Contribute
Register

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH Thunderbolt (Updated to 10.8.2 and MultiBeast 5.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone had issues with the EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti and HDMI at boot? Currently, I can only see the bios and boot loader splash screen when connected via onboard DVI or onboard HDMI or discrete DVI. When I connect my TV via the graphics card HDMI I don't get any video signal until after the computer has booted into either Widows or OS X.

I have tried all sorts of combinations of BIOS settings to try and get this to work but so far have not been able to produce reliable/repeatable results. I say "reliable/repeatable" BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN THE BIOS SPLASH AND BOOTLOADER on graphics card HDMI ONLY TWO TIMES.

The second time was yesterday. I think the current BIOS settings I have are:

Init Display First: PEG
Internal Graphics: Disabled

Yesterday it worked briefly after I moved the computer from a friends house back to my home and turned it on for the first time. After I rebooted a little later it was no longer showing the bios splash or bootloader.

Bottom line is that it is possible, somehow, and I know that my graphics card is not permanently defective (only intermittently? :/). Also, again, the HDMI does work once you are fully booted into an OS.

If anyone can help me solve this last gremlin I would be so grateful. I realize I'm a bit sketchy on the details, I suppose the best thing would be to make a table of bios settings that I've tried and which ones [don't] work. That said, I don't think there should be anything wrong with the settings I have selected now so it must be something else I'm not thinking of, after all, it should of worked when I had everything set to AUTO!

If anyone else is using HDMI for their primary output and your card does initialize at boot where you can see your bios splash screen, can you let me know what settings you're using?

Thanks
Mike

Just upgraded my Z68 to the Z77X-UP5-TH, still have a 2600K (will upgrade asap) Superb board. I have Been building hackintosh's since this game started 10.4 and have to say this is by far the Best board I have used so far feels like (better) than a real mac. I know I have a few.

Just need to Get the HD3000 working with the series 7, I believe the system definition iMac 12,1 and MacAir / Pro update will help from what I read.

Thanks.

Followed this guide to the dot. and allmost everything seems to work except Audio (even when installing Multibeast and the AL892) and some of my Sata disks

Have 1x 240GB SSD in white connector.
Have 1x3TB Western digital in black connector mac journaled
Have 2x3TB Seagate in black connector. exFat and Fat32

Somehow the two Seagate doesnt work, just get mounting error during osx startup. when i go into disk utility i cant mount them either
Any tip on this one? its driving me crazy...

Also there is one more weird thing
i have a Amd5870 card, when i start up the machine i have to switch between the two Dual Link DVI connectors on the card. so if i restart i have to switch to the other output from the card and so on....=P

EDIT:
Think i managed to fix the Seagate disk problem, didnt seem it was driver related, put them in external case and formatet. once i did this i could connect them in my computer again (still wasnt able to mount), but this time i was able to format them from within the computer, now they both work. NOTE do not format 3TB with exFAT!!!, the Gigabyte motherboard will not accept such large exFat drives and will hang during bios startup...

Audio i gave up, tried a tip with installing mac pro 5.1, but didnt find that kext that everyone said i had to delete... restartet and of course kernel panic... booted with -x safe mode and multibeasted back to imac 13.3=) now i use an external usb soundcard and the sound works...

still have that weird issue with having to change dvi port every time i restart though.... any tip on how to fix this?

I am building a new Hackintosh with this board. I want run two displays. The system is up and running without much hassle but it seems that the Thunderbolt port isn't working.

I have one display connected through HD4000 DVI and the second through TB port 1 (Mini display port to DVI adapter). I get no signal through that port. Did I miss a Multibeast setting?

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH Thunderbolt - 10.8.2 and Multibeast 5.2
Core i73770k
16 GB Corsair XMS3 1666 ram
20" HP display DVI
27" ips HP Display

Replying to my last post... I confirmed as others have said, with the DVI port on HD4000 occupied by a display, TB Port 1 will not run the second display. I had read it before but didn't process it. Please excuse my immediately previous post. It has been awhile since I have posted or played around with my Hack as it has been functioning so well. This is on a new build for a buddy.

That being said, again, plugging your second display in TB Port 2 will allow you to run your second monitor in this mobo/graphics combo.

Regards

@Stephengeorg

Try updating to the F11 BIOS and installing the latest Nvidia GEForce Mac drivers in addition to the CUDA drivers
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.05f02-driver.html
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda-mac-driver.html
Alright, it's been a while and I wanted to report back.

I initially thought the CUDA update fixed things (I had already installed the Nvidia drivers), but I was wrong—in a few days it started again.

Yesterday I updated to the F11 BIOS (I was on F4), I went out today and came back to find my computer frozen (still capable of moving the mouse) and the console full of errors:

Feb 14 12:55:19 hackv2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0xd = GR: SW Notify Error
Feb 14 12:55:39 hackv2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!
Feb 14 12:55:39 hackv2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0xd = GR: SW Notify Error
Feb 14 12:55:59 hackv2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

That's a very, very small excerpt, but basically it's hours of channel exceptions and timeouts.

