Contribute
Register

Giacomoleopardo's Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WiFi Build for DB

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a problem with the boot loader screen not being fullscreen.
the res is right for my screen but theres a 2 inch black border around the whole thing
when i get to the login screen it goes full screen and i looked in the display pref
and theres an option checked called "Overscan" which I'm guessing is stretching
the screen to fit.

guess my question is that is there something i can put in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist
that will fix it.

i have a gigabyte geforce gtx 670 as my main card and everything else is the same as your build.
and for the monitor its a 27inch ASUS 1920x1080x32@60
and I'm using HDMI as my connection

thank for the build tutorial btw!!

i have a gigabyte geforce gtx 670 as my main card and everything else is the same as your build.
and for the monitor its a 27inch ASUS 1920x1080x32@60
and I'm using HDMI as my connection

thank for the build tutorial btw!!
It's normal for HDMI via discrete graphics to underscan, it's not a bootloader matter (even bios screen is underscan). As far as I know there's not a solution.

that sucks

also anyone have the issue where the ethernet disconnects when your downloading and surfing alot?

Hi, Joe
I actually don't know if darkwake is related to the nVidia drivers, I turned it into darkwake=10 to enable autosleep, that's all I know about that. Anyway: yes, follow the whole guide and hopefully your hack will be fully working. I tried not only to make the guide as simple as possible to follow, but also to explain why I did those steps. Try to understand the meaning of 'em: I believe that would be the most important thing for an hackintosher.
One little tip I can give you is to not install nVidia drivers, OSX has its own fully working nVidia ones. I suggest to install Cuda drivers for Mac, since the last release has full support for 10.8.4. If you're using Adobe CS6 suite, you'll have to enable Cuda for Premiere and After Effect as explained here
One more thing, you can choose MacMini 6,1 (i5 cpu) if you want. In post #1, after the MultiBeast screenshot, I explain why I chose MacMini 6,2. I think both SysDef are ok for you. Maybe test wich one gives you better speedsteps. :thumbup:

Hi Giacomoleopardo,

thank you for your help. Sorry for my stupid questions! I'm still I hackintosh-newbie and was just asking for your advice! I had a day off today, so I had time to work on it again and ran some tests. I had it up and running for a while, but then I encountered some strange system "freezes" with the GTX650 Ti, when I clicked on "Mission Control" or try to access my "Time Machine" - volume, system freezes that I can only press the reset button!

I assume it is a graphics-related problem, so I tried to set GraphicsEnabler=Yes, but the system hangs up right after boot, with white screen and apple-logo, before the login-mask appears! So I decided to update my USB-Stick to 10.8.4 and tried a fresh install with the GTX650Ti attached, as you suggested! And it worked without any problems! :thumbup::D:D That's the good news here! I decided to leave the default-nvidia drivers that come with 10.8.4, to see if it is a driver related problem, but the problems remained, graphic still freezes! :banghead::cry:

So I finally decided to send the GTX650 back and use the HD4000 (GraphicsEnabler=Yes) and made a fresh install directly to 10.8.4 without any problems. Now everything works fine! Finally....:headbang:

I will try to set up power-management and speed-stepping tomorrow or so and give you a detailed report!

-Joe

Hi Giacomoleopardo,

thank you for your help. Sorry for my stupid questions! I'm still I hackintosh-newbie and was just asking for your advice! I had a day off today, so I had time to work on it again and ran some tests. I had it up and running for a while, but then I encountered some strange system "freezes" with the GTX650 Ti, when I clicked on "Mission Control" or try to access my "Time Machine" - volume, system freezes that I can only press the reset button!

I assume it is a graphics-related problem, so I tried to set GraphicsEnabler=Yes, but the system hangs up right after boot, with white screen and apple-logo, before the login-mask appears! So I decided to update my USB-Stick to 10.8.4 and tried a fresh install with the GTX650Ti attached, as you suggested! And it worked without any problems! :thumbup::D:D That's the good news here! I decided to leave the default-nvidia drivers that come with 10.8.4, to see if it is a driver related problem, but the problems remained, graphic still freezes! :banghead::cry:

So I finally decided to send the GTX650 back and use the HD4000 (GraphicsEnabler=Yes) and made a fresh install directly to 10.8.4 without any problems. Now everything works fine! Finally....:headbang:

I will try to set up power-management and speed-stepping tomorrow or so and give you a detailed report!

-Joe

Hey Joe, don't feel sorry for asking! We all have to learn, I believe. About your GFX problem, since I no longer have this rig, I can't test it (actually, I don't use Time Machine either). If you will have a new gfx card we'll see what happens, then.
Thanks for pointing the issue out, though, maybe in some Graphics thread someone has that problem as well, I would appreciate if you'll post any kind of potential solution in the future! ;)

Hey Joe, don't feel sorry for asking! We all have to learn, I believe. About your GFX problem, since I no longer have this rig, I can't test it (actually, I don't use Time Machine either). If you will have a new gfx card we'll see what happens, then.
Thanks for pointing the issue out, though, maybe in some Graphics thread someone has that problem as well, I would appreciate if you'll post any kind of potential solution in the future! ;)

Hey Gia,

I actually bought that card because it should be more compatible than my old GTX560TI, but I will send it back to amazon. I finally came across this thread here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...6xx-kepler-cards-work-graphicsenabler-no.html
and Im not really sure if it is a GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No - related issue. But, anyway, if find a better graphics card, I will do a test and post the solution here, of course! :) Perhaps my build will find it's way into the Golden-Build - section someday, too! :headbang:

I didn't use Time Machine that much in the past, but I came across an interesting thread in a german hackintosh-forum that explained pretty well how you can create your own time-capsule with an externel hard drive and a Raspberry Pi, so I gave it a try and backed up my data, before I tested the new GPU! ;)

You see, I'm a perfectionist and want to have my machine as close to the original as possible! ;)

best regards!

Im not really sure if it is a GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No - related issue. But, anyway, if find a better graphics card, I will do a test and post the solution here, of course!
GE=Yes allows the bootloader to run its graphics injection, GE=No simply doesn't: that means the bootloader use Graphics property of the system. nVidia cards like yours are natively supported in OSX, so no need for chimera graphics stuff. I don't think your issue depends by the GE=Yes, as yourself tested, with GE=Yes the system hangs on apple wheel, doesn't it?

GE=Yes allows the bootloader to run its graphics injection, GE=No simply doesn't: that means the bootloader use Graphics property of the system. nVidia cards like yours are natively supported in OSX, so no need for chimera graphics stuff. I don't think your issue depends by the GE=Yes, as yourself tested, with GE=Yes the system hangs on apple wheel, doesn't it?

No, it doesn't! That's the point! ;) It hangs right after boot (just when the login-mask should appear) with the white screen and grey apple-logo, no spinning wheel at all, even in verbose boot! That made me thinking it is depending on The GE-Mode! But I understand now what GE does! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back