Contribute
Register

Gigabyte P35W V3 Clover Installation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE:

I partitioned the SSD with a live version of gparted on Ubuntu. After that the Windows 8.1 installation went throught smoothly and everything works fine.
But now I can't install OSX. When I boot into the installer with the USB Stick I can't choose the HFS+ Partition I made with gparted to install on. When I go into disk utility to check and repair it, it says everything is fine. But I can't even erase the partition to reformat it. It jsut says Mediakit reports not enough space. I tried activating journaling for the partition, since I read that could do something. BUt nothing seems to work.

It a bit of a vicious circle. When I get OSX installed, I can't get Windows installed, and when I get Windows installed, OSX doesn't want to get installed. :D

Any suggestions?

UPDATE:

I partitioned the SSD with a live version of gparted on Ubuntu. After that the Windows 8.1 installation went throught smoothly and everything works fine.

Yes, gparted creates pure GPT.

But now I can't install OSX. When I boot into the installer with the USB Stick I can't choose the HFS+ Partition I made with gparted to install on. When I go into disk utility to check and repair it, it says everything is fine. But I can't even erase the partition to reformat it. It jsut says Mediakit reports not enough space. I tried activating journaling for the partition, since I read that could do something. BUt nothing seems to work.

OS X is not well behaved with disks partitioned by other than OS X Disk Utility, but there are things you can check/do.

See this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html

I started from scratch once again.
- Partitioned the SSD with gparted (GPT) with two partitions, first one NTFS for Windows, second one HFS+ for Mac
- went through the Mac installation since I thought Yosemite would make its own EFI partition which would also work for Windows since it doesn't work the other way around, had to erase the Mac partition before installing so that it would really be Mac OS Extended Journaled (activating Journaling didn't cut it)
- after the installation I rebooted with the Usb and installed Clover and some kexts
- then I installed Windows 8.1, it went through until it came to the Restart Screen, I pressed Enter to restart

And since then I couldn't get the Laptop to boot again or to go into the Bios for that matter. It is just once again a black lit up screen and no matter what keys I press, nothing happens.
I already removed the battery and pressed the power button for 30 seconds. Swapped the slot of the SSD - nothing.
Maybe someone here can make sense of this interesting development. :)

I started from scratch once again.
- Partitioned the SSD with gparted (GPT) with two partitions, first one NTFS for Windows, second one HFS+ for Mac
- went through the Mac installation since I thought Yosemite would make its own EFI partition which would also work for Windows since it doesn't work the other way around, had to erase the Mac partition before installing so that it would really be Mac OS Extended Journaled (activating Journaling didn't cut it)
- after the installation I rebooted with the Usb and installed Clover and some kexts
- then I installed Windows 8.1, it went through until it came to the Restart Screen, I pressed Enter to restart

And since then I couldn't get the Laptop to boot again or to go into the Bios for that matter. It is just once again a black lit up screen and no matter what keys I press, nothing happens.
I already removed the battery and pressed the power button for 30 seconds. Swapped the slot of the SSD - nothing.
Maybe someone here can make sense of this interesting development. :)

Do not create Windows partitions within Disk Utility. Doing so will create MBR/GPT hybrid. You need pure GPT for Windows UEFI install.

I did not create the Windows Partition in disk utility. It was created in gparted and then never touched again. :)
But this problem now solved itself, I don't know what it was, but I could boot now into Windows and install all drivers and stuff no problem.
Since I already installed clover in Yosemite, when I installed OSX (before the Windows installation) I thought, now it should work. But when booting in BIOS menu I can only select "Windows Boot Manager" on the SSD. When I select the SSD itself it just shows a black screen with a "-".
I think the Windows Boot manager screwed up clover a bit, or am I mistaken? I booted from the clover USB into Yosemite again and tried reinstalling clover. Still no change. Should I delete the Windows Boot Manager in some way? And if yes - how would be the best way?

Thank you one again for all the help and tips you have given me RehabMan, you're the best! :)

I did not create the Windows Partition in disk utility. It was created in gparted and then never touched again. :)
But this problem now solved itself, I don't know what it was, but I could boot now into Windows and install all drivers and stuff no problem.
Since I already installed clover in Yosemite, when I installed OSX (before the Windows installation) I thought, now it should work. But when booting in BIOS menu I can only select "Windows Boot Manager" on the SSD. When I select the SSD itself it just shows a black screen with a "-".
I think the Windows Boot manager screwed up clover a bit, or am I mistaken? I booted from the clover USB into Yosemite again and tried reinstalling clover. Still no change. Should I delete the Windows Boot Manager in some way? And if yes - how would be the best way?

Thank you one again for all the help and tips you have given me RehabMan, you're the best! :)

Add custom boot entry to BIOS for Clover.

How would I go about doing this?
In the BIOS Settings I see two Windows Boot Manager Partitions (one is apparently the Recovery partition and one loads Windows 8.1 normally). Then there is a "Mac OS X" Partition but when I boot from this partition, nothing happens.
Do I have to manually activate the EFI Partition in any way? In gparted it already has the Boot set.

Attachments

• gparted.png
    gparted.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 97
  • WP_20150725_12_21_46_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150725_12_21_46_Pro.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 88
  • WP_20150725_12_21_52_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150725_12_21_52_Pro.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 64
Have you tried selecting the blank space directly below OSX in your screen shot? Or is it not selectable? On mine, Clover shows up as a "UEFI OS" (photo attached), but I used separate SSDs for WIN/OSX. Anyway, just a thought. The bios is very limited unfortunately.

Attachments

• 20150725_064554.jpg
    20150725_064554.jpg
    891.5 KB · Views: 65
Hi jhax01,

thanks for your reply. :)
Unfortunately nothing happens, when I select the empty slot in the BIOS Boot screen. I don't know, what that is. It just shows a "-" which travels down a few lines.

I think now, that two seperate SSDs would have been a much better idea, but the 512 GB SSD was much cheaper than two seperate 256GB SSDs, so I went with this one. Maybe I'll buy an additional one in the future, but for now, this has to suffice. It should be possible to boot from one drive I thought, but my laptop seems to resist as hard as it can. :D

I see you have the P35X V3. :) Since our laptops both have very simliar chipsets I think, maybe you could also tell me, what you did to get audio to work? That would be so great! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back