It appears the crash occurred at 11:44 (since that's what was frozen on my computer), but the channel exceptions and weird console logs actually start several minutes before that, at 11:28:

Feb 14 11:27:13 hackv2.local Final Cut Pro[2529]: CGSSetWindowAlpha: Invalid window 0x26f
Feb 14 11:27:43 --- last message repeated 10 times ---
Feb 14 11:27:49 hackv2.local Final Cut Pro[2529]: CGSSetWindowAlpha: Invalid window 0x275
Feb 14 11:27:49 hackv2.local Final Cut Pro[2529]: CGSSetWindowAlpha: Invalid window 0x275
Feb 14 11:27:49 --- last message repeated 2 times ---
Feb 14 11:27:49 hackv2.local WindowServer[112]: CGXSetWindowListAlpha: Operation on a window 0x276 requiring rights kCGSWindowRightPresenter by caller Final Cut Pro
Feb 14 11:28:05 --- last message repeated 14 times ---
Feb 14 11:28:05 hackv2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x2c = GR: Fault During Context Switch
Feb 14 11:28:05 hackv2 kernel[0]: IOVendorGLContext::ReportGPURestart

Then it turns into channel exceptions and timeouts again. Keep in mind my computer kept running during this time (it froze only 10 minutes into a 2 hour export from Compressor, and the export was finished once I rebooted).

Anyone know anything else I can try? Once again, my system setup is:

Corsair HX650
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
Intel i7 3770k Ivy Bridge 3.5ghz
SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8gb) 1600mhz
GTX 670 (EVGA)
Not using HD 4000
Mac Pro 5,1 System Definition

Thanks everyone for your help.

Alright, it's been a while and I wanted to report back.

I initially thought the CUDA update fixed things (I had already installed the Nvidia drivers), but I was wrong—in a few days it started again.

Yesterday I updated to the F11 BIOS (I was on F4), I went out today and came back to find my computer frozen (still capable of moving the mouse) and the console full of errors:

Feb 14 12:55:19 hackv2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0xd = GR: SW Notify Error
Feb 14 12:55:39 hackv2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!
Feb 14 12:55:39 hackv2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0xd = GR: SW Notify Error
Feb 14 12:55:59 hackv2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

That's a very, very small excerpt, but basically it's hours of channel exceptions and timeouts.

It appears the crash occurred at 11:44 (since that's what was frozen on my computer), but the channel exceptions and weird console logs actually start several minutes before that, at 11:28:

Feb 14 11:27:13 hackv2.local Final Cut Pro[2529]: CGSSetWindowAlpha: Invalid window 0x26f
Feb 14 11:27:43 --- last message repeated 10 times ---
Feb 14 11:27:49 --- last message repeated 2 times ---
Feb 14 11:27:49 hackv2.local WindowServer[112]: CGXSetWindowListAlpha: Operation on a window 0x276 requiring rights kCGSWindowRightPresenter by caller Final Cut Pro
Feb 14 11:28:05 --- last message repeated 14 times ---
Feb 14 11:28:05 hackv2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x2c = GR: Fault During Context Switch
Feb 14 11:28:05 hackv2 kernel[0]: IOVendorGLContext::ReportGPURestart

Then it turns into channel exceptions and timeouts again. Keep in mind my computer kept running during this time (it froze only 10 minutes into a 2 hour export from Compressor, and the export was finished once I rebooted).

Anyone know anything else I can try? Once again, my system setup is:

Corsair HX650
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
Intel i7 3770k Ivy Bridge 3.5ghz
SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8gb) 1600mhz
GTX 670 (EVGA)
Not using HD 4000
Mac Pro 5,1 System Definition

Thanks everyone for your help.

Have you tried installing the Macbook Air and MacBook Pro Update 2.0??? It adds native 7 series chipset support and newer NVidia drivers. You'll have to change your SMBIOS to MacBookPro10,1 to install it, then change it back to MacPro5,1. I installed the update, my hack has been running solid!!!

Hi folks! I'd like to share a strange random issue I'm experiencing...Three days ago I built a new rig with this mobo and installed Multibeast following the instructions written here. In general the system seems to work but sometimes it randomly boots erroneously becoming slower during the boot and getting to the desktop with everything working except for usb (keybord and mouse don't work and consequently the cursor is blocked)...This only occurs at some occasion but I'm not still getting some kind of pattern in order to fix it...Actually on one occasion I booted in v-mode and I read something about no enough current to the IOUSB family.It' s strande because in general my rig seems to work except for thi sstrange random behavior...I'm very puzzled. Thanks in advance for any suggestion or hint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back