http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

Corsair Carbide 330R Quiet Case
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R0ZHWC2/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Corsair TX 650M Power Supply
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N18J52E/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139031

Comments

Intention
This build description is aimed at everyone running on a Gigabyte Board (ideally UD5H) with a discrete Nvidia AMD GPU installed in the system. It was primarily created to complement the many other build descriptions and guides out there for the 7-Series Gigabyte boards and to focus on what has happened since and tries to summarize all the new neat functions that have been added/made possible with the help of other forum members since. This Build was first assembled back in 2013 with the help of Slugnet's Golden Master Build. Kudos to him for creating such a neat guide, helped me a lot back in the days and getting started with hackintoshing.

Installation

UEFI BIOS
I'm using the most recent BIOS provided by Gigabyte which is F16j (Download Page). Settings are the following (pretty much following the tonymacx86 Installation Guide):
  1. Load Optimized Defaults
  2. BIOS Features -> Fast Boot (Disabled), CSM Support (Never), Windows 8 Features (Windows 8 QS)
  3. Peripherals -> SATA Mode Selection (AHCI), xHCI Mode (Auto), XHCI/EHCI Hand-off (Enabled)
  4. Power Management -> Wake on LAN (Disabled), High Precision Event Timer(Enabled)
  5. If you have a dedicated GPU (e.g. RX470/570/etc.) choose Peripherals -> PEG for your dedicated card (works with my config, haven't tried fresh installyet!)
    • for installation purposes you might want to use your internal Intel GPU (IGFX) - not tested by me

Creating an Installer

There are two possibilities for creating a bootable USB installer.
The most common one would be the approach with UniBeast which can be read about here. You can pretty much follow it as written until and including Step 4. So everything that comes after the initial install I will cover in this guide.

The other method would be the install media approach, outlined by RehabMan in this thread under "Installing Clover to USB" and "createinstallmedia method". Although his guide is intended for Laptop users you can simply follow his GPT Option and instead of running the default Clover installer from sourceforge, use the tonymacx86 Clover Build.

Kexts & Drivers
Note: You can mount the EFI partition of your USB installer with Clover Configurator or EFI Mounter v3
If not present already under /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI or /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/ download and place the following in the appropriate folders:
  • HFSPlus.efi
  • AptioMemoryFix.efi
  • ApfsDriverLoader.efi
  • DataHubDxe.efi
  • AudioDxe.efi
  • FSInject.efi
  • SMCHelper.efi

• FakeSMC.kext
  • WhateverGreen.kext
  • Lilu.kext
  • AppleALC.kext
  • IntelMausi.kext
  • AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
  • (USBInjectAll.kext) - if neccessary(?)

Installing Catalina

After setting up your BIOS properly and having the USB installer ready, you can startup your PC and press the "F12" key to get into the boot device selection menu. Chose "UEFI: ..." and whatever the appropriate name for the USB stick is. In the Clover menu choose "Install macOS from ... ". Follow the Installation procedure as you would usually do.

Note: If you followed RehabMans create install media Method you can avoid APFS conversion by entering the following in terminal when entering the macOS installer:
Code:
/Volumes/"Image Volume/Install macOS Catalina.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --volume the_target_volume --converttoapfs NO --agreetolicense

Upon the first restart don't forget to hit the "F12" button again and select your USB. In the clover menu choose "Install macOS from your_drive_name". The installer will take some time to finish (~15 minutes), be patient! When it finishes setup your accounts as you would normally do, I recommend NOT signing into you iCloud account just yet (see System Parameters/iMessage).

Post Installation

Once the installer has finished you will most likely find yourself on the desktop of a fresh macOS install.
Download (if not on your USB) the newest Clover build from github and install Clover to your system drive (boot volume). After having installed Clover to your drive run an appropriate EFI Mounter to access your boot volumes EFI drive (see Kexts & Drivers). Copy the kexts and drivers that you copied to your USB installer to the appropriate folders on your system drives EFI.
We are now going to tackle three (optional four) more things - SystemParameters/iMessage, Audio and Nvidia driver:

1. Basic Setup
    • Disable SIP by opening the config.plist and changing RT Variables -> CsrActivateConfig to 0x67
    • In config ACPI -> Patches and add EHC1 to EH01, EHC2 to EH02 and SAT0 to SATA
    • In general just follow this excellent guide for setting up your config or download mine below
  2. System Parameters/iMessage:
    • Open the /EFI/Clover/config.plist with Clover Configurator (install it to your system drive, you'll need it more often)
    • Navigate to SMBIOS and choose the appropriate system definition next to the big question mark. In this case it would be iMac 13,2.
    • Next you can follow along this (again) excellent guide by P1LGRIM: "An iDiots Guide to iMessage"
    • Ignore the last bit about NVRAM as the 7 series board by Gigabyte should work fine
  3. Audio:
    • In Clover configurator go to Devices -> Audio -> Inject: 1
    • Be sure to have AppleALC.kext in your system drives EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder
  4. Dedicated GPU (AMD):
    • In Clover configurator (or similar) go to ACPI -> Patches and add GFX0 to IGPU, PEGP to GFX0 and HECI to IMEI
    • Although the guide for WhateverGreen recommends removing these Patches in my case (monitors connected to dedicated RX 570 card) it did not work without them!!!
Timeline
  • 03/2020 - Catalina Update
  • mm/yyyy - Test (and add) CPU/iGPU Power Management by toleda
  • mm/yyyy - Test (and add) Custom Entries for Clover Boot Menu
  • Note: macOS Big Sur might require switch to Ivy Bridge based Mac Pro 6,1 SMBIOS

Attachments

• config_09202020.plist
    9.3 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
UniBeast and MultiBeast for Catalina are now available. So, your installation becomes a lot easier.

