7th Gen Intel Core i7-7700HQ
Graphics
NVIDIA GTX 1060 GDDR5 6GB
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello :)

I am today attempting to install OSX on a Gigabyte P55W V7 Laptop. (http://uk.gigabyte.com/Laptop/P55W-v7#sp)

I've built numerous hackingtoshes since Tiger (yeah, i'm old!) but this is my first laptop hack. Can anyone give me any pointers to anything that might be problematic with the spec? I am aware i need to spoof the CPU ID since this is a Kaby Lake Machine. Other then that, is there anything to trip me up?

Happy to post a full guide if I get it going :)

Hello :)

I am today attempting to install OSX on a Gigabyte P55W V7 Laptop. (http://uk.gigabyte.com/Laptop/P55W-v7#sp)

I've built numerous hackingtoshes since Tiger (yeah, i'm old!) but this is my first laptop hack. Can anyone give me any pointers to anything that might be problematic with the spec? I am aware i need to spoof the CPU ID since this is a Kaby Lake Machine. Other then that, is there anything to trip me up?

Happy to post a full guide if I get it going :)

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Thanks RehabMan. I probably should have said I have a vanilla install of Clover (not unibeast, this was a manual install using very latest Clover from sourceforge). Ive installed this into the Windows 10 EFI partition and its already booting windows 10 and ubuntu just fine. It also picks up the USB stick with the Sierra Installation files. When i boot it, i get a warning that its not supported on this platform.... so i need to spoof the CPU id to get past that im guessing? Not sure how but Google will help me :)

Thanks RehabMan. I probably should have said I have a vanilla install of Clover (not unibeast, this was a manual install using very latest Clover from sourceforge). Ive installed this into the Windows 10 EFI partition and its already booting windows 10 and ubuntu just fine. It also picks up the USB stick with the Sierra Installation files. When i boot it, i get a warning that its not supported on this platform.... so i need to spoof the CPU id to get past that im guessing? Not sure how but Google will help me :)

Read the guide. It has correct config.plist, and information about correct drivers64UEFI and kexts configuration.

Sure I'm reading it, it's just a very very long read! Thanks :)

Got the base install done. Used Vanilla install of Clover on USB stick, used Rehabman IntelHD620 plist. Went through to install no problem. Now I need to get as much hardware as possible working. First on the list is the keyboard and trackpad do not work.... I'm guessing VoodooPS2 will sort that.... report back later...

Got the base install done. Used Vanilla install of Clover on USB stick, used Rehabman IntelHD620 plist. Went through to install no problem. Now I need to get as much hardware as possible working. First on the list is the keyboard and trackpad do not work.... I'm guessing VoodooPS2 will sort that.... report back later...
The best thing is to put essential kexts like VoodooPS2Controller.kext, FakeSMC.kext, your ethernet kext and maybe SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext ( only when you need it ) in EFI/Clover/kexts/other.
Because this kexts need your computer to get the basic things working and when you update the version of mac OS you can use your keyboard, trackpad and ethernet instantly.

The best thing is to put essential kexts like VoodooPS2Controller.kext, FakeSMC.kext, your ethernet kext and maybe SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext ( only when you need it ) in EFI/Clover/kexts/other.
Because this kexts need your computer to get the basic things working and when you update the version of mac OS you can use your keyboard, trackpad and ethernet instantly.

Thanks, I have already got that all sorted. I have Sierra dual booting with Windows 10.

The only thing left is to get the battery status and power management working which I think means messing about with DSDT.

Thanks, I have already got that all sorted. I have Sierra dual booting with Windows 10.

The only thing left is to get the battery status and power management working which I think means messing about with DSDT.

I've been looking at getting this laptop but trying to pre-purchase check osx compatibility has been difficult, I'm excited to hear you're on your way!
How is it going for you?
Are you using the nvidia gfx? I'm hoping the osx pascal drivers work, but worry about the laptop supporting optimus?
How about wifi/bt, I believe it's got the intel 8260 so won't work without replacement?
Ethernet's a realtek... is it working?
Did you get the power managment going?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back