Contribute
Register

Gigabyte is working on UEFI-BIOS for Z68 & P67 (no 3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confirmed to work with my GIGABYTE z68x-UDH3-B3 version 1.0.

UEFI Bios version U1h(UEFI BIOS).

1. I used files here to create a bootable DOS USB drive. You can follow the these instructions:

http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm

2. Download the z68x-UDH3-B3 version 1.0 or 1.3 UEFI bios depending on your motherboard version: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3853#bios
Extract the downloaded .exe bios to the USB thumb drive that you formatted.

3. Restart with the USB drive plugged in. It should automatically start the bios erase/write process. I've included some screenshots below:

4. Once you power on your PC, you'll need to set your SATA Mode Selection to AHCI. You can also hit the F7 key to load optimized settings.

5. Hit the F10 key to save and exit. You should be able to boot OS X after that.

Attachments

• IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,447
  • IMG_0980.JPG
    IMG_0980.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 3,570
  • IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 530
  • IMG_0977.JPG
    IMG_0977.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 422
  • IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 399
Running 10.7.3 with GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (rev 1.0) and i5 2500k and HD3000 and I just took the plunge as well. Deleted DSDT and SSDT and all works well. Upped the VRAM to 512 MB (couldnt do that with the F12 bios). Had occasional crashes while watching youtube clips before.. haven't diagnosed this issue yet. Pretty much forgotten all the stuff I've done prior to UEFI (regarding edits and so forth) but it booted without issues and manual sleep is working and so is usb/ethernet after wake. Audio seems to be working as well. Taskbar is translucent so QE/CI is working. Not really sure about the rest though.

Any stuff I should be aware of without DSDT/SSDT?

As someone mentioned earlier, for the the dual booters out there, Windows will go spastic when you do this and re-detect all he hardware in the system, because as far as Windows is concerned, you've just installed a new motherboard. It might require a couple of re-boots and maybe even a re-activation of Windows in a worst case scenario.

As for advantage of UEFI, well, it's more than 2.2TB+ hard drive support and quicker POST times, but most of it isn't really going to make a noticeable difference in every day use. Depending on the implementation - and I'm not sure anyone has done this - it would for example be possible to download and update the UEFI from within the UEFI.
I think it will take some time before we see the full benefit of UEFI, but it also has some drawbacks, for example OEM systems can be more tightly tied to their copy of Windows.

I'm sorry to say, but I very much doubt Gigabyte will bother with the P55 generation, as to them, this is now a legacy product. I'm aware of the issues with some of these boards, I've had a few of them myself with my previous board, the P55A-UD4P, so yeah.

is this going to help with installing Ivy bridge cpu's into these boards that recieve uefi bios's with regards to putting hackintosh on them.

thelostswede said:
As someone mentioned earlier, for the the dual booters out there, Windows will go spastic when you do this and re-detect all he hardware in the system, because as far as Windows is concerned, you've just installed a new motherboard. It might require a couple of re-boots and maybe even a re-activation of Windows in a worst case scenario.

As for advantage of UEFI, well, it's more than 2.2TB+ hard drive support and quicker POST times, but most of it isn't really going to make a noticeable difference in every day use. Depending on the implementation - and I'm not sure anyone has done this - it would for example be possible to download and update the UEFI from within the UEFI.
I think it will take some time before we see the full benefit of UEFI, but it also has some drawbacks, for example OEM systems can be more tightly tied to their copy of Windows.

I'm sorry to say, but I very much doubt Gigabyte will bother with the P55 generation, as to them, this is now a legacy product. I'm aware of the issues with some of these boards, I've had a few of them myself with my previous board, the P55A-UD4P, so yeah.

Maybe on the future. But this time at least to me not associated with activation of Windows..

I make some test and the computer operates just as before on osx and Win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back