Asus GTX 780
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
Hi at all,

I recently bought the Gigabyte P35W V3 for using it as a mobile working machine (3D, Game Development, Motion Graphics) on Windows. For making Music I use Logic and I would like to continue using it by installing Yosemite in Dual Boot with Windows on this Laptop. I know that the Graphics Card won't work on OSX since it uses Optimus technology, but I don't care. For Logic and making music, I think the Intel HD should suffice.

I'v looked at different threads in different forums and tried variable possibilities. But I always seem to make a mistake.
As I was reading through some of the forums I first read about clover and the advantages of using it. So I tried making a bootable USB Stick for my laptop with it.

I used the "createinstallationmedia" method to Copy the Installer to the stick. Then I installed Clover with "Install for UEFI Booting only", "install clover in the esp", "Drivers64Uefi->OsxAptioFixDrv-64" and "Install RC scripts on target volume".
I found a thread on another forum, where someone installed Yosemite on the older Version of this laptop P35W V2 (link: http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8102-gigabyte-p35w-v2/). I tried to copy almost everything, because the hardware aside form the Graphics Card seemed to be the same.
In the clover Configurator I used the following steps:
In ACPI: Uncheck "FixAirport"
In Boot: Check "kext-dev-mode=1" and "nv_disable=1"
In Install Drivers: delete VBoxHFS, install HFSPlus UEFI
In Kernel and kexts: I checked "Haswell-E" since I thought that would fix the Haswell Reboot issue

When I try to boot from the stick using UEFI, I get to the Clover menu screen. When I then try to boot into the installation, I see the Apple Logo for a few seconds and then the laptop restarts. Sounds to me like the issue with Yosemite and Haswell Processors I read about. But none of the fixes I tried, seemed to help. I hope, I'm doing something wrong. :)

I've uploaded two images from the boot args I'm using and the screen I get, booting in Verbose mode.

I hope, somebody knows what I am doing wrong and I'm just being stupid. :D I hope it's not the laptop being uncompatible.
Thanks in advance, guys!

Attachments

• WP_20150718_07_59_14_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150718_07_59_14_Pro.jpg
    780.7 KB · Views: 86
  • WP_20150718_07_59_24_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150718_07_59_24_Pro.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 120
Hi at all,

I recently bought the Gigabyte P35W V3 for using it as a mobile working machine (3D, Game Development, Motion Graphics) on Windows. For making Music I use Logic and I would like to continue using it by installing Yosemite in Dual Boot with Windows on this Laptop. I know that the Graphics Card won't work on OSX since it uses Optimus technology, but I don't care. For Logic and making music, I think the Intel HD should suffice.

I'v looked at different threads in different forums and tried variable possibilities. But I always seem to make a mistake.
As I was reading through some of the forums I first read about clover and the advantages of using it. So I tried making a bootable USB Stick for my laptop with it.

I used the "createinstallationmedia" method to Copy the Installer to the stick. Then I installed Clover with "Install for UEFI Booting only", "install clover in the esp", "Drivers64Uefi->OsxAptioFixDrv-64" and "Install RC scripts on target volume".

"Install RC scripts..." is only for HDD install, not USB.

I found a thread on another forum, where someone installed Yosemite on the older Version of this laptop P35W V2 (link: http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8102-gigabyte-p35w-v2/). I tried to copy almost everything, because the hardware aside form the Graphics Card seemed to be the same.
In the clover Configurator I used the following steps:
In ACPI: Uncheck "FixAirport"
In Boot: Check "kext-dev-mode=1" and "nv_disable=1"
In Install Drivers: delete VBoxHFS, install HFSPlus UEFI
In Kernel and kexts: I checked "Haswell-E" since I thought that would fix the Haswell Reboot issue

Your CPU is not Haswell-E.

Follow guide here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html

Thank you, RehabMan, for your Reply!

Before I read your post, I managed to get to the Yosemite installation screen using the Unibeast method, but since then I couldn't get it to boot, with Unibeast or Clover even using the same boot arguments.

So I wanted to try again from scratch with Clover.
I followed your guide and made a bootable USB Stick using Clover and the createinstallmedia method. For the Config.plist I used your "config_HD4600_4400_4200.plist", since the Laptop has an Intel HD4600 Graphics Card, which I intend to use.
The Nvidia 970M Card was disabled in BIOS (Disable 3D Graphics Acceleration) and in the config.plist it was already set to "nvdisable=1".
I deleted all the Folders in EFI/Clover/kexts/ apart from "Other" where I put some Kexts in (Fake SMC, VoodooPS2Controller, GenericUSBXHCI.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement, RealtekRTL8111, ApplePS2SmartTouchpad).

I still can't get to the Login or Installation Screen. What I get using the verbose mode, ist the drivers listing up, everything seems to be ok. Then I see the Apple logo for 2 seconds, it disappears and the Laptop restarts. Booting with safe mode it's the same thing, only it gets a little bit faster to the Apple Logo (because it doesn't load all the kexts maybe?).

