Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming and GA-Z270X-UD5 Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok thanks . But I can use a TB3 extension card .

When that’s the only difference which Bord of the two in this thread can you advise me ?
(UD3 or Ultra Gaming )

The Thunderbolt 3 is not the only difference between the UD5 and UD3.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Comparison/Result/2?pids=6110,6111

According to the comparison, the UD5 :
(1) Seems to support higher speed memory
(2) Supports DisplayPort /HDMI output from the board (only HDMI on UD3)
(3) Has 2 LAN ports (UD3 has only one)
(4) Has a U.2 port (disables 2 SATA ports when used)
(5) No Thunderbolt header on motherboard (UD3 has)
(6) Has a USB-C port that doubles as Thunderbolt 3

These are the major differences between the UD5 and UD3.

For the comparison between the UD3 and Ultra Gaming you can see :
https://www.gigabyte.com/Comparison/Result/2?pids=6095,6110

The Ultra Gaming has a U.2 port and a DVI-D port at the back for display output, which the UD3 lacks.

Personally I will go for the UD3 if given the choice since I don't use integrated graphics and I have no use for U.2.

Hello, Guys! I'm thinking about buying the Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming, because of thunderbolt 3 port.

Is it working on your hackintoshes, please?????

Hello, Guys! I'm thinking about buying the Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming, because of thunderbolt 3 port.

Is it working on your hackintoshes, please?????

The Z270X-Ultra Gaming does NOT have a Thunderbolt 3 port. The USB-C port on the motherboard does NOT support Thunderbolt 3.

The Z270X-Ultra Gaming does NOT have a Thunderbolt 3 port. The USB-C port on the motherboard does NOT support Thunderbolt 3.
Hello, I already figured it out and bought a Z170X-Ultra Gaming with Thunderbolt 3 - 40GBps, power delivery....original from Intel, which is supposed to be also in original Macs. Some people got it working here. So, right now, I'm trying to install macOS, and we will see :) thanks for replying.

@Jamesbond007 do you have installed 10.13 on yours ?

No, I have not. I am still running Sierra on my main system and I consider High Sierra to be still buggy and problematic. I won't consider installing it until much later, and when I do I will install in a separate partition from the Sierra partition.

I bought the z270x Ultra Gaming with the intention of building a system with a Thunderbolt port, since I couldn't find the UD5 for sale anymore, anywhere. At least the Ultra Gaming has a Thunderbolt Header/Connector on the board.

After a lot of fiddling, I got Thunderbolt working by installing an Asus Thunderboltex 3 card in PCIx slot 4. I would have used the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge for this, but it's not available anywhere. Using the Asus card allowed me to connect (and register) my new UA Apollo 8 audio interface under Mac OS. Yay! So far, everything seems to work. I get Audio I/O just fine, but have yet to do a load test with a lot of channels going, etc.

The header cable from the Asus Thunderbolt card to the mainboard is critical, though. This has been said in another thread, but without this being connected properly, Thunderbolt will not even show as a configuration option in the bios. The original cable that comes with the Asus card doesn't fit (it's also 5 pin, but the spacing between contacts is too wide. It's a connector just like the old CD-ROM-to-soundcard audio connectors from back in the day, but it needs to be narrower than that), so you have to make yourself a custom cable for it. In my case, I removed the actual cables/contacts from the plastic connector, and put some shrink tubing around the individual contacts and connected them to the pins of Thunderbolt header on the motherboard one by one. This was enough to get it recognized (after installing all updated chipset drivers etc. under Windows 10 Pro, as well as the Thunderbolt drivers for both, ASUS Thunderboltex 3 and Gigabyte Alpine Ridge on the Windows side first). However, the cable I made doesn't have good contact and sometimes Thunderbolt doesn't appear. I think the connectors/contacts themselves are too big and should be a bit smaller for the pins on the motherboard. I'm still trying to source the proper connector for a better fit (someone at an electronic store said that I'll need a .5 instead of a .1 connector... not sure). Any tips where I could find this? Does this type of connector have an official name? (Molex something?)

Also, I'm using the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, and an Apple 2 meter Thunderbolt cable.

I figured I'd also try updating the OS to 10.13.3, that came out just before I was ready to try all of this, and applied the Multibeast patches after that. This all worked out fine, and I'm running 10.13.3 booting from the HD at this point, using Thunderbolt with UA Apollo 8 and all.

Hopefully this helps someone trying to do something similar.

The UD5 has a USB-C port that also supports Thunderbolt 3 since the board has a Intel Thunderbolt chip. The UD3 also has a USB-C port but that port does not support Thunderbolt 3 as the motherboard does not have the Intel Thunderbolt chip.
Hi
I need help to get a UD5... would anybody would know where to get one ?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back