouse in. Booting from cold straight to seirra doesnt do this. Something to do with booting to Win 10 first upsets it when i subsequently boot to sierra. @RehabMan - Any ideas why this is?

Graphics

The web drivers load fine, and the Nvidia card looks ok in Ioreg, properly recognised and everything. It's a Geforce 1060, but the machine also has Intel 630. I have disabled graphics accelleration in bios, but the Intel card still shows in about this mac. I have not tried games so haven't used the Geforce for sure, but i have installed Cinebench. I was expecting be able to choose between intel and Nvidia to run the bench mark on but it seems to only allow the Intel graphics. How do i get it to use the Nvidia as the primary card?

This laptop is so close to fully working, would love to solve these issues before i move onto getting the battery status working.

Any advice on the niggles above would be most welcome.
you may only be able to use your Intel Graphics

you may want to think about disabling the Nvidia to save power etc:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-disabling-discrete-graphics-in-dual-gpu-laptops.163772/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back