I really am in a scrape here, since I bought this laptop new, wanting to try to test, if Yosemite would run on it. If not, I would have to send it back in two weeks.
I think, I'm only scratching the surface of understanding whats going on with the Bootloader, Kexts, config.plist and all this stuff, but it seems, I'm just one step away from getting it to work. Just this one step is really hard. :D

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me! :)

Thank you, RehabMan, for your Reply!

Before I read your post, I managed to get to the Yosemite installation screen using the Unibeast method, but since then I couldn't get it to boot, with Unibeast or Clover even using the same boot arguments.

So I wanted to try again from scratch with Clover.
I followed your guide and made a bootable USB Stick using Clover and the createinstallmedia method. For the Config.plist I used your "config_HD4600_4400_4200.plist", since the Laptop has an Intel HD4600 Graphics Card, which I intend to use.
The Nvidia 970M Card was disabled in BIOS (Disable 3D Graphics Acceleration) and in the config.plist it was already set to "nvdisable=1".
I deleted all the Folders in EFI/Clover/kexts/ apart from "Other" where I put some Kexts in (Fake SMC, VoodooPS2Controller, GenericUSBXHCI.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement, RealtekRTL8111, ApplePS2SmartTouchpad).

I still can't get to the Login or Installation Screen. What I get using the verbose mode, ist the drivers listing up, everything seems to be ok. Then I see the Apple logo for 2 seconds, it disappears and the Laptop restarts. Booting with safe mode it's the same thing, only it gets a little bit faster to the Apple Logo (because it doesn't load all the kexts maybe?).

I really am in a scrape here, since I bought this laptop new, wanting to try to test, if Yosemite would run on it. If not, I would have to send it back in two weeks.
I think, I'm only scratching the surface of understanding whats going on with the Bootloader, Kexts, config.plist and all this stuff, but it seems, I'm just one step away from getting it to work. Just this one step is really hard. :D

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me! :)

Post EFI/Clover folder you're using. Sounds like you didn't download/copy config.plist correctly.

Thanks for the quick answer!

I've attached the CLOVER Folder as a ZIP File to this post.
I downloaded the config.plist form the link you provided. On the GitHub site I right-clicked on "RAW" and save file as.
After I copied the file to the USB Stick I was able to open it with Clover Configurator to check, what settings were set. But maybe there is still something wrong with it? I hope, it's that. :D

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 54
Thanks for the quick answer!

I've attached the CLOVER Folder as a ZIP File to this post.
I downloaded the config.plist form the link you provided. On the GitHub site I right-clicked on "RAW" and save file as.
After I copied the file to the USB Stick I was able to open it with Clover Configurator to check, what settings were set. But maybe there is still something wrong with it? I hope, it's that. :D

The config.plist is not from my repo (it has been modified).

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is not needed and should not be present in CLOVER/kexts/Other.

Try also without GenericUSBXHCI.kext. With newer machines, most of the time it is not needed.

Better to go without FakeSMC plugins.

Make the corrections, and boot verbose, show photo...

It was to fast to take a picture, but I could read some of the last lines.

It comes to this line: NVDAStartup: Official
hmm.. mismatch sizes: 3100 vs 20
NVDA: disabled by nv_disable=1 boot-arg

Then two lines, that were gone, before I could read them. Then the Apple Logo again for 2 Seconds and now a black screen with the Laptop still running. :(

It was to fast to take a picture, but I could read some of the last lines.

It comes to this line: NVDAStartup: Official
hmm.. mismatch sizes: 3100 vs 20

Then two lines, that were gone, before I could read them. Then the Apple Logo again for 2 Seconds and now a black screen with the Laptop still running. :(

Set config.plist/Graphics/Inject/Intel=false to take graphics problems out of the equation.

Deal with graphics later.

Note: Be patient. Booting the Yosemite installer is not quick. A temporary black screen is normal. You may not be waiting long enough.

That actually worked. Thank you! :)
I got through the installer and now I'm in my freshly booted Yosemite installation. Thank you so much! :)

There seem to be graphics problems but that was to be expected I think. The Touchpad also doesn't work Now I just have to do the right configuration to install clover on the hard drive with working graphics and everything.

Are there any tips on how to get the Intel HD 4600 graphics to work, since the options from the guide didn't seem to work with the USB?

That actually worked. Thank you! :)
I got through the installer and now I'm in my freshly booted Yosemite installation. Thank you so much! :)

There seem to be graphics problems but that was to be expected I think. The Touchpad also doesn't work Now I just have to do the right configuration to install clover on the hard drive with working graphics and everything.

Are there any tips on how to get the Intel HD 4600 graphics to work, since the options from the guide didn't seem to work with the USB?

You're going to have to determine what is wrong with Graphics/Inject/Intel=true.

Maybe it is a BIOS setting issue, maybe you had an external monitor connected (HDMI sometimes causes KP until you implement HDMI audio properly), maybe you need a different ig-platform-id...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back