Contribute
Register

Giacomoleopardo's Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WiFi Build for DB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I read that too somewhere...the strange thing is that GA-Z77N has only Intel usb3 controller and as a matter of fact it gives that problem, and in Asrock Z77E-ITX that happens only with Asmedia usb3 controller, while the Intel one works properly! o_O

Interesting....out of curiosity (going from something else I read), can you tell me whether the affected USB ports show as built-in in SystemProfiler? I also saw that you might be able to check your logs to see if there are any messages related to USB ports and sleepcapability.

This is my last question... Thanks again for all your help!

What series of tests could I go through to see if native power management is working properly?
I know to test sleep and autosleep... But is there anything else one could do?

Interesting....out of curiosity (going from something else I read), can you tell me whether the affected USB ports show as built-in in SystemProfiler? I also saw that you might be able to check your logs to see if there are any messages related to USB ports and sleepcapability.
Unfortunately, I don't have GA-Z77N anymore, but in ASRock Z77E System Profiler, USB ports show as below
62357-usb.png

This is my last question... Thanks again for all your help!

What series of tests could I go through to see if native power management is working properly?
I know to test sleep and autosleep... But is there anything else one could do?
Take a look at post #2/Step 3 - Post Installation, after the UPDATE #2 it's all explained there. Feel free to ask anything you need, man! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again to Giacomoleopardo for starting this thread and to all the members!

I was able to get everything working properly, including sleep + auto sleep + wakeup of the mouse & keyboard.

I was building a computer for my wife and was constantly tinkering with the build as it was not waking up from sleep properly. I was pulling out my USb bus analyzer to confirm that the mouse + keyboard were not re-enumerating properly when she suggested that the build was too complicated.

I stopped to look at some verbose boot ups and noticed the system hanging on waking up the onboard Bluetooth + wifi card.

I then had the idea to stop and take everything out but the bare board (no vid card, removed mini-pci e bt/wifi card) and start the build again from there.

Roughly,

0) updated the bios to f3d, took out the motherboard battery to clear the bios values, reinserted the battery, loaded default values for the bios, turned off pll voltage, set the first display to igfx
1) I loaded the Mountain Lion 10.8.4 installer via Unibeast onto a USB stick
2) Used the USB stick to load it onto an SSD
3) rebooted using the USB sticks loader to load my SSDs ML installation
4) I then used MaciASL to save the current DSDT
5) took the DSDT to another Mac and loaded the patches as per Giacomoleopardo's post, I chose the version for HD4000 (no vid card)
6) I then copied the generated DSDT to the SSDs desktop and ran Multibeast as per Giacomoleopardo's post
7) I then did the work to generate the ssdt.aml file and used Chameleon Wizard to set up the boot.plist file to use it and set the machine type to mac mini i7
8) I then confirmed that sleep / autosleep was working and that the mouse and keyboard were re-enumerating properly (this is with darkwake=0)
9) I set up speakers and verified that the motherboard line out was playing sound to them, I did NOT test the motherboard mic input
10) i used trim enabler

What doesn't work?

1) Well I've noticed that "System Report" shows the one memory stick is 1600 MHz and the other is 1333 but they really are both 1600 sticks and the bios shows them as both running at 1600
2) I've noticed that the ethernet cable needs to be connected at boot time for the adaptor to work. If you start it without the cable in and then connect it the machine assigns itself an ip address.

As an experiment I tried reinstalling my Nviidia gt 240 card and switched to the bios to start with it and got a kernel panic. I have no idea why this happened. Perhaps I need to use the Maciasl patch that has support for the video cards?

The wife is happy with the build. Thanks to everyone for your help. Feel free to ask questions.
Hi Somer, thanks for your report.
For the memory stick reported working @1333 MHz I guess it's just cosmetic, as in about this mac, ram is reported 16 GB @1600 (2x8GB). I have no idea how to verify it, though.
About Ethernet cable, I didn't have the issue you described. Please if you come to a solution I would appreciate if you report it here.
For nVidia card these are the mandatory steps:
  • use another DSDT: you have to start from the dsdt you extracted just after the install process (aka "clean dsdt") and patch it with PJALM's Z77N-WIFI patch and after that use PJALM's Generic Discrete Graphics (AMD/nVidia).
  • set Init Display First as PEG in bios
  • boot with GraphicsEnabler=No if you're using Chimera or Chameleon bootloader (you can add the flag in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist)
One more thing: for usb, the dsdt patch is enough to make them working properly (Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext is fine as well, but since GA Z77N has only Intel controller, it won't be necessary to add that kext).

Hello everybody!
I have a problem with the same motherboard:

After install MultiBeast Drivers:

View attachment 62786

...and Reboot I get stuck because of the following issue:

View attachment 62790

If someone have any ideas, please let know!!

More info about my build: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ifi-i5-3570-8gb-intel-hd-graphics-4000-a.html

Thanks in advance
I guess it's a graphics problem: you chose an Intel i5 3570 cpu, which has hd 2500... Mountain lion supports hd 4000 (i5 3570K). Don't you have a discrete graphic card?

Thanks a lot for your answer! you're right!
I already show that problem!

graphic.jpg

Which one would you recommend me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back