- May 31, 2013
- RX 570
- Classic Mac
- Mobile Phone
vzvl's IvyBridge ATX Build
GA-Z77X-UD5H - i7-3770K - HD 4000 + RTX 570
GA-Z77X-UD5H - i7-3770K - HD 4000 + RTX 570
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Rev1.1 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 Memory
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge Processor
Corsair Carbide 330R Quiet Case
Corsair TX 650M Power Supply
This build description is aimed at everyone running on a Gigabyte Board (ideally UD5H) with a discrete
I'm using the most recent BIOS provided by Gigabyte which is F16j (Download Page). Settings are the following (pretty much following the tonymacx86 Installation Guide):
- Load Optimized Defaults
- BIOS Features -> Fast Boot (Disabled), CSM Support (Never), Windows 8 Features (Windows 8 QS)
- Peripherals -> SATA Mode Selection (AHCI), xHCI Mode (Auto), XHCI/EHCI Hand-off (Enabled)
- Power Management -> Wake on LAN (Disabled), High Precision Event Timer(Enabled)
- If you have a dedicated GPU (e.g. RX470/570/etc.) choose Peripherals -> PEG for your dedicated card (works with my config, haven't tried fresh installyet!)
- for installation purposes you might want to use your internal Intel GPU (IGFX) - not tested by me
Creating an Installer
There are two possibilities for creating a bootable USB installer.
The most common one would be the approach with UniBeast which can be read about here. You can pretty much follow it as written until and including Step 4. So everything that comes after the initial install I will cover in this guide.
The other method would be the install media approach, outlined by RehabMan in this thread under "Installing Clover to USB" and "createinstallmedia method". Although his guide is intended for Laptop users you can simply follow his GPT Option and instead of running the default Clover installer from sourceforge, use the tonymacx86 Clover Build.
Kexts & Drivers
Note: You can mount the EFI partition of your USB installer with Clover Configurator or EFI Mounter v3
If not present already under /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI or /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/ download and place the following in the appropriate folders:
- (USBInjectAll.kext) - if neccessary(?)
After setting up your BIOS properly and having the USB installer ready, you can startup your PC and press the "F12" key to get into the boot device selection menu. Chose "UEFI: ..." and whatever the appropriate name for the USB stick is. In the Clover menu choose "Install macOS from ... ". Follow the Installation procedure as you would usually do.
Note: If you followed RehabMans create install media Method you can avoid APFS conversion by entering the following in terminal when entering the macOS installer:
/Volumes/"Image Volume/Install macOS Catalina.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --volume the_target_volume --converttoapfs NO --agreetolicense
Upon the first restart don't forget to hit the "F12" button again and select your USB. In the clover menu choose "Install macOS from your_drive_name". The installer will take some time to finish (~15 minutes), be patient! When it finishes setup your accounts as you would normally do, I recommend NOT signing into you iCloud account just yet (see System Parameters/iMessage).
Once the installer has finished you will most likely find yourself on the desktop of a fresh macOS install.
Download (if not on your USB) the newest Clover build from github and install Clover to your system drive (boot volume). After having installed Clover to your drive run an appropriate EFI Mounter to access your boot volumes EFI drive (see Kexts & Drivers). Copy the kexts and drivers that you copied to your USB installer to the appropriate folders on your system drives EFI.
We are now going to tackle three (optional four) more things - SystemParameters/iMessage, Audio and Nvidia driver:
- Basic Setup
- Disable SIP by opening the config.plist and changing RT Variables -> CsrActivateConfig to 0x67
- In config ACPI -> Patches and add EHC1 to EH01, EHC2 to EH02 and SAT0 to SATA
- In general just follow this excellent guide for setting up your config or download mine below
- System Parameters/iMessage:
- Open the /EFI/Clover/config.plist with Clover Configurator (install it to your system drive, you'll need it more often)
- Navigate to SMBIOS and choose the appropriate system definition next to the big question mark. In this case it would be iMac 13,2.
- Next you can follow along this (again) excellent guide by P1LGRIM: "An iDiots Guide to iMessage"
- Ignore the last bit about NVRAM as the 7 series board by Gigabyte should work fine
- In Clover configurator go to Devices -> Audio -> Inject: 1
- Be sure to have AppleALC.kext in your system drives EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder
- Dedicated GPU (AMD):
- In Clover configurator (or similar) go to ACPI -> Patches and add GFX0 to IGPU, PEGP to GFX0 and HECI to IMEI
- Although the guide for WhateverGreen recommends removing these Patches in my case (monitors connected to dedicated RX 570 card) it did not work without them!!!
- 03/2020 - Catalina Update
- mm/yyyy - Test (and add) CPU/iGPU Power Management by toleda
- mm/yyyy - Test (and add) Custom Entries for Clover Boot Menu
- Note: macOS Big Sur might require switch to Ivy Bridge based Mac Pro 6,1 SMBIOS