Hey Stork,
thanks for your reply on this fairly "old" setup ;) To be honest I haven't used UniBeast and Multibeast for a looong time ever since I switched over to Clover. Always used rehabmans guides as a rough guidance for my installs. If it comes to the point that I'll have to do a fresh install I'll defintiely give them a try because they indeed provided a fairly simple install process.
Cheers vzvl

Hey Stork,
thanks for your reply on this fairly "old" setup ;) To be honest I haven't used UniBeast and Multibeast for a looong time ever since I switched over to Clover. Always used rehabmans guides as a rough guidance for my installs. If it comes to the point that I'll have to do a fresh install I'll defintiely give them a try because they indeed provided a fairly simple install process.
Cheers vzvl

Once the installer has finished you will most likely find yourself on the desktop of a fresh macOS install.
Download (if not on your USB) the newest Clover build from github and install Clover to your system drive (boot volume). After having installed Clover to your drive run an appropriate EFI Mounter to access your boot volumes EFI drive (see Kexts & Drivers). Copy the kexts and drivers that you copied to your USB installer to the appropriate folders on your system drives EFI.

what settings. do you choose ton install clover from the package?

Hey grugattony,
sorry for not getting back to you earlier. I always choose the following:
  • UEfi BIOS
  • Clover in ESP
  • All Recommended drivers
  • ApfsDriverLoader
  • AptioMemoryFix

Hi VZvl

I’m trying to get up and running again after a number of years away. Although your build used an Nvidia card, and in the preamble you talk about this being about how to do HD4000+Nvidia, it looks like you’ve changed to an AMD architecture card?

Am I right in thinking that to go beyond High Sierra you have to have AMD rather than Nvidia because there are no drivers?

Do you have the AMD card and HD4000 working properly under Catalina?

Hey KaizenReborn,
yes you're right, I've switched to AMD by now. Haven't really found the time updating my guide... It works quite well with the AMD card, I think I havent really changed anything in the config, apart from disabling anything that had to do with Nvidia. Simply plug and play with Whatevergreen.
If I remember correctly it was indeed from Mojave onwards, that drivers were discontinued for Nvidia cards.
According to iStat that monitors the system both RX570 and HD4000 should be working. Although I'm not sure if there is any benefit in having HD4000. With newer integrated GPUs from Intell you've at least got some decent encoding with H.264 and H.265, HD4000 has only some capabilities in H.264 if I remember correctly. MY system is mainly running of the RX570, over display port and a second monitor daisy chained to the first one.

I am going to be doing this exact update. Got a new SSD and a RX570 on the way.
I am curious about the BIOS version you used ( F16j )...Was there a particular reason to go with that, other than is it the latest version available? I ask because it is apparently a Beta Bios ver. I am wondering if the F14 ver. would be better to avoid any stability issues, since it is the last "official" release.

Have you had any issues at all since you did this update? Thanks.

Can't really remember why I chose it. I think I had some problems at that time, so I just updated as one of the problem solving steps. But I can not say for sure that the BIOS was the actual culprit. So just try it with whatever BIOS version you have. Should be fine

EDIT: updated the config to what I have running now without any issues. SMBIOS has to be changed obviously, mixed it up before uploading.

Last edited:
Hi VZvL,

a bit later to the party, but maybe you could provide me with an answer, as I have no clue on how to work on any part of the Hack if I don't get past the BIOS.

I have the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH5-i77 rev. 1.0, and I recently bought a used Asus ASUS Dual OC Radeon RX 580 8 GB. I switched from my EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti because of compatibility issues. I ran with the iGPU for a while, but wanted to upgrade.

I don't seem to be able to disable CSM support in UEFI BIOS "BIOS features". Every time I try that, the BIOS hangs on boot, or at least I don't get video output. I have to reset the BIOS, and boot with "Other OS", or "Windows 8" but with CSM set to always. With these settings I can run a clean install (with UniBeast/MultiBeast) and follow your settings, but the video card blacks out during the final installing of Catalina, or turns to a grey screen when I try to run Clover config after completing Catalina install. The Asus does get recognized with the UniBeast install USB settings.

Do you have any idea if it has to do with the CSM support? Did you have to have it disabled to boot bios?

After several similar fresh installs, that all ended differently (freeze/turn black/reboot/grey screen), I think it comes down to this. Hope you have an idea.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back